Home Non Cigar Related

Just ordered my first pipe!

Welp, I gave in and have strayed from being a cigar only man. Yesterday I ordered a new Peterson "Shannon" in style B11. Should be here in a few days. I wonder if my better half, also named Shannon, will have any problem with this...

Anyone have any recommendations for good, affordable pipe tobacco that I should try?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to your B & M and get a small amount of several types and see what you like. It's sort of like sampling cigars.

Stay away from the commercial stuff. Make sure you break it in slowly. Fill it only half way until it starts to build up a cake inside before you fill it all the way.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking pipe. Last one I had looked nothing like that and I wouldn't consider what was put in it affordable.lol Good Luck though.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Peterson's Irish Flake. My favorite pipe tobacco.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Good looking pipe brother! Welcome to a totally new world. After I did some reading, I went to my local drug store and picked up some Captain Black (at this point, I have both the White and the Gold) - it's generally fairly priced for a pouch, and I quite enjoy it. I've found some other blends I like more, but it's a pretty solid standby. Cost me about $8 for a pouch, and there's a few oz in there (don't recall exactly how much).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm. I've become quite attached to Samuel Gawith's Skiff (I think it's $10 for a 50g tin), a wonderful Oriental tobacco. But my favorite is still Voodoo Queen (I think it's $3 to $4 an ounce). I believe people review it as an English Blend. But then again, I really enjoy the English/Oriental blends over so many others.

My 2 cents.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Peterson is a top-notch pipe - excellent choice! Just be sure to break it in/season it gradually - the general recommendation/advice is to pack only 1/3 of a bowl for your first 10 smokes, then pack 2/3 of a bowl for the next 10 - after that, you can pack it full. The reason for this is you want to build up a 'cake' on the inside which protects the wood from the fire so you don't wind up burning your pipe from the inside-out.

As for tobacco, I like Captain Black (white) - you can get it online for about $30 for a tin (about 100 bowls or so worth of tobacco), or about $60 for a 5 lbs bag (don't buy from retail stores unless you wanna sample a single small packet - even Wal-mart drastically overcharges for pipe tobacco). Also check out Borkum Riff, another favorite of mine (the cherry version of Borkum Riff is also quite nice)

A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth

:::cough::::: I've got something for ya to put in your mouth!!! lol...

I got my buddy a pipe for xmas from my local shop. I've been thinking about getting a pipe as I love the smell of them burning tobacco. I've often wondered if they taste as good as they smell. If so I may not go back to cigars after smoking a pipe... I'm sort of scared.

BTW what did this pipe go for if you don't mind sharing...?
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    phobicsquirrel:
    xmacro:

I got my buddy a pipe for xmas from my local shop. I've been thinking about getting a pipe as I love the smell of them burning tobacco. I've often wondered if they taste as good as they smell. If so I may not go back to cigars after smoking a pipe... I'm sort of scared.

do you want mine?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Alex Williams:
    phobicsquirrel:
    xmacro:

do you want mine?
    pipe sharing? I dunno... thanks for the offer though. You don't like pipes?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    One of my good budies is an avid pipe smoker and he's got me all set as far as breaking in instructions and whatnot. She shipped out USPS today and should be on my doorstep on saturday =D Definitely looking forward to trying this out!

Squirrel - I got it off of the Ebay for $65 shipped after coupons. Not a bad deal if I do say so!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    God I'd love to smoke a pipe but one addiction (well 2 since I smoke cigs since they're quicker on my way to work n whatnot) is kind of out of control as is I think my roommates would kill me if I started smoking a pipe too
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    YankeeMan:
    Make sure you break it in slowly. Fill it only half way until it starts to build up a cake inside before you fill it all the way.
    That's what she said.

And, yes, just get a variety of stuff and try it. I always recommend Iwan Ries's house blends as an excellent, inexpensive place to start. Linky Linky
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Well she arrived today, and is far more gorgeous than I had hoped for. Can't wait to light her up!

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's a beautiful piece of briar, mrpillow. Congrats!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my father described the difference between a pipe and a cigar to me once. (i may have said this before)

he said:
    " a cigar inspires conversation, a pipe inspires quiet contemplation"

the advertising picture does no justice to the pipe you actually bought. that is one of the best looking pipes ive seen in a while.
  • DaveTheRookie09DaveTheRookie09 Posts: 58
    That is absolutely beautiful!!! really makes me want to get one!!