Home General Discussion

Humi-care gel or humi-care jar?

Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
What would be best for me to buy from this website to help boost the humidity? I have a 20 count humidor.

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Before you buy anything you need to calibrate hygrometer to find out what your humidity actually is.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boveda kit ok?
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    humicare sucks. Get beads
    What's a good brand and a website to order from?
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    jsnake:
    Beads for a 20ct humidor? Really?

Ive had good luck with humicare products in my humidors, especially the smaller-count ones. To answer your other question, by all means use the boveda kit to calibrate your hygrometer - its the most accurate and consistent way Ive found to do the job.

Best of luck, and enjoy the new humi!

I'm gonna order the boveda calibration kit today and I'll take it from there. Thanks for the help.
    gdsim1:
    jsnake:
    Beads for a 20ct humidor? Really?

Ive had good luck with humicare products in my humidors, especially the smaller-count ones. To answer your other question, by all means use the boveda kit to calibrate your hygrometer - its the most accurate and consistent way Ive found to do the job.

Best of luck, and enjoy the new humi!

I use beads in all of my humidors including both my 20ct humidors. Humicare is inconsistent and beads are spot on. I speak from experience. Plus in a 20ct humidor space is limited so why would you jam in a huge humicare gel jar? If you want a puck I would look for a gel puck from Xikar or Cigar Savor.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Isn't the same stuff in both? Just saying....

How much are pucks and is it small enough for the humi?
    Pacman84:
    How much are pucks and is it small enough for the humi?
    I am not sure of the puck prices and yes they will fit. You can mount them on the underside of the lid right where your old humidifier went. I am sure the gel inside all of these are similar in nature yet different. Heartfelt beads are a much higher quality then others I have tried. Same type of product and concept yet different quality. I have Cigar Savor in my 300ct and they are 1000% better than humicare products. Much higher quality and they work!
    Do you recommend me getting the 65 or 70 bead humidifier I live in Texas and summers are really hot down here. Another question, how often do I need to put water on the beads and do I still leave my water pillows in the humi?
    You need to recharge them whenever your humidity starts to drop. I'd go with 65%, most peopel will agree cigars smoke better at this level. Do not leave your pillows in the humi.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna calibrate my hygrometer first and then I'll see what to buy.
    If I were to buy the 65 RH beads will it stay at this constant humidity for a good while?
    As long as the beads remain charged and you have enough it'll hold there indefinitely.
    mrpillow:
    As long as the beads remain charged and you have enough it'll hold there indefinitely.
    +1 I charge my beads every few weeks and sometimes up to once a month. They are so easy and carefree and if you have limited space they make new containers of various shapes to accommodate your humidor.
    How much water are you supposed to put on the beads and when do you know to change the beads to new ones?
    When you initially do it you want the beads all charged which makes them clear. I spray mine with distilled water with a sprayer. You have to be careful because they can break or burst when charging. When the beads turn white or lose their clearness then it is time for a recharge. I think after the first time they recommend 75% of the beads being clear. That way the beads can absorb and release humidity as needed. Heartfelt has some good info on their site.
    So just alittle distilled water. What do I do if crystals burst or break?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    mrpillow:
    +1 I charge my beads every few weeks and sometimes up to once a month. They are so easy and carefree and if you have limited space they make new containers of various shapes to accommodate your humidor.
    i have used old coffin boxes for my beads. works well.

anoyther thing that you can use to hold beads (especially in the travel humidor) is an old metal cigar tube. punch about 100- 150 holes in it with a thicker paperclip (it works, seriously) fill with beads. this could also work in a 20ct humidor... id use two in that application.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Pacman84:
    So just alittle distilled water. What do I do if crystals burst or break?
    nothing. it does not harm their humidifying properties.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    kuzi16:
    jsnake:
    mrpillow:
    i have used old coffin boxes for my beads. works well.

anoyther thing that you can use to hold beads (especially in the travel humidor) is an old metal cigar tube. punch about 100- 150 holes in it with a thicker paperclip (it works, seriously) fill with beads. this could also work in a 20ct humidor... id use two in that application.
    I've got 2 tubo's in a 20count humi and they work perfectly. I need more for my travel humi's.
    Would it be ok to get the bead humidifier puck instead of the tube? My humi is at its limit.
    Pacman84:
    Would it be ok to get the bead humidifier puck instead of the tube? My humi is at its limit.
    Yes, it should just attach under the lid like your old humidifier puck did. get what works for you.
    Should I wait to calibrate my hygrometer before I buy the beads?
    YES. Calibrate your hygro first and see what your real humidity is. You might be worrying about nothing at the moment, or your humidity might even be too high as is. Find out what you're dealing with before you look for a solution.