Home Cigar 101
Options

Mysterious Mold...

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So I happened to open my box of VSG's this morning and I found MOLD spots on many of them, mainly around the outside of the bundle. Now they are naked and for the most part have been untouched. I've had them for going on over a year and the box was at the bottom of my coolordor. Now I have a box of nestor's that are naked as well. No mold on them what-so-ever. I took a peak at my god of fire don carlos and yup, some of them had mold spots. Now these are the tubos and I should note that I have found some minor spots on the other tubos in my main humidor which sits at 63-65 RH on a consistent basis. No other cigar has any mold on them in that coolordor. I looked at my other one and opened up the Carlito tubo's and no mold. I moved my VSG's over to that humi after putting cello on the ones with the mold on them (wiped it off of course) and moved my carlos GOF as well. Now none of them were covered in mold spots only sporadic spots. I'm wondering what's going on? Is it that I am not opening up my coolordor's and humi enough? I haven't seen any other mold issues other than on the one's mentioned. I have a hard time believing it's the humi or the coolordor or others would have been touched.... Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    So I happened to open my box of VSG's this morning and I found MOLD spots on many of them, mainly around the outside of the bundle. Now they are naked and for the most part have been untouched. I've had them for going on over a year and the box was at the bottom of my coolordor. Now I have a box of nestor's that are naked as well. No mold on them what-so-ever. I took a peak at my god of fire don carlos and yup, some of them had mold spots. Now these are the tubos and I should note that I have found some minor spots on the other tubos in my main humidor which sits at 63-65 RH on a consistent basis. No other cigar has any mold on them in that coolordor. I looked at my other one and opened up the Carlito tubo's and no mold. I moved my VSG's over to that humi after putting cello on the ones with the mold on them (wiped it off of course) and moved my carlos GOF as well. Now none of them were covered in mold spots only sporadic spots. I'm wondering what's going on? Is it that I am not opening up my coolordor's and humi enough? I haven't seen any other mold issues other than on the one's mentioned. I have a hard time believing it's the humi or the coolordor or others would have been touched.... Any ideas?
    Did you get any pictures Pheebs? If you like, send those GOF, and the VSG's, OH and yeah, those Nestors as well, I'll give them a good going over and see if I come to the same conclusion as you have :)

Well... I'm sorry. You asked for ideas. That was the one that came to mind. See if I offer you any advice in the future! LMAO
  • Options
    Always gonna be one....
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    Always gonna be one....
    What!?
    I did ask for pictures!
  • Options
    no pics... already wiped all of them off.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Kinda hard to diagnose without pictures =(
  • Options
    no diagnosis. I'm just wondering if anyone has left their sticks alone over a year without moving them or opening up the box/tube and without rotating them and found mold growth?
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    The only thing I can think of is perhaps being in a change of temprature? Tubos, have a chance to draw more percipitation/condensation if they are go from cold to warm? I am taking wild guesses, but I really have no idea. Also, perhaps poor air circulation if you have them in large space? I am not the biggest fan of cooledors for the reason that their seal is a little too firm in some cases.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I leave my coolerdor cracked open, and even without much of a seal it still holds humidity perfectly. With the amount of beads and cedar mass I have in there I suppose they do the job well.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    How often do you open the coolerdor? I've heard that opening a humi once every few weeks is enough to circulate air, but if you go past a month without opening it once, that may have contributed to the problem
  • Options
    yeah maybe I should open them up more and perhaps circulate things a bit more.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    My coolidor holds perfectly between 65 and 69 RH ......... and i open it at least every other day .... sometime the longest i go is maybe 4-5 days ..... but iam always adding or shipping out so its pretty regular.... IMHO i woild never leave it closed and unattended for more than two weeks without openeing or closing...... just my two cents
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    yeah maybe I should open them up more and perhaps circulate things a bit more.
    Def start rotating your sticks around. Do you know what your coolidor temp stays at?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    there's a pic of one don carlos gof that was in its tube. For some reason it didn't affect the other 4 and 2 05 carlito gof tubes. These all were out of my 300 count humi. So I really don't know what the F is going on. Very strange. Could be due to not circulating the sticks but why would only one be having the problem? Well 2 since I smoked the other one that had similar spots. I can understand that the coolordor would have the issue but I open the 300 count at least 2 times a week. Anyway strange. Anyone else that have boxes of GOF or just tubes run into this?
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    damn!!!!!!! that sux! makes me cringe just thinking about it...