Home Cigar 101

Maintaining Temperature

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
So I live in the Pacific Northwest, where no one really has air conditioning. The problem is that during the summer, my condo consistently gets up to 80 degrees (many times higher) during the day.

So before that happens and my humi turns into a beetle nursury, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my cigars cool? I've been considering buying a Vinotemp that I can use as a summer humi.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yeah that's probably your best bet.

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    hmmmm, if you are considering it, you should probably do it. Or find a place to hide them dark and cool.....

Orrrrr, buy a small window unit for the room. That way the cigar master can enjoy the cool too! Those vinotemps aren't expensive, but they are pricey enough that it might be worth looking into a small window unit. Some of them have t-stats. Or, since I have a small unit and like cold air to sleep in, I run my A.C on low all night, and it gets down to 65 or so in my room. Shut it off before I go to work and the box stays cool enough all day so that when I get home it only gets up to 72-74 or so. The wood will actually do a little insulation too.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    You may be able to get away with buying a cheap vinotemp, taking out all the shelves, turning the unit on its back, and placing your humidor inside of it. Or if you've got the money, I know there's some small refrigerator units you can buy and put in there - these little things can be expensive, but they're small enough to fit inside a humidor
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Is temperature really that relevant if your humidity is well controlled?
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    mrpillow:
    Is temperature really that relevant if your humidity is well controlled?
    It is because at temperatures about 75 degrees, you risk beetle infestation. Beetle eggs hatch at temperatures above 75 degrees.
    But doesn't the humidity have to be unusually high as well to promote beetles to hatch? I didn't think only temp would do it.
    mrpillow:
    But doesn't the humidity have to be unusually high as well to promote beetles to hatch? I didn't think only temp would do it.
    I could be wrong, but I think temperature is the driver. So you can have your humi at the appropriate RH, but once the temps start climbing, the risk of beetles are increased. The scenario you are describing is for mold.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am going to jump in here on this issue because those of us in the deep south fight temp all the time in summer. My summer Humi temp will routinely hit 75--77* during summer days. I have not encountered any beetle problems but don't rule it out either. It is very expensive to keep a house cooler than 76 down this way in the summer.
    You're tellin me, it's 82 upstairs here right now!
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Yup, I'm right with you guys there. I keep my a/c at 82 during the day while I am out. The gars are in the coolest darkest part of the house and I have not had a beetle problem in 8 years.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    MrMoke:
    Yup, I'm right with you guys there. I keep my a/c at 82 during the day while I am out. The gars are in the coolest darkest part of the house and I have not had a beetle problem in 8 years.
    I think it is very important to only deal with reputable sources as well. I have a few small Humis I could use if I buy from an unfamiliar source as a quarrintine box until i am satisfied they are safe.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    fla-gypsy:
    I am going to jump in here on this issue because those of us in the deep south fight temp all the time in summer. My summer Humi temp will routinely hit 75--77* during summer days. I have not encountered any beetle problems but don't rule it out either. It is very expensive to keep a house cooler than 76 down this way in the summer.
    I am right there with you. My humi temp will be around 76. I think I need to add another fan in to my cabinet...it should help some.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    MrMoke:
    this is about where i am too. i keep my RH at 65% and my temp at 80 when out of the house and i have not had a problem in the last 5 -6 years.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    So I live in the Pacific Northwest, where no one really has air conditioning. The problem is that during the summer, my condo consistently gets up to 80 degrees (many times higher) during the day.

So before that happens and my humi turns into a beetle nursury, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my cigars cool? I've been considering buying a Vinotemp that I can use as a summer humi.
    lol, tell me about it. I've been looking at new houses and it's hard to believe but a lot of them don't have AC units!!!! It's amazing. Right now I have everything in a closet in a middle room of my duplex. Stayed pretty constant last summer.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem maintaining temp. in my humidors. They always stay between 68 and 74. They are stored in a walk in closet that has a heat/ac vent in it. Nice.
    phobicsquirrel:
    sightunseen:

lol, tell me about it. I've been looking at new houses and it's hard to believe but a lot of them don't have AC units!!!! It's amazing. Right now I have everything in a closet in a middle room of my duplex. Stayed pretty constant last summer.
    Yea, it's pretty lame. You're in Portland, right? My condo is a top corner unit so I can't hide away from the sun. Every part of my house gets hot.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and reassurances.