Home Non Cigar Related

Hit a Deer

ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
So Friday night I was on my way home from having dinner with one of my boys I was in Iraq with when a deer ran out in front of my 4 month old Jeep Patriot. I was driving by the training side of MCB Quantico. Luckily it didn't do alot of damage. Busted the blinker light housing and put a dent above it with it's head and the body dented up the the two passenger side doors some. I'm fine just sucks this happened. Fun way to kick off B-Day weekend...lol

Comments

• bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Pics or didnt happen!lol!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Damn, u got lucky. Glad no one was hurt. I remember coming home one evening after dropping off a co-worker and I was going down back country highway going about 65+ and was coming down a hill...at the bottom there were 3 deer all spaced out going across the road. Of course, the a-ssholes froze in place. All I could do was maneuver my truck to drive in between them. I couldn't believe I didn't hit one of those bastards, It would have been bad.

"Long ashes my friends."

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    bigbgballz:
    Pics or didnt happen!lol!
    lolz I will get some and post em up. It'll be a day or two though. There's still fur in the busted blinker light hosing
    Krieg:
    Damn, u got lucky. Glad no one was hurt. I remember coming home one evening after dropping off a co-worker and I was going down back country highway going about 65+ and was coming down a hill...at the bottom there were 3 deer all spaced out going across the road. Of course, the a-ssholes froze in place. All I could do was maneuver my truck to drive in between them. I couldn't believe I didn't hit one of those bastards, It would have been bad.
    I really did. I only got her like 4 months ago and before that I had a mustang that deer would have came up on the hood and into the windshield I'm sure. That's awesome you were able to maneuver around them and miss them all. That would have ended terribly
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm probably jinxing myself here, but I'm actually amazed I've never even come close to hitting a deer. The woods near my house are infested with tons of deer.

Funny strory: while at work, I get called to an accident scene where a citizen hit a deer. A nice 12 point buck. It's still alive , but in bad shape. My partner just got his new M4 carbine and couldn't wait to break it in. So I let him make the kill shot. He get's up close to the beast, and is about to shoot, when the f***er jumps up and runs!!! My partner wasn't going to be deterred, so he drops to a knee, takes aim with his EOTech, and pops 2 into the buck as it's running from about 75 yards. Dropped him instantly.

Now I've hit a deer from a tree stand at about 100 yards with a Remington 12 guage, but that was way cooler......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I hit a cow with my 79 Camaro in high school. bad thing was Colorado is mostly a open range state so when you kill a cow...... you buy it. Was a costly evening.......
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    In Lejeune when the moon was bright we used to get a couple of deer hits a night. It was always a race to the scene to see if you got to shoot the deer or not. First one there got rights to putting it down.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I hit one when I was 18, twice. Hit it once, it bounced forward and skidded along the ground and I hit it again. Broke it's back but it was still alive, really tore up my front end though. So this deer is screaming in pain, trying to get away by pulling itself with its front legs. I know I gotta end its suffering but having no gun to shoot it with and all I have is a jack in my trunk, so I decide one swift blow to the head will end its pain quickly. I walk up to it, it looks at me with fear, I tell it it'll be over quickly, raise the jack and hit it on the head as hard as I can. Deer have really thick skulls, and now this broke back deer also has a concussion. I hit it again, still no dead deer. Third time a charm? Nope. Took a fouth time to kill that poor deer. So after being hit twice by a car, then blugened to death with a jack his suffering was finally over. I think he had a worse day than me.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I hit one when I was 18, twice. Hit it once, it bounced forward and skidded along the ground and I hit it again. Broke it's back but it was still alive, really tore up my front end though. So this deer is screaming in pain, trying to get away by pulling itself with its front legs. I know I gotta end its suffering but having no gun to shoot it with and all I have is a jack in my trunk, so I decide one swift blow to the head will end its pain quickly. I walk up to it, it looks at me with fear, I tell it it'll be over quickly, raise the jack and hit it on the head as hard as I can. Deer have really thick skulls, and now this broke back deer also has a concussion. I hit it again, still no dead deer. Third time a charm? Nope. Took a fouth time to kill that poor deer. So after being hit twice by a car, then blugened to death with a jack his suffering was finally over. I think he had a worse day than me.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm thinking of that scene from Me, Myself and Irene where he's killing the cow.....sorry for the deer dude, i'm sre that was horrific....

So how many of you kept and ate the deer after you hit it? We still do that. A girl at work was all upset and came in crying because she hit a deer jut a few miles outside the hangar....buddy and i hopped in the truck and retrieved it, gut it and split between us :)
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Sorry man but this made me laugh, really well too, thanks :D
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    I hit a cow with my 79 Camaro in high school. bad thing was Colorado is mostly a open range state so when you kill a cow...... you buy it. Was a costly evening.......
    Was the Camero ok?
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    It was a loss....... amazing what 12 hundred pounds of walking meat can do to a car. Was a pretty nice ride too......
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:

Being an insurance claims rep this is an awesome story and it really made me laugh my ass off ..... Thanks
    Firetruckguy that is def getting kicked when you are down. Not only is your car totaled but then you have to pay for the thing that totaled your car. That really sucks. Cabinetmaker that was too funny man! I got a great laugh out of that. I'm sure you were laughing but wow. Great story!
    lilwing88:
    I'm probably jinxing myself here, but I'm actually amazed I've never even come close to hitting a deer. The woods near my house are infested with tons of deer.

