Home Cigar 101

Refilling Lighters

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
It seems like a lot of people here have the Bugatti B-1, so I wanted to know how long does a refill last you? The reason I'm asking is because everytime I refill, it seems like it would only last me about 5 minutes.

I follow all the proper steps of refilling and I use triple-refined butane. When I press the butane can into the valve, I hold it for about 20-30 seconds. When I use it, the flame setting is on the lowest setting (which still gives off a pretty large flame). Is there anything I should or should not be doing? I really like the lighter, but it's a pain to refill it every other day.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I don't have the Bugatti, but for some reason, my torches never seem to really fill on the first try; I always gotta fill them once, wait about 20 min, then fill again.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you fill it, make sure you purge it. Just hit the valve on the lighter with a pen tip or something like that. If there is any in there, you should get a blow back. Once it's empty, put it at it's lowest setting and fill it.

I don't know if it makes a bit of difference or not, but I use several 3-4 second bursts, instead of one long one. It works for me, but I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Before you fill it, make sure you purge it. Just hit the valve on the lighter with a pen tip or something like that. If there is any in there, you should get a blow back. Once it's empty, put it at it's lowest setting and fill it.

I don't know if it makes a bit of difference or not, but I use several 3-4 second bursts, instead of one long one. It works for me, but I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.
    I always purge everytime I refill and make sure that the valve is on the lowest setting when I refill. I am going to try refilling in bursts. Thanks for the idea.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I get standard amount of use out of it. It lasts as long as my xikar executive which is about 12 cigars worth? I have noticed that the refill valve is not fantastic so you might need to play with the can angle a little to make sure youre getting a full tank? I use my ear close to the valve so I can hear when it stops filling. Although I use it at about half power. It stays lit perfectly then, I notice it goes out when I have it up at full or too low.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    I get standard amount of use out of it. It lasts as long as my xikar executive which is about 12 cigars worth? I have noticed that the refill valve is not fantastic so you might need to play with the can angle a little to make sure youre getting a full tank? I use my ear close to the valve so I can hear when it stops filling. Although I use it at about half power. It stays lit perfectly then, I notice it goes out when I have it up at full or too low.
    this post is about what i was gunna say.

another idea.... throw the lighter in the fridge for about 20 min after purging but before filling and keep the fuel in your pocket about that long too. the temp difference helps the butane go from one to the next. I do 2 10-15 sec bursts.
    wait 15 minutes before you try and light.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I was coming in to search for info about this as I just got my first cigar lighter. To everyone that posted up stuff thanks for the good info and to the op for starting the thread. I'll be putting it to good use.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    I don't have the Bugatti, but for some reason, my torches never seem to really fill on the first try; I always gotta fill them once, wait about 20 min, then fill again.
    I have a cigar.com lighter that is so easy to fill. I use the vector fuel and the nozzel on them is long and sort of crappy. Though I can fill that ccom lighter very easily. my duel torch xikar lighter is *** to fill. The damn thing always sprays out and never fills completely. It pisses me off. I love the lighter but filling it is a freaking nightmare.