Home General Discussion
Options

buying boxes

How many of you that only smoke once or twice a week actually buy boxes, it just seems like a lot more cigars than I need.  Should I be buying boxes and why should I buy them if I don't smoke everyday?  I am only a year into the world of cigars so I still have a lot to learn.

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If you like them, buy a box and let them age. If you smoke infrequently, you will get to see them change over time.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    If you have the space and the funds, buying boxes is great. Like cabi said above - you get to age them for a while and see how they change over time. For me, I wanted to try far too many cigars to buy a box. Now that I have found what my favorites are, I'm starting to purchase more of those and less of the "every day" sticks. The end goal is to have every cigar in the humidors be something special to me.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    The end goal is to have every cigar in the humidors be something special to me.
    I couldn't agree with this more, Phil. While I am still sampeling, and I have a long way to go before I can say I am a veteran, I still find myself not buying as many samplers or 5-packs and saving up for boxes of the stuff that I love...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    If you have the space and the funds, buying boxes is great. Like cabi said above - you get to age them for a while and see how they change over time. For me, I wanted to try far too many cigars to buy a box. Now that I have found what my favorites are, I'm starting to purchase more of those and less of the "every day" sticks. The end goal is to have every cigar in the humidors be something special to me.
    yup. I haven't smoked too much lately but I do have plenty of boxes. I've been cutting spending quite a bit too. Too much else to pay for, taxes, house and such...
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I only buy boxes if I know one of two things about the cigar: a) that I smoke a lot of them (e.g., Uppman, various Perdomos), or b) that it will age really well (e.g., Don Carlos, Ashton VSG).

Rarely, I will take a flyer on something that is on a big sale by the box (e.g., Indian Tabac Super Fuerte), or is hard to find (e.g., Perdomo Edicion de Silvio) or about to be discontinued (e.g., La Cuna Bin 85).

By and large, though, I'm a few-at-a-time man.