Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O war Virtue

13»

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Had one yesterday. I was, sadly, a little disappointed. I really wanted to like it. But it just didn't do it for me. The first half of the stick was bitter and bland. The second half was a little smoother and had some of the creamy and nutty flavors that others described, but it was very subtle. I'll stick to the Ruinations.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Which vitola did you smoke? I've had a few, and didn't care much for the 44-ring gauge, or the torpedo, but the robusto was rather good
  • Corymc23Corymc23 Posts: 31
    I agree, the robusto really was great (granted I like medium cigars) but I will agree that the 44-ring gauge wasn't much to write home about.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Interesting, the Lonsdale is my favorite size so far. I thought it was fantastic! The robusto was good as well. The toro was good, but not great. Got 3 more sizes to test drive...
    xmacro:
    Which vitola did you smoke? I've had a few, and didn't care much for the 44-ring gauge, or the torpedo, but the robusto was rather good
    I had the Torp. It had some burn issues and a very tight draw with light, wispy smoke out put. I might have to try the Robusto.
    lilwing88:
    xmacro:
    I had the Torp. It had some burn issues and a very tight draw with light, wispy smoke out put. I might have to try the Robusto.
    Sounds like you just had a bad one. Every one I've had so far (even the ones I didn't like) have had a razor-sharp burn, loose draw, and a very large smoke output - exactly the opposite of what you describe
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Duder2:
    Interesting, the Lonsdale is my favorite size so far. I thought it was fantastic! The robusto was good as well. The toro was good, but not great. Got 3 more sizes to test drive...
    Me too, but Ive only had the lonsdale. I really liked it. Burn was razor sharp & tons of smoke output. Flavors were complex and great!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I haven't tried them yet.
    Do you happen to have either in your humi?
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Fourtotheflush:
    Duder2:
    Me too, but Ive only had the lonsdale. I really liked it. Burn was razor sharp & tons of smoke output. Flavors were complex and great!
    Yup, all have had razor sharp burn, slightly loose draw, and lots of smoke output. I really liked the more concentrated flavors out of the lonsdale.
    xmacro:
    lilwing88:
    xmacro:
    Sounds like you just had a bad one. Every one I've had so far (even the ones I didn't like) have had a razor-sharp burn, loose draw, and a very large smoke output - exactly the opposite of what you describe
    It could have been a problem with my particular stick. The burn issue seemed to be a vein that the burn was running down. So, it was always the same spot that needed constant correcting. The smoke out put and tight draw is what really bothered me. I even tried trimming the opening a few times. I also noticed some tar build up at the cut. I definitely think I got a dud.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    I haven't tried them yet.
    Do you happen to have either in your humi?
    I dew. Just haven't gotten around to them, yet. Looking for an opinion, feebs?
    I was going to send ya some if you didn't.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    phobicsquirrel:
    I was going to send ya some if you didn't.
    Ah. I've really got too bleedin' many cigars right now, but thanks for the thought, muchacho.
  • I had one of these yesterday. I thought it was tasty (although much lighter than I expected). Super smooth and creamy. little bit of spice here and there, toasty with cedar, nuts and leathery notes. All in all a good stick, I got mine in the AJ Dirty Dozen sampler so looking forward to the other MoWs.
  • dubiousmonk:
    I had one of these yesterday. I thought it was tasty (although much lighter than I expected). Super smooth and creamy. little bit of spice here and there, toasty with cedar, nuts and leathery notes. All in all a good stick, I got mine in the AJ Dirty Dozen sampler so looking forward to the other MoWs.
    Wow. This is like Deja Vu all over again.. I smoked mine yesterday and just received it a few days ago in the same package... I agree with your observations too.. I didn't notice as much cream tastes as you did, but I did get a hint of it. The spice and leathery notes were more pronounced to me. All in all a very good stick... Hope I enjoy the other Man-O-Wars as much as I did this one. So far my favorite mild-medium with a great flavor cigar is the Verdadero Organic... Cheers!
  • Indeed! I too am a big fan of the Verdadero Organic, great unique flavor.
    Duder2:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Duder2:
    Yup, all have had razor sharp burn, slightly loose draw, and lots of smoke output. I really liked the more concentrated flavors out of the lonsdale.

Ok, I have had two now. 1 hit and 1 miss. - this sounds familiar?-
    The Lonsdale was fantastic IMHO. Complex w pepper spice, creamyness, nutty, etc. Great construction great smoke output.

