Home Cigar 101

Adding too many cigars, fluctuating humidity?

asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
I have a CCOM 20ct humi that currently has a whole of 4 sticks in it (using a drymistat tube as humidification). I'm getting 15 more cigars in a few days from CCOM and I'm wondering if filling the humi up when it's near empty now will cause the humidity to fluctuate so much in such a short time that it'll be harmful to the cigars in there already. Should I add a few cigars a day or so, or can I fill it up right away? I have a Don Carlos GOF in there that I want to be nice and safe :)

Comments

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    throw em in. It will help protect your don carlos by making the humidity more stable.YOu'll probably need another drymistat tube though.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Really, one tube wouldn't be enough for a 20 ct humi?
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Your thinking to hard, just put them in and check it.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    +1
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    asolomon:
    I have a single drymistat in a 40ct and it is hanging in there just fine. The only issue I have run into with drymistat tubes is that they can sometimes raise the humidity TOO much. I would recommend you throw the new sticks in with your Don Carlos & the drymistat tube and see what happens before you throw a second drymistat in.

Of course, if you're REEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY worried about it, you can send the Don Carlos to me. I will keep it in a nice stable humi for you til you figure out your RH issue. Promise. :-)

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    asolomon:
    I'm wondering if filling the humi up when it's near empty now will cause the humidity to fluctuate so much in such a short time that it'll be harmful to the cigars in there already.
    it will not fluctuate to a point where it will damage cigars. ccom will ship you cigars that have been stored at 70/70. if you keep your humidor at 65% it will spike up but not much more than 70%. if you keep your humidor at 70% you may go up a point or two but that wont hurt em.

in the long run, a humidor that is full will be more stable than an empty humidor. it will recover from frequent opening faster. it will be able to handle new cigars even better. having a full humidor is good on just about every level...

unless you wanna buy more cigars cos you cant.
    ...cos its full...
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    kuzi16:
    asolomon:
    I'm wondering if filling the humi up when it's near empty now will cause the humidity to fluctuate so much in such a short time that it'll be harmful to the cigars in there already.
    it will not fluctuate to a point where it will damage cigars. ccom will ship you cigars that have been stored at 70/70. if you keep your humidor at 65% it will spike up but not much more than 70%. if you keep your humidor at 70% you may go up a point or two but that wont hurt em.

in the long run, a humidor that is full will be more stable than an empty humidor. it will recover from frequent opening faster. it will be able to handle new cigars even better. having a full humidor is good on just about every level...

...cos its full...
    Oh no my humidor's full!!! What to do!!!

Lol that's prpbably the best problem to have. Besides having too much money.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    asolomon:
    It's not for mine. I stocked it full full though. I have 2 in there and it holds 67 nice and firm. I find that a drymistat is good for mayyyyyybe 15 cigars, but anymore in a non humid area, and it dips.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    fla-gypsy:
    LOL yeah I tend to do that.... blessing and a curse I guess.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pnaylon:
    kuzi16:
    asolomon:

...cos its full...
    Oh no my humidor's full!!! What to do!!!

Lol that's prpbably the best problem to have. Besides having too much money.
    Smoke more or get a bigger humidor. That's what we all do.