Home Ratings & Reviews

5 Vegas series A

Draw was to tight, burn was good, flavor was milder than I expected and the whole thing from start to finish tasted of earth...which is not bad, but I found it to be incredibly un-dynamic. Not a bad stick but not one I will get again. just not my tastes.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Me either. These are totally over-rated and taste like burnt smores without the marshmallow. I'm not looking forward to the ones I have left at all.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    dubiousmonk:
    Draw was to tight, burn was good, flavor was milder than I expected and the whole thing from start to finish tasted of earth...which is not bad, but I found it to be incredibly un-dynamic. Not a bad stick but not one I will get again. just not my tastes.
    PM sent
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    bigharpoon:
    Me either. These are totally over-rated and taste like burnt smores without the marshmallow. I'm not looking forward to the ones I have left at all.
    I'm a fan. I've had 4 or 5 and I loved each one. I'll take them off your hands if you REEEEALLY don't want them...
    robbyras:
    bigharpoon:
    I'm a fan. I've had 4 or 5 and I loved each one. I'll take them off your hands if you REEEEALLY don't want them...
    pms sent
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    bigharpoon:
    robbyras:
    bigharpoon:
    pms sent
    returned
  • lilwing88, I don't have a PM from you in my inbox.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    dubiousmonk:
    lilwing88, I don't have a PM from you in my inbox.
    Oops. that's cuz I sent it to bigharpoon by accident. My bad. Resent.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im with you, didnt care for this stick, way too tightly rolled.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Fourtotheflush:
    Smoke more of them, trust me! Don't give up after one (I'm making an assumption from the way your post was worded).
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    dubiousmonk:
    This was identical to my take on the stick...however, my thoughts on it were "I'm glad I have more of these, because this is a stick I thought I'd like, and I will be able to give it a second try." But that's just how I think about a lot of sticks when I'm on the first try.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    TatuajeVI:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Smoke more of them, trust me! Don't give up after one (I'm making an assumption from the way your post was worded).

Your assumption is correct. I have only had one. I may go back, but not anytime soon. I pretty much have my regular rotation set and have the cigars Im looking forward to trying set for a few months now.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I was good with this stick, no draw problems and had a nice sweet finish. The AAA is better IMO.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Also, what size did you have? I have sort of figured out that size is important for this stick. I personally love the Apocalypse and the Anomaly sizes.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I have had a few of these now. The first one was perfect but the second one had a tight draw to it. But in defense of the cigar the humidity in my humidor had fluctuated down to around 65 and I had just gotten it back to 70 the day before I smoked it.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ENFIDL:
    I have had a few of these now. The first one was perfect but the second one had a tight draw to it. But in defense of the cigar the humidity in my humidor had fluctuated down to around 65 and I had just gotten it back to 70 the day before I smoked it.
    Nothing wrong with 65%. That's where a lot of us keep our rH normally. And a lower rH wouldn't make the draw tighter - the opposite more than likely.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    TatuajeVI:
    ENFIDL:
    Nothing wrong with 65%. That's where a lot of us keep our rH normally. And a lower rH wouldn't make the draw tighter - the opposite more than likely.
    That's some good info to have. Thanks!
    I've yet to have any draw problems on any 5 Vegas sticks, including several series 'A'.
  • I'm a big fan of the series A Atomic vitola. Construction on them is excellent. Burn has always been good for me. They are densely packed and oily so may need some humi time to help draw, but I like the flavor which seems to be most concentrated in the Atomics. I smoked some of these side by side with La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduros and the Series A beat them hands down for both construction and flavor.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i liked the series a from the get go. i dont think its "amazing" but its a good stick to sit around the fire with. ive never been disappointed with it, but ive never been super excited about them. i have one in my aging humidor with about 4 years on it. maybe itll age well. iduno. whenever i get around to smoking it.

i need to organize my humidors again.
    pdxstogieman:
    I smoked some of these side by side with La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduros and the Series A beat them hands down for both construction and flavor.
    smoke it next to a partagas black.
    similar flavor profile, but the Partagas beats the 5 Vegas hands down.

...unless you factor price in.
    kuzi16:
    i liked the series a from the get go. i dont think its "amazing" but its a good stick to sit around the fire with. ive never been disappointed with it, but ive never been super excited about them. i have one in my aging humidor with about 4 years on it. maybe itll age well. iduno. whenever i get around to smoking it.

Does this become an issue/dilemma because if you find that it is awesome after 4 years of age, then you have to sit on an order for 4 years for it to become smokeable?
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

Does this become an issue/dilemma because if you find that it is awesome after 4 years of age, then you have to sit on an order for 4 years for it to become smokeable?
    its smokeable out of the box.
    if its amazing after 4 years (though i doubt it will be) its not a problem.... not for me at least. I have a humidor specifically for aging. put em in there and forget about em for a few years.