Funny strory: while at work, I get called to an accident scene where a citizen hit a deer. A nice 12 point buck. It's still alive , but in bad shape. My partner just got his new M4 carbine and couldn't wait to break it in. So I let him make the kill shot. He get's up close to the beast, and is about to shoot, when the f***er jumps up and runs!!! My partner wasn't going to be deterred, so he drops to a knee, takes aim with his EOTech, and pops 2 into the buck as it's running from about 75 yards. Dropped him instantly.

Now I've hit a deer from a tree stand at about 100 yards with a Remington 12 guage, but that was way cooler......
    That is awesome!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smacked a deer with my small car. I did over $3,000 damage and what really got me mad is the deer just got up and ran away. I'm sure he was giving me the deer equivalent of the finger!
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Jetmech_63:
    cabinetmaker:

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm thinking of that scene from Me, Myself and Irene where he's killing the cow.....sorry for the deer dude, i'm sre that was horrific....

So how many of you kept and ate the deer after you hit it? We still do that. A girl at work was all upset and came in crying because she hit a deer jut a few miles outside the hangar....buddy and i hopped in the truck and retrieved it, gut it and split between us :)
    I have never hit a deer but anytime someone i know does they call me and i come clean it up! Also, if i see a road kill and it is still fresh than i'll clean it up... just throw it in the back and butcher it on the basketball goal! i remember one time in middle school it was late winter and very cold so I was letting my deer hang overnight because i didnt have time to butcher it... well, my carpool pulls up and the mom is HORRIFIED. She was the country club, rich, never seen a dead deer in her life kinda gal. Funniest thing EVER!!!
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Cabinetmaker, hilarious! I'm gonna laugh all day thank you. The Me, Myself, and Irene scene came into my mind immediately also Jetmech...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    cabinetmaker:
    Sorry man but this made me laugh, really well too, thanks :D
    Wow, that is truly sad. Poor deer...
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    enfidel, that area is just packed with deer. I remember seeing over 30 deer next to the road on 619 just the other side of 95 from the base in a three mile stretch. Never hit one though. I did take out a bear once though.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I used to work in a pet store and would have to smack rabbits in the head with hammer to kill, then feed to a 11 ft Burmese Python named Molly. Molly loved fresh killed rabbits and she wouldn't eat frozen ones. Real spoiled F'r. I hated smacking those rabbits...couldn't imagine smacking a deer with a Jack though. Must have freeked you out!
    Dark Roast:
    cabinetmaker:
    I used to work in a pet store and would have to smack rabbits in the head with hammer to kill, then feed to a 11 ft Burmese Python named Molly. Molly loved fresh killed rabbits and she wouldn't eat frozen ones. Real spoiled F'r. I hated smacking those rabbits...couldn't imagine smacking a deer with a Jack though. Must have freeked you out!
    I used to have lots of snakes, up to a 14' reticulated python. Rabbits screaming sounds a lot like a crying baby.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Louis CK is funny as hell and has a good take on hitting deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s
    cabinetmaker:
    Dark Roast:
    cabinetmaker:
    I used to have lots of snakes, up to a 14' reticulated python. Rabbits screaming sounds a lot like a crying baby.
    Holy Crap a 14 ft retic? We had some reticulated ones too. They were smaller though. Never trusted a reticulated. It was first snake to tag me well on my hand between thumb and finger. It was only a two footer but sneaky little devil. let me hold it all nice and didn't even strike. Just kinda slowly but with great precision bit and held on. I'll never forget those little beedy orange eyes staring at me while it had a nice grip on my hand! Yea that and the sound of hammer hitting rabbit. Don't miss the pet trade. What bacame of your 14 footer anyway?
    One day while extremely drunk, I took some friends back to see him. I opened the cage and he latched onto my hand and started to constrict. I took him to the bathroom, filled the tub with water and held his head under water until he let go. I gave him away shortly after that. That was the only time he ever bit me, and it was 100% my fault; but ha had just gotten too big.
    Glad things turned out well. The 11 ft Burmese was real gentle but you had to treat her with respect and caution. Any snake that size, as you are aware, can turn your world upside down quickly. Bet you still have a scar from where that retic got you!
    zoom6zoom:
    enfidel, that area is just packed with deer. I remember seeing over 30 deer next to the road on 619 just the other side of 95 from the base in a three mile stretch. Never hit one though. I did take out a bear once though.
    Yeah I remember when I was at Quantico back in 07 that they were all over the place on base. That's insane that you saw 30 in a 3 mile stretch. It's really getting out of hand around there. I can only image how much damage that bear had to of done. Where in NOVA are you? I'm out in Gainesville, soon to be Bristow.
    There's a stretch of road down south of town a bit where I watched at least 30-40 cross as they stopped traffic both ways. And I got there late as they were already crossing when I pulled up. Never seen that many before or since.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow, that's a big snake. I hate snakes!!! oh lordy. Glad your arm is okay.
  • firetruckguy:
    It was a loss....... amazing what 12 hundred pounds of walking meat can do to a car. Was a pretty nice ride too......
    I saw a VW bug after it had hit a bull elk on Hwy 82 between Glenwood Springs and Carbondale, tore the roof off the car and killed the bull. The accident was a damn shame, it was a really nice bull.