Home Cigar 101

Dropping humidity

I just seasoned my new humidor, installed my humidification device, calibrated my hygrometer and installed it also. My RH is reading at a constant 81% so how do i get it to drop?? It's an empty humidor i have a digital hygrometer and just a normal humidification device. (Plastic casing around florists foam)

Comments

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I would just give it a couple of days... As the cedar soaks up some of the moisture it should drop and regulate itself... If you don't see a chance in a day or so then maybe just pop it open for an hour or so... Or as an alternative get some beads and use those... The cheap humidifiers work, but they aren't the best by any means...
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    The two times that I have seasoned a humidor, the RH dropped after I added sticks to the humidor. I don't know if this is a normal occurance or not but it happened both times for me. Just a thought...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well yeah, cigars will absorb excess humidity to an equilibrium point, so try throwing some cigars in there and see if it balances out. And think about looking into some beads or something a little more reliable than the mean, green humidifying thing.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    ISTM, though, that if your cigars are at a good RH before you put them in the humi, you don't want them absorbing any excess humidity. You want, for example, your 67% RH cigars to go into a 67% RH humi, in which case the RH should stay 67%.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Good point. I was assuming each cigar would absorb a trivial amount of humidity, thus making the excess in each cigar within acceptable bounds, but a good point indeed.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'd leave it open for a couple hours, then load it up with sticks and put in your uncharged beads and leave it for an hour or so. If it's still running a little high, keep it open for another couple hours with the sticks still in it. Then shut for an hour or so, and repeat. Assuming your ambient humidity is 65% or below, you'll get there. The sticks should be fine in this process.
  • la-henryla-henry Posts: 74
    What humidity beads are we talking about?? Where can i get them? Do i have to put them into a container or can i crack open the regular humidification device and throw em in there or what??
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Do a google search for "heartfelt industries". They sell 60%, 65%, and 70% beads. They sell them in tubes and also loose depending on how much you want to pick up. Lots of people on this site swear by them.