Home General Discussion

Temperature

Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's the best way to lower the temperature in your humidor?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    crank up the A/C or move it to a cooler place in the house. (basement, central closet, etc...)

if that doesnt work (or you dont have A/C ) there are always wine fridges.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Lower the temperature of the room it's in.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use the ac too much light bill is crazy. I'll try to move it somewhere else
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you put on top of your fridge if you have a top end freezer?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    As long as your humidity is correct, a temperature a little higher than recommended shouldn't be a problem.
    I think last I checked it was at 74 and 65rh.
    Pacman84:
    I think last I checked it was at 74 and 65rh.
    Mine gets to be around that at times. I live in Texas as well, and my temp gets a tad bit high during the summer. I've never had any real problems though. Just watch it to make sure ti doesn't start getting over 75, that's when I start to worry. As long as your rH is good, you should be alright though.
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. I lived in las colinas I miss Dallas
    Pacman84:
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. I lived in las colinas I miss Dallas
    Yeah, I really like living out here. I live about forty minutes from Dallas though. Where are you at now?
    I'm about 2 hours away from san antonio in a town called eagle pass
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I was worried too about my temp and rh, as I'm in Houston and its hot down here during the summer time. I just make sure I have more than enough beads in there to help with the high temp. Also, I moved my humidor into the closet since it will be a bit cooler in there during the summer.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    I need to find a way to drop the temp in my cabinet. Any ideas??
    That's where I have mine. I'm looking into getting some beads as well after I calibrate my hygrometer.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    when my temp starts creeping up a little, i usually turn on my ceiling fan. Gets the air moving and helps get the temp down a little.

"Long ashes my friends."

txjayhawk:
    there has been talk of using a peltier device in a humidor. you can view it on THIS THREAD

kuzi16:
    txjayhawk:
    there has been talk of using a peltier device in a humidor. you can view it on THIS THREAD

how would I go about using something like that? I have enough plugs to convert it to an AC plug but jsut not sure how I would. Any info you have would be very helpful. Do you think I could just add a few more fans to the cabinet to get air moving more?
    im not sure you read the entire thread or not but deep in there somewhere is a fairly in depth discussion on the practicality of a peltier and links to other forums that had similar topics.

would fans work to keep it cool?

i doubt it. adding a fan to a room that is 80 is just going to have 80 degree air that is moving. it feels cooler to us because the movement of the air causes evaporation from the skin quicker.
  • I keep all three of my humi's out of any contact with sunlight on recessed shelves in my room. Right now, here in southeastern Pa, the weather is great temps outside in the 70's during the day soo I just leave the windows open during the day and all three are right at 68* and 73%. Once the summer heat comes about I sometimes take them down stairs if i need to because it tends to be cooler and stay cooler.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    73% seems a wee bit high...
  • ehhh, their yeilding some great smokes so I'm not going to mess with it. I dont like it to get any higher than that but thats a nice humidity for me. Obviously I have some leeway to drop it a little without any issue.
    anyone think that a laptop fan cooling system would work?
    txjayhawk:
    anyone think that a laptop fan cooling system would work?
    ive actually seen that before.