Home Ratings & Reviews

My Father Cedro Deluxe

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
This was got in a trade, so not 100% on the vitola, but I would guess a corona or corona extra.

This is a DPG creation, so I knew it was gonna be pretty good going in. But I was still pleasantly surprised by some of the flavors.

Pre-light: This came wrapped in a cedar sleeve with a label at the foot. They both came off without any fuss, so that's always good. The wrapper is very smooth with hardly any visible veins, nice construction. Tan, slightly caramel colored wrapper with a satin feel to it. Smells of sweet tobacco and spice.

First draw: I cut it using a double guillotine and a draw test tells me this thing is packed perfectly. After toasting easily, my first draw is a pepper blast. Lots of spice and heavy smoke. Getting into the first half inch, the pepper mellows out and there are other spices involved. I can't quite place them, but I think I'm picking up cayenne and cumin. My taste buds are fairly new to the game, so I could be way off here. Anyways, it's a lingering finish and strength is medium at this point. Draw is perfect. Burn is even enough, but not razor sharp. Getting nice smoke out put.

First Third: The spice flavors stick around for the first third and are becoming more noticeable. It's almost like having some very spicy Indian food. Just a rush of spices all over the palette. Very tasty spices too. I'm liking it so far. Burn and draw are still consistent, however, the ash isn't holding on for more than a half inch at a time. But I don't think it's affecting anything.

Second third: Spiciness has mellowed out a bit and now I'm getting cream and leather notes along with a hint of cedar and earth. Kind of a "total package", flavor profile-wise. Still lot's of smoke. Burn is kind of weak at this point. I can't let it sit for more than a minute or two, or it will go out. But, oh well, guess I'll have to keep smoking then!

Last third: At this point the burn is getting too hot and the wrapper is starting to really soften. So I won't be able to nub this one. A larger vitola would have probably held up a little longer. The flavors are all still there. Lots of spice, leather and cream. Burn and draw were consistent throughout.

Overall, this was a winner for me. The price point is a little on the high side, as I wasn't "blown away" by it. I think they're around $10-$12 per stick and over $200 for a box. A box of these are out of my personal price range, but I'd grab a stick at the B&M occasionally. Next time, I think a nice rum pairing will be in order.

Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I need pics in reviews.. other than that nicely done. I know I might get a lot of flack on this, but I haven't been too on the boat for pepin's stuff. I do enjoy the 601 maduros. I've heard the "my father" is over priced but hey everyone had different tastes. I find it hard to find smokes past the 10 dollar range that are really worth the extra cash. At least for me..
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    flack flack flack - you got it!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive been testing the DPG waters as of late and am liking it. Tatuaje IV was good, the DGP JJ WAS EFFING GREAT!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I need pics in reviews.. other than that nicely done. I know I might get a lot of flack on this, but I haven't been too on the boat for pepin's stuff. I do enjoy the 601 maduros. I've heard the "my father" is over priced but hey everyone had different tastes. I find it hard to find smokes past the 10 dollar range that are really worth the extra cash. At least for me..
    I'm not big on any of his namesake brands, but I do greatly enjoy all the blends he has done for 5 Vegas and Tat. The Mi Barrio is also damn good. I haven't tried a My Father yet, but I do have one of the Cedro Deluxes in the aging humi.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I added some pics for ya. They're not mine, but it's the exact same cigar..... plus, I thought they were very nice pics. I used to always either add a stock photo with my reviews or take a few pics of my own (but I'm a horrible photographer...... you should see my wife when I take pictures, "Marty! Could you get at least ONE of me with my eyes open!!!").
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, ah much better. hehe...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Smoked a My Father Le Bijou in the petite robusto size last week some time, and thought it was fantastic. I will certainly be buying some more.

Thanks for your review.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    docbp87:
    Smoked a My Father Le Bijou in the petite robusto size last week some time, and thought it was fantastic. I will certainly be buying some more.

Thanks for your review.
    I picked up a couple of the Le Bijou a month ago or so, looking forward to giving it a try.

Mustluvcigars sent me a couple of the Cedros Deluxe, I smoked one earlier this week. It was quite good, but it never had that "wow" factor that I'm constantly searching for.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    Still a little new to this whole thing, but I will tell you two things. Went to my local B&M about a week ago. Had a Tatuaje and absolutely loved every second of it. It was the one in the red tube. My only complaint was that I was not able to nub it because the draw got very inconsistent on the back end. Other than that great absolutely great cigar. I just smoked a My Father yesterday and again loved the hell out of it. Great spice to it and just all around great. Thought I was going to have problems with burn when I looked down and it was uneven, but it evened itself out and I nubbed it. Loved it and would definetly purchase again.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    docbp87:

Thanks for your review.
    I picked up a couple of the Le Bijou a month ago or so, looking forward to giving it a try.

Mustluvcigars sent me a couple of the Cedros Deluxe, I smoked one earlier this week. It was quite good, but it never had that "wow" factor that I'm constantly searching for.
    You ever try the Mi Barrio by DPG? Those definitely have a wow factor for me.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I smoked a My Father No. 3 tonight. I had a terrible time of it. First, the pre-light draw had an extreme ammonia flavor, painfully chemical tasting. I decided to just go for it anyway, and see what happened. Well, it was plugged. So first I cut a little more off. Nothing. I finally got my poker, and STILL nothing. I was able to draw, but the smoke production was almost non-existent. I Smoked it for about and inch and a half, and finally it started to open up a little bit. Then the wrapper started cracking. There also was a massive crevasse in the ash that I cannot explain. Then the draw became super tight again. And of course, it tasted like bleach the entire time. After a little over two inches, I threw in the towel, and chucked it. I love the My Father stuff I have had previously, but this was most definitely an AWFUL dud. :(
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    alienmisprint:
    TatuajeVI:
    docbp87:

Thanks for your review.

You ever try the Mi Barrio by DPG? Those definitely have a wow factor for me.
    I haven't yet. I've seen them locally - pricey! But on your recommendation I'll grab a couple next time I'm out.