Home Cigar 101

What do you do with a new order of cigars?

I want to know what the experienced crowd does as soon as they get their order in the mail?

Do you smoke 'em?

Do you let them rest?
If so, how long?

Do you freeze them?

What else should or can us inexperienced BOTL do to enjoy the ordering / smoking experience?

I am just trying to enjoy it as much as possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Up to you buddy, simple as that. What do you want to do with the cigars? Do you want to smoke them? Age them? Rest them for a few weeks? Here's the thing, preference trumps experience, whether you've had 20 cigars or 2000 you have an idea of what you like and what you'd like to do.

Now, having said that, I will generally try to put my cigars away for at least a few weeks, but sometimes, ok most times, temptation gets the better of me and I smoke one within a couple days. Sometimes the cigar is fine, sometimes I wish I had rested it, fortunately I buy at least two of everything so I have one to put away.

If you want to enjoy as much as possible, then here is my advice to you. What you mentioned in the first part of your post, forget about it, don't even worry about it. You will come to find if you like a cigar fresh or with some time on it, how smoking a fresh one compares to a rested one and how smoking a rested one compares with an aged one. But there is no need to try and do that all at once, take your time and just kick back, light one up and enjoy.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's the best advice.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    What Joe said! I personally try to let them rest at least two weeks but if I'm excited about a particular cigar, I've been known to smoke it right out of the ccom bag.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I gotta go with the masses here, but also state that this is exactly why the 5 pack is such a great idea. Find a cigar you like, grab a 5er, smoke one right away, one a month later, etc. This way you get the feel of that individual cigar and how it changes over time. You might find some that you love right out of the box, and others that you'd rather be patient and let them age a bit.
  • SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Does anyone freeze them first?
    I can't get my humidor below 75 degrees here in the summer time.
    I suspect, I won't be able to get my humidor above 66 degrees in the winter time too.
    Sac, I wouldn't worry about 75* it'll be ok as long as the RH is staying down around 70% you shouldn't need to worry about beetles.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The first thing I do is take them out of their bags and their cellophane, and throw them in a huge pile on the bed... then I get naked and roll around in the pile, screaming and giggling... after I am exhausted I fall asleep fondling my favorite of the lot. When I wake up, I pick them up one by one, smell it, lick it, and shove it up my nose for five seconds. Then I neatly pack them all back into their cellophane and put them in the "to be passed in games and bombs" tupperdor.
    Do you get many headaches?
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    The first thing I do is take them out of their bags and their cellophane, and throw them in a huge pile on the bed... then I get naked and roll around in the pile, screaming and giggling... after I am exhausted I fall asleep fondling my favorite of the lot. When I wake up, I pick them up one by one, smell it, lick it, and shove it up my nose for five seconds. Then I neatly pack them all back into their cellophane and put them in the "to be passed in games and bombs" tupperdor.

That certainly could have went in a whole different and MUCH worse direction...
    urbino:
    All of that and this is what you come up with? headaches? I was going to ask about chafing.
    rusirius:
    dutyje:

It almost did.. but upon first edit, I felt the post went too far in the direction of lasabar :)

Besides, even though they only ended up in my nose, they still got Duty on them
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    All of that and this is what you come up with? headaches? I was going to ask about chafing.
    I wasn't really thinking of headaches caused by the activities described. Headaches caused by the mental illness that leads to the activities described, was more what I had in mind.
    Crazy? I was crazy once.. they locked me up in a round room.. but I can't think without corners, so I dug a square hole. Then the worms came... The worms crawl all over me and make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once.. they locked me up in a round room.. but I can't think without corners, so I dug a square hole. Then the worms came... The worms crawl all over me and make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once.. they locked me up in a round room.. but I can't think without corners, so I dug a square hole. Then the worms came... The worms crawl all over me and make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once.. they locked me up in a round room.. but I can't think without corners, so I dug a square hole. Then the worms came... The worms crawl all over me and make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once.. they locked me up in a round room.. but I can't think without corners, so I dug a square hole. Then the worms came... The worms crawl all over me and make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once.. they locked me up in a round room.. but I can't think without corners, so I dug a square hole. Then the worms came... The worms crawl all over me and make me crazy. Crazy?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Umm...All work and no cigars make Duty a dull boy. Whatever you're smoking, can you include it in the next fun and games?
    I don't want to violate any federal laws
  • SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Wow, I miss 10 seconds and I miss the world...
  • I almost never smoke one right away, unless the urge is far too strong :-) When I get a box, I usually take 5 and set them off to the side. These I usually let age in a smaller humi for up to a year. The remainder of the box will rest for two or three weeks before smoking. It is easier to do something like this once you build up a small reserve of cigars. Take care, Bob
    Yes, building up that reserve is the key. It takes time. Or splurging.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Or splurging over time, which is what I do. No self control and a cooler full of cigars to show for it.... it is amazing I'm not up to my eyes in debt.
    Yes. Or that.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296

If I am ordering a box I usually smoke one or two max then let them age.  I got the 2004 and 2005 release of God of Fire last year in May and I haven't smoked one since.  I also have two Don Carlos #2's that have been aging since 2006 and a few other ones.  If it is something new that ccom sends me then I may smoke it immediately. 

Lets just say I am not always that consistent myself!

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    dutyje:

It almost did.. but upon first edit, I felt the post went too far in the direction of lasabar :)

Besides, even though they only ended up in my nose, they still got Duty on them
    Yeah, my direction would've been different, not much for details now... but let me just say one word.

"Dwarven/Drunken/Sad-Clown/Vaselined/Bi-polar/Stripper"
    Does your girlfriend know you've got this stuff in yer head?
    Lasabar:
    Bi-polar/Stripper"
    Is that a stripper who dances on two poles at once? Cuz that's gotta be tough when your drunk and Vaselined.
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Bi-polar/Stripper"
    Is that a stripper who dances on two poles at once? Cuz that's gotta be tough when your drunk and VaselinedAND A DWARVE.
    Couple of things that are pretty cool though...

If your not into midgets, then the Clown aspect will at least make you laugh (unless she's a sad clown, then it takes on that whole Cirque-de-soleil thingy and nobody likes that)

and TWO the lap dances take on a whole new meaning (Kinda takes on a Marionette/Ventriloquist thing... not that Hot, but different)
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    dutyje:
    then I get naked and roll around in the pile, screaming and giggling...
    ... I don't think I want to be your cigar.com mooch! At least until I forget about this thread!
    Here's a freindly bump of the thread....

Just so Zoom can be reminded :)
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Bi-polar/Stripper"
    First I believe his girlfriend perpetuates his sickness. Just look at the pic of her in his avi, shes giving him the mind control eyes.

Second I believe our friend Lassy spends way too much time alone with Dave Atell. Lassy may have been the confused young man in Atell's routines.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Bi-polar/Stripper"
    First I believe his girlfriend perpetuates his sickness. Just look at the pic of her in his avi, shes giving him the mind control eyes.

Second I believe our friend Lassy spends way too much time alone with Dave Atell. Lassy may have been the confused young man in Atell's routines.
    Nope, that was me... Smile [:)]
    rusirius:
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Bi-polar/Stripper"

Nope, that was me... Smile [:)]
    "YOU need a Cigarette"