Home General Discussion

Acrylic Humidors

Need to draw on your experience again guys... Im looking at buying another humidor. I saw an acrylic humidor that I like (link is below) but Im a little leery about it. The lack of ANY cedar for one thing - can these things regulate and maintain a stable RH? And since its see-thru, would it be more susceptible to ambient temperature? I think this is a really cool way to display the collection, but not if its going to ruin them!

Picture is HERE

Does anyone on the boards have an acrylic humidor (or know anyone who has tried one), and if so what can you tell me about them?

Thanks for the help fellas!

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    These things are more designed for retail establishments than personal use... That said, I have no experience with them.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you have enough beads in one of these acrylics, I can't really think of any reason it wouldn't work - the main reason for spanish cedar is that it acts as a humidification system once it's seasoned, but if you can compensate for the lack of it with beads/other humidification, there shouldn't be a problem with using something like this. No experience myself, but my local liquor store has one of these and it seems to work alright
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hmmm looks cool.

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    My only reservation would be that sunlight might damage the sticks. But if you stick it in a basement or closet, it shouldn't be a problem. And you wouldn't have to rummage around your sticks to see what you have, that's a big plus.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Agree on the sunlight / temp change concerns. I have been rocking a coolidor for a couple months as an aging humi. I did use boxes in there to keep cedar around the sticks. Every once in awhile, I smoke one to see how it's going - seems OK so far. If you want to help yourself out, you could beg some coffin style lids off the BOTLs on here to line it a bit. Of course you don't want to take that too far and not be able to see in...
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    +1 with what everyone has said so far. I would like to add that maybe you could build one of these for cheaper. Im no craftsman but i did a little project a while back building some acrylic boxs for my wifes crap (i mean crafts) and basically you can get this stuff in sheets pretty cheap, cut it with a basic jig saw and basically "glue" it together with this acrylic glue stuff that comes in a bottle. its pretty easy. Again, i ain't no craftsman and theres probably more to this, but id chance building on for $40 and throw a bunch of heartfelt beads in it than to spend a couple hundred. just a suggestion.
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    As stated before, the lack of spanish cedar will come in to play once you open the display and all the humidity that has been retained will escape. That happens with any kind of humidor. That's why a humidor that is full maintains better humidity than one that is 1/2 empty.... less air gets replaced. Seasoned Spanish Cedar will quickly "recharge" the system. That being said - your beads or other humidification devices will work harder - meaning more frequent maintenance. Otherwise...that's a cool looking display...
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    WaxingMoon:
    As stated before, the lack of spanish cedar will come in to play once you open the display and all the humidity that has been retained will escape. That happens with any kind of humidor. That's why a humidor that is full maintains better humidity than one that is 1/2 empty.... less air gets replaced. Seasoned Spanish Cedar will quickly "recharge" the system. That being said - your beads or other humidification devices will work harder - meaning more frequent maintenance. Otherwise...that's a cool looking display...
    Considered this as well. I had the idea that I would throw a Cigar Oasis in this thing, along with a pound or two of Heartfelt beads. Cigar Oasis' ads state that they bring humidity back up to the set level in some ridiculously short amount of time, and since Ive never heard a BOTL bash them Im inclined to believe it. This combo was the only way I could think of to (maybe) regulate the RH & avoid exactly what WaxingMoon mentioned here. Any thoughts on that idea?

Garen, good call - this thing is definitely going in the man cave, which is in the basement... one window in the room with the blinds always closed.

ljl, excellent idea on the spanish cedar - perhaps I could line the bottom of the humi, and the bottom of the individual bins, with some. Hopefully WaxingMoon can hook me up with some if I get him the dimensions (for a small fee (and a couple nice sticks)). Every bit of regulation has got to help.

Thanks for all the input fellas, please keep it coming!

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Great display box. If you keep it well stocked well that will minimize the effects of opening as well.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have one of those but it isnt in use. (i need to fix the seal for one and second, the damn thing is ugly and huge) i would line some of the shelves with Spanish cedar. iduno... im just not a fan of those.
    Just noticed something too... the door to get into the thing is in the BACK - what a pain in the @ss that would be getting into every time I want to grab a smoke or put in more. Oh well, the hunt continues. I swear, I am an old woman when it comes to buying new humidors!

• Order one from WaxingMoon..his humidors look outstanding!
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Cigar Sherlock:
    Order one from WaxingMoon..his humidors look outstanding!
    +1...the guy is great to work with. Awesome workmanship!
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I have two acrylic humidor jars. I don't know they cam free with the cigars that came in them that were smoked along time ago, they each have a disk of cedar in the bottom and also had a hockey puck style humidifier in the lid. I am not sure if they are a good comparison for what you are looking at, I find them okay for holding my humidor overflow, which is an increasing problem, but that's another story. The biggest issue I have with them is they are completely airtight and therefore there is no exchange of air with the outside world, I had some gars get mold on them, am sure due to changes in ambient temperature which resulted in condensation. I also keep in a fairly darkened area out of sunlight, I don't plan on using them for long term storage. I personally would stay away from acrylic unless it was free. You do know you can get what look to be fairly decent 250-300 capacity humis from either http://www.humidorvault.com or http://www.cheaphumidors.com for less than $163 don't you?
    Yup. This is really about trying to restrain myself from buying the cabinet humi that I want - but that the wife woudl shoot me for. LOL The hunt continues, and at this point its looking like its going to either be a 500ct chairside or even a 250ct Treasure Dome (pt 2) for me this go-round. Was shocked at how quickly the first one filled up tho!

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    gdsim1:
    Yup. This is really about trying to restrain myself from buying the cabinet humi that I want - but that the wife woudl shoot me for. LOL The hunt continues, and at this point its looking like its going to either be a 500ct chairside or even a 250ct Treasure Dome (pt 2) for me this go-round. Was shocked at how quickly the first one filled up tho!

A cooler at Wally World only costs a few bucks and you could use the rest to fill it up. And you can't see through it, so your wife won't *** at you for filling it up with a box or ten...
    Garen B:
    gdsim1:

A cooler at Wally World only costs a few bucks and you could use the rest to fill it up. And you can't see through it, so your wife won't *** at you for filling it up with a box or ten...
    I dont know why, but I FEAR the coolidor!

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    gdsim1:
    Garen B:
    gdsim1:

I dont know why, but I FEAR the coolidor!

Don't fear it. Embrace it. They are cheap and easy to build. If you already have to sticks just doooo it!