Home General Discussion

Your first note...

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I was smoking a Carlos Torano 1916 with some good age on it, and I got a good creamy note to the cigar. Made it very enjoyable. I was just starting out and was smoking mild cigars, well as everyone knows, not a whole lot goes on with a mild cigar most of the time, so when I started to taste cream, it was a great experience.

So what were you smoking when you got that first note of something and what did you taste ?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Graycliff 1666 presidente, got coffee and chocolate and was blown away. Padilla 1932 got some floral notes and was again blown away. La Herencia Cubano got butter, and was NOT blown away, as I did not expect it, but came to like it later on.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Graycliff 1666 presidente, got coffee and chocolate and was blown away. Padilla 1932 got some floral notes and was again blown away. La Herencia Cubano got butter, and was NOT blown away, as I did not expect it, but came to like it later on.
    butter?? now that's funny.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Chocolate from an Edge Maduro. First one I had, and it was great.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I was smoking a Carlos Torano 1916 with some good age on it, and I got a good creamy note to the cigar. Made it very enjoyable. I was just starting out and was smoking mild cigars, well as everyone knows, not a whole lot goes on with a mild cigar most of the time, so when I started to taste cream, it was a great experience.

So what were you smoking when you got that first note of something and what did you taste ?

Cohiba Red Dot Robusto. I got some spice and I "Nubbed" the thing. That was my first time I actually "tasted" something.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Padilla 1932... was puffing away and all of a sudden got that lconfused caveman look on my face and went, "Leather???"

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    How long did you have to smoke cigars before you guys started tasting anything? I've been trying different cigars for almost a year now, and it's only recently that I think I might be picking up on something, even though I have no idea what it might be
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Ha! Very cool topic...I remember it very well: I was sitting in the outside lounge at one of my favorite restaurants, listening to a great singer and drinking a Manhattan. The stick was a Perdomo2 Ltd Edition Maduro, and it absolutely blew me away with espresso and chocolate notes. I really couldn't believe it, especially the intensity and complexity of the flavors. Definitely opened up a whole new dimension to cigars for me.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    Ha! Very cool topic...I remember it very well: I was sitting in the outside lounge at one of my favorite restaurants, listening to a great singer and drinking a Manhattan. The stick was a Perdomo2 Ltd Edition Maduro, and it absolutely blew me away with espresso and chocolate notes. I really couldn't believe it, especially the intensity and complexity of the flavors. Definitely opened up a whole new dimension to cigars for me.
    Now that's what I'm talking about.

"Long ashes my friends."

xmacro:
    How long did you have to smoke cigars before you guys started tasting anything? I've been trying different cigars for almost a year now, and it's only recently that I think I might be picking up on something, even though I have no idea what it might be
    It took me about 6-9 months, but all people are different. Hang in there, you will taste something sooner or later.

"Long ashes my friends."

• shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    I can't say that I have really tasted a definitive flavor as I have only been enjoying this hobby on a more serious note for about 9 months but the one that stands out most would either be the cao sopranos with a sweet/chocolate taste or the cohiba red dot with a spice taste. I can pick up a sweet taste with the nica libre but can't quite place it.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I've been tasting different things in cigars for so many years, I can't even think back far enough for the "first" notes. Most likely it was the "grassyness" and "cream" of a ISOM Cohiba way back in the 80's or something like that.
    My best "coffee/chocolate" comes from a Perdomo Habano Maduro.
    Lots of spice and cedar / woodsy notes in a 10 year old San Cristobal "El Morro" size cigar

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    My first first was way too long ago to remember anything about, but the first one to really strike me when I took up stogies again a couple of years ago was, like cabinetmaker, butter. It was from a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I have not been smoking long enough to figure out all the things I was getting but I do remember the first one that I knew dead on what it was. I was having a AB SCR and when I let some smoke out the nose I immediately thought of the horse barns at the state fair. Not the crap smell but the hay and earthy smell. That was the first time I knew exactly what I was getting.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    One of my firsts was the 601 Green, and it had a very strong and very enjoyable cedar note. It was what got me hooked on the 601 Greens and I still enjoy them frequently.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    It was leather for me. Still not great at picking them out. Just know when it pleases me or not.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Don't remember the cigar but the flavor I do. It was caramel and it only lasted a few moments. Haven't tasted it since but it gives me reason to believe there is great complexity to cigars I have yet to discover.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I remember picking out some delicious spice from a Saint Luis Rey. To this day they are still one of my all time favorite smokes.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    urbino:
    My first first was way too long ago to remember anything about, but the first one to really strike me when I took up stogies again a couple of years ago was, like cabinetmaker, butter. It was from a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real.
    That's the stick that got me started really enjoying cigars, but I remember more of a cream taste. It was like drinking a good cup of coffee with cream and sugar. I was hooked.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This wasn't my first note, but it was the first time I've picked up on this particular flavor. I was smoking an Avo 80th and about 1 1/4 inches into it this flavor hit me like a brick, it was anise and I've never tasted it in a cigar before, though I have seen people describe it in several cigars.
    cholmes8310:
    urbino:
    That's the stick that got me started really enjoying cigars, but I remember more of a cream taste.
    I churned mine.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    6 months ago I had my first Gurkha Blue Steel. For whatever reason I taisted cinnamon in it.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    6 months ago I had my first Gurkha Blue Steel. For whatever reason I taisted cinnamon in it.
    I can get that, I like the Blue Steel. Have a couple down in the bottom of the Humi somewhere from last summer.
    The Camacho Havana has cinnamon flavors.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

My first Nub Connie knocked me off my socks with the sweet cream flavors I got.

But what really looped me one time is I was smoking a Perdomo2 and could easily taste cashew!