Home Non Cigar Related

Fatty Liver

I was recently discovered to have a fatty liver (I don't drink so its milder) and kind of got scared from all this. Since we post prayer requests here, I'd like to ask for you to keep my fat liver in your prayers! More seriously - if you also have any advice - feel more than welcome to share..

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive had fatty liver for 10 yrs....my good buddy, for like 35 years. Too much booze, too much fat foods, too much living. If youre worried, you can go to a GI doctor and they can do an ultrasound to ensure there is no further damage...otherwise, more of the drink less, low fat diet stuff we hear all the time. Im not blowing this off by the way because when I was first told this, I thought I woudl have cirrohosis and be dead by 30---not the case. Hopefully, youll be better than me and follow Dr orders.....I just let the ALT and AST stay high.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear this. I doubt I'd be able to stop drinking then again I don't do it every day.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm no doctor, and I don't know your specifics (age, weight, cholesterol, etc.) but I would suggest a strict diet/exercise program. Fatty deposits on your organs are almost always due to poor diet and lack of cardio and weight training. I've struggled with my weight and cholesterol over the past few years. I have a history of heart disease in my family. And at my last physical, my doc asked me if I want to live to be 60. Kinda hit home.

Since then, I've lost 17 pounds. I started the Body for Life challenge, recommended to me by my dietician sister-in-law. I'm on week 7 of the 12 week program and I feel great. The diet is pretty simple. Low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein. But you get a "cheat day" once a week. They have a web site to check out.... bodyforlife.com. The workouts are pretty intense, so I'd ask your doc if you're able to do them first.

Good luck, bro.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    what kind of exercises does it have...? I finished p90x a few weeks ago and my wife is working on it. We've let things go for a while and now we are working our butts off to back in shape. you can pm me too..
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Froie gras?

All kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck. The advice the others gave sounds great.
    phobicsquirrel:
    what kind of exercises does it have...? I finished p90x a few weeks ago and my wife is working on it. We've let things go for a while and now we are working our butts off to back in shape. you can pm me too..
    PM sent......
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    lilwing88:
    phobicsquirrel:
    PM sent......
    ditto
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    I'm no doctor, and I don't know your specifics (age, weight, cholesterol, etc.) but I would suggest a strict diet/exercise program. Fatty deposits on your organs are almost always due to poor diet and lack of cardio and weight training. I've struggled with my weight and cholesterol over the past few years. I have a history of heart disease in my family. And at my last physical, my doc asked me if I want to live to be 60. Kinda hit home.

Since then, I've lost 17 pounds. I started the Body for Life challenge, recommended to me by my dietician sister-in-law. I'm on week 7 of the 12 week program and I feel great. The diet is pretty simple. Low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein. But you get a "cheat day" once a week. They have a web site to check out.... bodyforlife.com. The workouts are pretty intense, so I'd ask your doc if you're able to do them first.

Good luck, bro.
    Thanks for the support and advice boys! Just so you know - I am otherwise pretty healthy! I weigh 165 pounds, 5'8" and have great cholesterol and other levels. PLUS I drink very very rarely :) and try to exercise often. I have not exercised in a while though and have had pretty bad diet for the past 6 months so I attribute all this to that... But I'll see in about 3 months if there is change. If I can keep the levels at a reasonable level, I'll be fine... I am scared of the cirrhosis thing as well, but I think I should be ok - especially after seeing the testimonies here ;)! I'm glad at least all else is great and I won't have to lay off the 'gars even if I have to lay off booze ;)...
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Sorry to hear about this. Did you suspect something was wrong, or did you find out during a normal check up? Hope you are able to get this in check. Good luck!
    txjayhawk:
    lilwing88:
    phobicsquirrel:
    PM sent......
    ditto
    pm to you too
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Not to make light of your situation as I am sure it is serious. I have fatty everything and don't drink a drop. Getting weight off and getting in shape is no easy task especially when you hate exercising. Good luck on controlling it.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Sorry Bro - Good luck. What are your symptoms, how did they find out? Normal blood tests?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I found out I had a fatty liver after failing to qualify for life insurance. They tested me for everything under the sun. You know what I did to get my liver enzymes down. I quit all burger like fast food. I eat better now. I lost 40 pounds and it all went away. My wife and I always ate junk food because it was on the way home and easier. Now we still eat out from time to time but I will choose something not processed like Subway. If I want to be bad, I get Taco Bell and order chicken items with no beans or meat. I also don't hardly eat red meat anymore.
    you will be able to kick this deal really easy if you keep it simple and work hard. It will go away if you are dilligent. Don't give up cigars though, that's a no no.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Sorry to hear it, man. Sounds like there are some success stories around here to learn from, though.
    phobicsquirrel:
    That P90X is a bad mammer-jammer.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    urbino:
    Sorry to hear it, man. Sounds like there are some success stories around here to learn from, though.
    phobicsquirrel:
    That P90X is a bad mammer-jammer.
    Word. I'm only at the end of week 3 now and it is killer.

Also, My name is David. It's been 4 weeks since my last cigar. I'm starting to get a little worried and lonely. I like the exercising, but it has cut into cigar time. What is a girl to do?! Er....boy. Yeah. Boy.
    Oh and Stan (Nice to have you back, by the way), I would recommend finding a good workout program and try to eat better. I still don't eat great all the time, but I have tried to cut back on as much fast food and eating late at night. Plus fruit & yogurt & OJ etc. smoothies are amazing. Throw a little whey protein in there and it's perfect. It keeps you full and it's good for you.

Not that I was very out of shape before, but I have already dropped 5 pounds with a little over 2 weeks of this program and just eating a little better. I am still a twig though at 5' 10" and 160lbs!
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys who do the strict dieting and cutting back I reallllllly admire. I dont have much of the willpower for it, and I dont have much of the want either to be truly honest. When it comes to weight and bing drinking I live by the Jimmy Buffett line "I'd rather die while Im living, than live while Im dead".....of course all the gin and tonics along with cinese food may make me feel differently when I die at age 35.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    I found out I had a fatty liver after failing to qualify for life insurance. They tested me for everything under the sun. You know what I did to get my liver enzymes down. I quit all burger like fast food. I eat better now. I lost 40 pounds and it all went away. My wife and I always ate junk food because it was on the way home and easier. Now we still eat out from time to time but I will choose something not processed like Subway. If I want to be bad, I get Taco Bell and order chicken items with no beans or meat. I also don't hardly eat red meat anymore.
    you will be able to kick this deal really easy if you keep it simple and work hard. It will go away if you are dilligent. Don't give up cigars though, that's a no no.
    Thanks, bro! Your success story put my mind on ease! That goes for everybody actually. I am glad I posted this on here... Now I know at least "i'm not the only one" and there are things I can definitely do. Otherwise - they did find it in a regular check-up. I went for full tests, including full bloodwork, and they found slightly elevated liver enzyme levels. Next step was to repeat those tests with stress on hepatitis and other stuff (which could have been the cause and I'm glad are not) and a sonogram which was supposed to show my insides. They found no change in the levels and the sonogram showed some fat so by process of elimination they concluded fatty liver. Ima have to restest in 3 months and it will hopefully be down after proper diet and exercise... But Moose - Why no cigars? Did your doctor say you shouldn't smoke either? Thanks again to all!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yeah, I have it too! Have had it for about 4 years now.
    No, I haven't actually been to the doctor. It's just something I'm doing for myself. Honestly, I don't have time! Between working out and work there really isn't the time. The way I see it, all of my cigars are just aging really well right now!