Home General Discussion

Samuel Clemens and His Cigars

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I read this article yesterday and thought it was a very good read. I never knew how hard of a life he had till I read this. Mark Twain I can't believe he smoked 40+ cigars a day too.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    best line in there...

he found the idea of giving up cigars "ludicrous and hateful"

... i do, too.
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Good read. I like the story of swapping cigars, has some truth to it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    best line in there...

he found the idea of giving up cigars "ludicrous and hateful"

... i do, too.
    +1!

"Long ashes my friends."

24footjet:
    Good read. I like the story of swapping cigars, has some truth to it.
    I liked that part too, i also had a laugh when he said the other guy's premium smokes were expensive, and he paid .40 for each one!

"Long ashes my friends."

• illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    great read, if good cigars were only 40 cents nowadays!
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that article with us
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    The man went through 300 cigars a month?!?! I don't know if I've even smoked that many in two years.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I doin't think I could smoke more that 10 in one day, they must have burned much faster then. 8 in a day, with a break for lunch and dinner, is about the most I've smoked.
  • DaveTheRookie09DaveTheRookie09 Posts: 58
    When I am that old I really hope I will have enough hair to rock that hairdo that he's got! Oh yea and I'd like enough money and time for 40 cigars a day!!
    He might have smoked 40 cigars in a day...but he smoked the CRAPPIEST cigars he could find too! So much so, he was famous for it. I guess when a cigar cost .01 - .05 cents each u could afford to smoke 40+ a day.

"Long ashes my friends."

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, very cool read. And the part about him switching out his smokes for the expensive ones, priceless. But did anyone else find it disturbing that he practically broke into the dude's house and stole his smokes?
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    alienmisprint:
    Yeah, very cool read. And the part about him switching out his smokes for the expensive ones, priceless. But did anyone else find it disturbing that he practically broke into the dude's house and stole his smokes?
    I don't see where it says that he broke into the guys house. It says that he took them when no one was looking. Pretty funny story either way. What a tough and amazing life he lived. I wish I could only smoke that much.