Home General Discussion

Xikar Cutters

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
So I hear these are the best money can buy. I was still working with a generic one from a local cigar shop and noticed it not cutting sharp anymore, so I wanted to get a nice cutter, only one question..
Whats the difference between the Xi1, Xi2, and Xi3? Is it just he design/color/material of the cutter or the blade? Cause I saw some for like $35 and some for $300 (the cuban design ones).

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I think(someone will back me up here) all the blades are the same, just the outside is diffrent. I've been sing and Xi2 for 2 years no....love it. It's the last cutter youll ever buy
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Jetmech_63:
    I think(someone will back me up here) all the blades are the same, just the outside is diffrent. I've been sing and Xi2 for 2 years no....love it. It's the last cutter youll ever buy
    Xi and Xi3 are metal handled cutters, while the Xi2 is fiberglass handles. All have the same blades, warranty, and action though. That's why the Xi2 is about 15-20$ cheaper I believe? I have the Xi2 and love it. Plus, if it ever goes dull or breaks, they'll replace it or repair it for free.

If you're looking for a cheaper option still, check out the Xikar Mean Sardine. Double guillotine, same blades and warranty as the Xi's.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Vinnie is right about the blades being the same. The difference is the material used for the handle. The higher priced ones use stainless steel with a titanium coating while the lower end ones have a fiberglass handle. I have the lower end one and it's been an awesome cutter so far. Plus you can't beat the lifetime warranty and I've heard great things about their customer service.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I figured thats what it was. I think I'll just stick to a Xi2 or somthing since they are like $30, and has the same warranty as the more $ ones. As long as it cuts the same, its all good.

Thanks
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Shawn, I called Jeff Jackson at Ccom and he gave me a great deal on my first Xikar a few weeks ago, plus he threw in some extra sticks, not that you need them since you just got blown up real good : )
    brotheradam:
    Shawn, I called Jeff Jackson at Ccom and he gave me a great deal on my first Xikar a few weeks ago, plus he threw in some extra sticks, not that you need them since you just got blown up real good : )
    pm to you
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    And back to you Z
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I have a Xi3 (I got a good deal on). Very happy with it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy a Palio cutter instead of a Xikar. Not that the Xikar isn't a great cutter, but I prefer the double guillotine standard style cutter to the teardrop style, feels better to me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy a Palio cutter instead of a Xikar. Not that the Xikar isn't a great cutter, but I prefer the double guillotine standard style cutter to the teardrop style, feels better to me.
    that is also a great cutter. i thought long about what cutter to get. i went with the Xikar because i like the teardrop better.....

...and im a Xikar ****....
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    any of you guys try the colibri grip cutter that they sell that has the diesel or Man-O-War logo on them and are only $19 ?
    well, I dont know about colibri's warranty, but for $10 more bucks, you are getting the best cutter with a warranty thats worth it IMO. I read nothing but good comments about their replacement blades and how they dont ask questions, just send you out a new one.

I looked at the MoW cutter also.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I love mine !
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    that is also a great cutter. i thought long about what cutter to get. i went with the Xikar because i like the teardrop better.....

...and im a Xikar ****....
    I knew it! I thought that was you standing on the corner Kuzi!!!!!

I love my Xikar. I'm a bit rougher on my stuff so I got a metal one. I called in and Jeff really hooked me up. I like the metal one because it takes some time to get used to the feel of the cutter and if someone is using it for the 1st time it can be dropped easily. I am looking into getting a different cutter just for the truck and when I'm out and about.
  • taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I'm about to put the warranty to the test. I've had my Xikar cutter for two years and it works great. I'm going to mail it to them to tomarrow because it broke open after being dropped on the kitchen counter.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    taddow:
    I'm about to put the warranty to the test. I've had my Xikar cutter for two years and it works great. I'm going to mail it to them to tomarrow because it broke open after being dropped on the kitchen counter.
    i had my 007 punch from them on my keychain when i handed it over to a Goodyear tire location. it looked as if they had dropped something heavy on it (of course they denied it all). i sent it in Xikar returned it in under 2 weeks.

Xikar rocks.
    Just got mine yesterday from the local B&M, the Xi2 and put it to test last night. Man, what a sharp blade!
  • taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    Very cool- about a week and a half later after I sent Xikar my broken cutter they sent me a brand spankin new one. No questions asked. That's great customer service!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    My friend just got me a Trezo and a Xi 009 Punch. Needless to say, I love them! The Trezo lit the G2 Turbo easily and perfectly.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    zeebra:
    well, I dont know about colibri's warranty, but for $10 more bucks, you are getting the best cutter with a warranty thats worth it IMO. I read nothing but good comments about their replacement blades and how they dont ask questions, just send you out a new one.

I looked at the MoW cutter also.
    I bought one of these a few months ago and havent had any trouble with it. Nice straight cuts, and it hasnt mangled any sticks yet. Granted I havent used the thing a WHOLE lot (Im primarily a punch guy), but Im happy with it.

Cant speak to Colibri's warranty either. I figured for $12 (what I paid for mine) what the he11, and have been pleasantly surprised.