I just had the mini solomon or petite belicoso - whatever the name is of it.
    It had a tight draw, minimal smoke output. I was really thinking of chucking it out. Until it hit the max ring guage point in the cigar it was really a tough fckuker.

The flavors were totally different than the lonsdale. No pepper, no creaminess. There were a coupel hints of nice sweetness there, but this cigar felt really out of balance. not a lot of "wrapper flavor" in my opinion.

I did eat a steak before firing this one up. I thought that this cigar would be able to stand up to that full meal though. That had nothing to do with the draw and smoke output issues.

I actually did chuck this thing a bit early, just a few minutes after I took the huge band off. I got a call from work and had to go back inside and work for a bit.
    I wasnt super sad to see this one go

Id say I smoked this for about 50 minutes and could have gotten another 25 or so out of it. I just have a feeling that this is going to shine in the Lonsdale and robusto size.

Even in this vitola it has a very unique aftertaste.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I had my 2nd Virtue on 5/2/10. This one was far superior than the first one and I suspect the first one was a bad stick. This was a well packed vitola that produced much smoke and had a hint of resistance on the draw. The burn was near perfect and the flavor was much more pronounced and complex. I am not a big flavors guy but there was definitely some creamy leather working in this one. Also I thought the body was much bolder than the first and packed some punch. A solid medium on body. The burn was long and cool with the flavors changing several times. This stick had a nice long aftertaste and was very enjoyable. It reminded more of why I love the other MOW blends.
    I'm always late to the party that's for sure. I didn't try a ruination till months after everyone else did. Well glad you guy's are liking this baby. I for one have grown to like MOW's. I use to not like the regular but now I dig it. The ruination I really enjoy. I'm hoping to like this one too.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I need to give this a shot also. You got me interested with your description fla-gypsy. Changing flavors, bold body, and long aftertaste. Sounds great.

This is also one of the Beard's top five at the moment.
    Im thinking there is a big difference in the vitolas and how they taste! Ive only had two, but with differents results.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Im thinking there is a big difference in the vitolas and how they taste! Ive only had two, but with differents results.
    This is a very good possibility.
    Just smoked a Virtue churchill with about a month or two of rest on it - very good IMO, probably one of my favorites. It smoked a good bit smoother than it did when it first came off the truck - much smoother, and the body only started coming up on me about 2/3 of the way into it, and even then it was a nice mild body. The effect was that I enjoyed the entire stick immensely - I got to smoke a nice smooth MOW, and in the last 1/3, the body crept up on me only a little, so that by the time I put it down, I was really relaxed, but without the jitters that nicotine usually causes.

Definitely a cigar I'll be buying a box or two of once the MOW promo comes out

EDIT - to add to what others have said, the vitola's make a big difference with this cigar - the smaller ring gauges give a more full-flavored experience, while the larger ring gauges give the same flavors, just not as intense/they're more muted (which is exactly what I like)

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Had one of these at a bbq yesterday... all in all I thought it was fairly bland. After reading the reviews I'll wait a few weeks and smoke the other one I have hopefully with different results.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I finally tried out the churchill last week. It was plugged and I got sick of trying to mess with it so I laid it down after about an inch. Of my first 6 pack half the sticks had construction issues, usually very plugged, and the other half were actually smokeable. I liked the robusto, but the figurado, and the londsdale were a bit boring. I've got a second six pack that's been resting since they came out, but I'm not in a super big hurry to try them out anymore. I'll give it another shot eventually. I don't think I'm really looking for what this stick offers anyway. It's kind of in the same class as the Edge Lite. A strong connie that I have to be in the mood for.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Midway through my first one (picked em up on the DD a couple of weeks ago-robusto) and so far I am impressed. Beautiful construction, perfect draw, great burn. Picking up some creamy cocoa flavors along with some leather. Nice mild smoke. Love the Ruination-this one is good, but less of a committment.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    smoked my first one. i got them on the DD and let them sit in the humi. this is a great dessert smoke. had it after a great dinner ( was catered and had 8 courses from around the world). after the dinner went out and sat on a balcony that over looks the las vegas strip. and the Virtue didnt fail. it burned great...tasted great.....probably my new favorite stick when i am looking for a mild to med.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Hmmm, gonna have to try these.