Home Cigar 101

RP Observation

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
So i was thumbin thru my new ccom catalog and saw the RP 90's now have a black band vice the burgundy band. Anyone know anything about this? Age diffrence...blend...ran out of burgundy paper? :) Senor Svenson?

Comments

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I noticed this a couple weeks ago actually...really caught me off guard. Did some digging around, and so far the conclusion is that they're slowly switching up the bands so as to differentiate between the '92 and '90 (if you recall, the '99 has a white label)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Jetmech_63:
    So i was thumbin thru my new ccom catalog and saw the RP 90's now have a black band vice the burgundy band. Anyone know anything about this? Age diffrence...blend...ran out of burgundy paper? :) Senor Svenson?
    Noticed this about three months ago. Buddy sent me one, and it had black bands. Didn't really think much about it, same as I did when the Ruination bands were changed. Just a way to differentiate the two more easily to consumers?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I noticed this a few months ago when my local B&M got a new shipment in for 92's. To me, this only means that the maroon label 92's might end up a well aged, hard to find treat at some point.

"Long ashes my friends."

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Youre all on the right track. I talked to Rocky at a local event and asked him this question (of course he lied to me about another question, but thats not here or there) and he stated it was simply a way to differentiate the brands better and make each a little more unique------ no change in blend or anything of the like.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Youre all on the right track. I talked to Rocky at a local event and asked him this question (of course he lied to me about another question, but thats not here or there) and he stated it was simply a way to differentiate the brands better and make each a little more unique------ no change in blend or anything of the like.

I was told this same thing by two different B&M owners, but I was also told that the black banded '92 is a "reblended release" of the "same" cigar. That's why they taste so different from the older, burgundy-banded ones. I'm pretty sure this was discussed in a thread around the same time they started putting the black bands on, and this also explains why the Vintage '92 was only available in limited numbers during that time period. I'll try and dig it up, but...

I'll need to consult my B&M owner about this; he was one of the several people telling me about it. I'm glad this came up too, I was casting around for a reason to go to the shop tomorrow.

Kuzi might know specifics, his shop owner was explaining it to me as well.

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Vulchor:
    (of course he lied to me about another question, but thats not here or there)
    Wait . . . wut? What'd he lie about? You can't jsut throw that out there and leave us hanging - curiosity has been aroused!!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Vulchor:
    Wait . . . wut? What'd he lie about? You can't jsut throw that out there and leave us hanging - curiosity has been aroused!!
    Right! I was thinking the same thing! What did he lie about????
    clearlysuspect:
    xmacro:
    Vulchor:
    If I remember correctly I think RP lied to him about the RP Renn and Edge Sumatra not being the same cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    clearlysuspect:
    xmacro:
    Vulchor:
    If I remember correctly I think RP lied to him about the RP Renn and Edge Sumatra not being the same cigar.
    I do believe you're correct Krieg - I remember a conversation on here that had discussed this, and eventually linked to a video of Rocky touting the Rennaissance as the re-release of the Edge Sumatra.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hays:
    Krieg:
    clearlysuspect:
    xmacro:
    Vulchor:
    I do believe you're correct Krieg - I remember a conversation on here that had discussed this, and eventually linked to a video of Rocky touting the Rennaissance as the re-release of the Edge Sumatra.
    God this link never gets old lol....
    LINK

I see that I recalled correctly.... Is it just me, or does Rocky seem kinda like a douche in that video?

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hays:
    I see that I recalled correctly.... Is it just me, or does Rocky seem kinda like a douche... .
    Fixed it....

Hays:
    I see that I recalled correctly.... Is it just me, or does Rocky seem kinda like a douche in that video?
    That's the impression I get too...I also got the impression RP is kinda like the car salesman of the cigar industry...might have a few good sticks out there...but sells more crap sticks than I can count and not to mention I really don't believe anything he says now since this RP Renn and Edge Sumatra nonsense.

"Long ashes my friends."