Home Cigar 101

Cuban Flavor?

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
So i found a flavor that I DO NOT like in Cigars... but I have no idea what it is...
I've noticed the same flavor/after taste in every cigar I've smoked with "Cuban" in the title... the list being Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, Cigar.com Cuban Label and Cuban Lagacy... One thing these sticks have in common is a low price point (except the DPG) so that may have something to do with it... of these three, the DPG was by far my favorite, but I will avoid it in the future

I don't really know how to describe the flavor, but it is the dominant flavor in the after taste... it tastes like cheap cigarettes... I'm trying to figure out what causes this flavor so I can avoid it in the future... the last thing I want to do is pick up an expensive stick that has this flavor...
Any thoughts?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The flavor is tobacco.
    You should give it up and send all your supply to me for proper destruction.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    When I was just getting into cigars I noticed a cigarette like flavor/aftertaste to almost every habano wrapped cigar I had. It wasn't until my pallet changed a few times that I really started to like habanos. This really prejudiced me against a lot of cigars that I am just now coming back to. Sol cubano, 5 Veg classic(sumatra, I know), La Aurora 1495, 5 veg Miami, etc were all disgusting to me. I think I just wasn't ready for the body that those cigars have.

I don't know how new you are to cigars, so I make no assumptions, and that may or may not have bearing on your issue.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Russ55:
    When I was just getting into cigars I noticed a cigarette like flavor/aftertaste to almost every habano wrapped cigar I had. It wasn't until my pallet changed a few times that I really started to like habanos. This really prejudiced me against a lot of cigars that I am just now coming back to. Sol cubano, 5 Veg classic(sumatra, I know), La Aurora 1495, 5 veg Miami, etc were all disgusting to me. I think I just wasn't ready for the body that those cigars have.

I don't know how new you are to cigars, so I make no assumptions, and that may or may not have bearing on your issue.
    I've been smoking for about a year, but not all that much... I have about 1-2 sticks per week, on average...
    the reason I brought this up is because i've only tasted this flavor in these 4 cigars... some of my favorites have Habano wrappers, Padilla Habano is one of my top 10 favorites and I love both of those 5V's you mentioned...
    it's a tangy sour taste... and I'm sure it's my pallet... I just want to be able to put my finger on it i guess...
    stephen_hannibal:
    The flavor is tobacco.

ha... is that is what is?
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    You just named all my favorite sticks. Too each his own. I for one have only found a couple of maduro's that I like. It's all about your personal tastes.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a spicy/pepper flavor? That's too bad you dislike those cigars, they are some of my favorites. Not to mention I sent you the cabinets. Dang!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    robbyras:
    Russ55:

I've been smoking for about a year, but not all that much... I have about 1-2 sticks per week, on average...
    the reason I brought this up is because i've only tasted this flavor in these 4 cigars... some of my favorites have Habano wrappers, Padilla Habano is one of my top 10 favorites and I love both of those 5V's you mentioned...
    it's a tangy sour taste... and I'm sure it's my pallet... I just want to be able to put my finger on it i guess...
    It wasn't all habanos, just some. It was enough to convince me at the time that I just didn't like habanos. Then my palate changed, and I tried a Ruination...
    undulac:
    You just named all my favorite sticks. Too each his own. I for one have only found a couple of maduro's that I like. It's all about your personal tastes.
    to that point, I haven't met a maduro I didn't like...
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I know the flavor you speak of, robby. Or, at least, I think I do. Kind of a damp ashtray taste?

I don't know the name of it, either, I can't say I've gotten it consistently from any cigar, and I don't think I've ever gotten it from any of the ones you named. I just get it occasionally from an individual stogie now and then.

Love me some habanos!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Robby, it seems to me that all "Cuban" themed cigars and real Cubans, as well, come from similar types of tobaccos. So, it probably is just a preference thing. I like the Cuban inspired sticks and the real things because of the spicy tang factor.

Everyone has their own take on Cubans in general. I know some guys who swear by them and i know others who admire from a distance (me) and yet others who have sworn them off completely as over-rated commie dirt rockets.

BTW have you tried an AF Sun Grown Cuban Belicoso yet?

Try one. It may change your mind about the whole "cuban" thing.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    yeah, I am very hit or miss with "cuban" cigars. I have had some very very good ones and some that feel like they may kill me. I try to keep them cooler and avoid heating it up too much by 2-puffing instead of 3+ puffing. If they get hot, they will coat your palate a little too much and that may be where you are getting the cheap cigarette finish. Smoke them slower and cooler and give the DPG another chance. If your humidor is up in the high 60's, low 70's you may want to bring that down to 65 too.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Hopefully Flavormaster Kuzi will come on and know a good way to describe that flavor you're getting so you can watch out for it in the future.

Me personally I've never gotten that flavor before so I'm no help other than invoking Kuzi :p
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:

I have to agree with Russ on this one, I felt the same way about habano-wrapped stogies at first, but now I love them, almost to the point of smoking more of them than any other blend/flavor profile.

As you continue smoking cigars your palate continuously changes, and you'll happen across a cuban-blended cigar and get blown up by it and from then on you'll never get enough of them.

• 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    I like the Cuban Cabinets and do notice a different taste in them. I attribute the taste to the word "musky".
    24footjet:
    I like the Cuban Cabinets and do notice a different taste in them. I attribute the taste to the word "musky".
    that's a great call... it's a tart musky taste... not sure that is the official term, but I'll take it...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    MMMMMMM, Habano wrapper
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    robbyras:
    stephen_hannibal:
    The flavor is tobacco.

ha... is that is what is?
    LMAO hannibal is ALWAYS working the angle! My hero!