Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor Help

BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
Ive had my humidor for about 2 years. Its a 25 count called the executive desktop humidor from a humidor site online. Anyways, I have 25 cigars in it. I have a humi jar from ccom, brand new. Anyways, I cant get the humidity to get to 70%. I seasoned it 2 years ao and it was fine, I thought it needed a new humidification device, but its not helping. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your seal might be compromised. Have you performed the dollar bill test? If you want to keep using your humi, go to the store and try to find some of that foam tape and put it around the rim of your humi. Should fix it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Are you using a digital hygro? If so, have you calibrated it?
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    You might also need to re-season the humidor again.
  • Options
    I've never done the dollar bill test, ill look it up and try it. I tested the calibration on the hydrogemeter. Got 70% on the dot (salt in lid with water in a bag) I tried to re-season it last week, didn't help. Anyways, I may try out the tape. I bet the seal is broken.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    BFGarner:
    I've never done the dollar bill test, ill look it up and try it. I tested the calibration on the hydrogemeter. Got 70% on the dot (salt in lid with water in a bag) I tried to re-season it last week, didn't help. Anyways, I may try out the tape. I bet the seal is broken.
    Dollar bill test is simple. Place a dollar half in/half out of the humidor and close the lid. If you can easily slide the dollar out, the seal is busted. If it has good friction, then seal is fine.

On another note, the salt test should set the hygrometer to 75%, so if your's went to 70%, you're about 5% low. So add 5% to the humidity.
  • Options
    Crap 75%! Memory is fading at 27 years old. Im gonna do the dollar test when I get home. Adding 5 puts me closer to where I want to be, I may take some cigars out and not keep it at the full 25 count.