Home Cigar 101

Rum and cigars

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
The new Ccom newsletter got me thinking, what do you guys recommend for a good rum? How does you answer change from a full cigar to a mild?

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    If I can get my hands on it, I like Flor de Cana 18 year. It pairs well with full bodied sticks. Otherwise, Capt. Morgan Private Stock goes pretty well with almost anything.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Patron makes a pretty great rum. I can't remember what it is called, but it is pretty great. Very sweet, a little bit of that spice to it.
  • ejenne87:
    Patron makes a pretty great rum. I can't remember what it is called, but it is pretty great. Very sweet, a little bit of that spice to it.
    pyrat(pronounced pirate) and that would be my vote
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    ejenne87:
    The name came to me last night right as I shut down for the night... That is a fantastic rum. Tons of vanilla, and really smooth.

If you ever get the chance to try some Cuban rum, don't pass it up. I had a few sips from a bottle that retails there for about $100USD. It was phenominal! The best rum I have ever tasted. I don't recall the name though....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Pyrat XO is decent stuff for a lighter bodied, somewhat floral rum. Still some notes of vanilla in there as well as some spice. Cruzan Estate rum is also on the lighter side. Just recently tried Plantation 20 and really enjoyed that. Similar in body to Pyrat XO. I was also impressed by Bacardi 8 anos. Being a Bacardi product, I didn't have high expectations, but it was a very smooth sipping rum. For a full bodied rum, go for Ron Zacapa Centenario, Zaya or Goslings Family Reserve.

Just found some interesting rums put out by the Renegade Rum Company. A bit expensive at $70 - 80 a bottle, but I'm really thinking about picking one up soon.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got to agree with lilwing on the Cpt. Morgan Private Stock going with pretty much anything, for particularly strong flavors though, you might try Pusser's British Navy Rum, (I think I've got the name right), sells for $50-$60 a bottle here in TN, might be less elsewhere since Tennessee has a tendency to tax those who disobey the Southern Baptist Convention harder than anyone else.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    mustluvcigars:
    ejenne87:
    The name came to me last night right as I shut down for the night... That is a fantastic rum. Tons of vanilla, and really smooth.

If you ever get the chance to try some Cuban rum, don't pass it up. I had a few sips from a bottle that retails there for about $100USD. It was phenominal! The best rum I have ever tasted. I don't recall the name though....

Evan is right on with the cuban rum, it is absolutely phenomenal!!! Just the other day I had a small glass of Matusalem Anejo Superior from the owner of my local B&M with a triple ligero "Lake Erie Monster" cigar that he blended and rolled himself and it freaking rocked my world.