Home Cigar 101

Nestor Plasencia sticks

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
I am a big fan of Cu-avana Intenso and I also like the Cuba Libre made by NP, does anyone know what other sticks are produced or blended by this maker?

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Off the top of my head:

Rocky Patel Connecticut
    Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve
    El Mejor Emerald & Esspresso

That's all I can remember at the moment. I'm sure there's more.

Edit: These too:

5 Vegas Cask-Strength II
    Alec Bradley Harvest Selection '97
    Gurkha Avenger G-5
    Maxx

There's a Nestor Placensia sampler that I saw most of these in.
  • smith001smith001 Posts: 8
    Hey,
    Little cigars (sometimes called small cigars) differ greatly from regular cigars. They weigh less than cigars and cigarillos,but, more importantly, they resemble cigarettes in size, shape, packaging, and filters.Sales of little cigars quadrupled in the U.S. from 1971 to 1973 in response to the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act, which banned the broadcast of cigarette advertisements and required stronger health warnings on cigarette packs. Cigars were exempt from the ban, and perhaps more importantly, were taxed at a far lower rate. Little cigars are sometimes called "cigarettes in disguise", and unsuccessful attempts have been made to reclassify them as cigarettes. Sales of little cigars reached an all-time high in 2006, fueled in great part by their taxation loophole.

• Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    He also does Cuba Libre.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the mention in the gypsy's original post. Derr!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    Off the top of my head:

Rocky Patel Connecticut

5 Vegas Cask-Strength II
    Gurkha Avenger G-5
    Maxx

Thanks bro, I have smoked the maxx, owr, rp conn, el mejor and CS2. I'll try the others as well
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    fla-gypsy:
    Russ55:
    Off the top of my head:

Rocky Patel Connecticut

5 Vegas Cask-Strength II
    Gurkha Avenger G-5
    Maxx

Thanks bro, I have smoked the maxx, owr, rp conn, el mejor and CS2. I'll try the others as well
    The Harvest 97 I had was fantastic!!! Looking to get more of those. I have a G5 waiting (its my only one so i dont wanna Not have another after smoking it, lol. I have a damaged RP connie. A Cuba Libre came in the most recent COTMC. Seems like this guys sticks are all solid!
    I agree, solid smokes, the AB 97 will be the next one I hunt down. I liked everything so far, some much better than others. Not in the same category as AJ sticks but still very good.
    I got the 97 in a sampler pack. Aged it a nice long time. It was just, great. Nothing mind blowing, but really great. I would love to pick some up. Maybe on a Daily Deal? Wink wink, nudge nudge.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    RP Decade
    RP Edge
    RP Sun Grown
    RP Rennisance
    RP Connecticut
    Alec Bradley Maxx
    Gurkha Avenger G5
    Alec Bradley Harvest 97
    Casa Magna
    5 Vegas Classic
    5 Vegas Gold
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Cu Avana Intenso
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    Padilla Obsidian
    Nestor Reserve
    Cuba Libre
    El Mejor Espresso
    El Mejor Emerald

He also makes a variety of cigars for many major mail order houses and several other brands.
    The ccom catalog a few months ago had an interview with him. There was a line in there about a HUGE % of cigars on the market having tobacco from his farms. Not necessarily =made= by him, but containing his tobacco.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    am i reading that right? if so, does cigar.com have these?
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    good catch. Im not a huge fan of the Gold.. but a Gold Maduro I would give another try.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    NYHCx516x:
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    good catch. Im not a huge fan of the Gold.. but a Gold Maduro I would give another try.
    Wait what? I would love to try that....

stephen_hannibal:
    NYHCx516x:
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    Wait what? I would love to try that....

I found NOTHING in a google search. Maybe they are under Alex's bed?
    Alex Svenson:
    RP Decade
    RP Edge
    RP Sun Grown
    RP Rennisance
    RP Connecticut
    Alec Bradley Maxx
    Gurkha Avenger G5
    Alec Bradley Harvest 97
    Casa Magna
    5 Vegas Classic
    5 Vegas Gold
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Cu Avana Intenso
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    Padilla Obsidian
    Nestor Reserve
    Cuba Libre
    El Mejor Espresso
    El Mejor Emerald

He also makes a variety of cigars for many major mail order houses and several other brands.
    Thanks Alex, he has his hands in way more than I knew. Tell us about the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    He is also the blender of the 262 Paradigm IIRC
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    He is also the blender of the 262 Paradigm IIRC
    Alright, it's time to get my learn on. What does IIRC stand for?
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    If I Recall Correctly ^ ^
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    NYHCx516x:
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    LOL nice catch guys. 5 Vegas Gold Maduro will be debuting this summer. The cigar itself was blended by Anibal Salinas. Anibal is an old legend in the industry and actually came out of retirement and this is his first cigar since getting back in the saddle. He is in his 70's. His history is amazing. He is a Nicaraguan native who actually rolled the very first cigar in Nicaragua. When the Joya de Nicaragua factory opened in the 1970's he was the first one to learn to roll a cigar and was given the job as the rolling instructor and supervisor at the Joya de Nicaragua factory. When the Joya de Nicaragua factory closed because of the Cantra he fled to Honduras where he got a job with Nestor Plasencia making cigars and overseeing tobacco fermentation. When Nicaragua settled down, he returned to Nicaragua to take a supervisory position with Padron. He worked for Padron for many years until Plasencia opened up operations and expanded into Nicaragua at which time he went back to work for Nestor. By the time he was in his 60's he developed some health problems and retired. He stayed out of retirement for more than 5 years. Three months ago, Nestor asked him if he wanted to get back in the saddle and come back to work full time as a blender and is now working exclusively for my projects. As soon as I spent some time with him, I knew I had to lock him down exclusively. The first thing we knocked out was 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. It is something I have wanted to make for several years and have tried to do it on my own but could not nail a good blend. With him, we hit it in one month. He has a special philosophy to blending this unique and a certain trade secret that makes a big difference but I am sworn to secrecy not to disclose it. I will say, it is very interesting. The 5 Vegas Gold maduro is medium bodied and hand made in Nicaragua at Plasencia's Segovia Facotry where they make Casa Magna adn 5 Vegas Classic. It features a PA Broadleaf maduro wrapper. Nestor is the second maker in the industry to start using this wrapper after AJ Fernandez. he is the only guy I know of other than AJ that has usable fermented stock of the wrapper. It is going to be a great smoke. Anibal is a truly talented guy and I think you guys are going to be very impressed.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    A very interesting story, Alex. Thanks for sharing. And you better believe I will be one of the first in line for that Gold Maduro when they are released... I am STOKED!
    Very Cool!!
    When you got to "Pa broadleaf wrapper" I was hooked.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    A very interesting story, Alex. Thanks for sharing. And you better believe I will be one of the first in line for that Gold Maduro when they are released... I am STOKED!
    +1
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Thats an awesome story Alex. Looking forward to that release as well.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Da**it.. Too many new releases hitting this summer. That tax return better get here quick. I was thinking of getting a 150 ct hum from Waxingmoon, but guess I better go ahead and get a 300ct with all these new sticks coming out, plus the fact I'm still waiting to try the Cain.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Now this might be a stupid question but I saw that he did the AB Harvest 97 but does that include the Harvest 97 Habano?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ejenne87:
    Sounds awesome! I'm right there in line with you!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Looking forward to that one !
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    When you got to "Pa broadleaf wrapper" I was hooked.
    +me. Yeah!
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    And to think I was just looking forward to hot weather. Now even more excited about this coming summer. Hmm, told the wife I wouldn't be buying any more sticks until August. Decisions Decisions!
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    awesome story and sounds like an awesome cigar ... I think i'm going to light up a diesel when I get home - PA Broadleaf FTW!