Home Cigar 101

Graduating to Full Bodied Cigars

I did some looking around and I didn't see anything regarding my question. I'm sorry if it's been asked and answered before.

So I tried a full bodied cigar last week and it was a lot more than I could handle. I had a nice meal before hand, but I still had to quit about half way through it because it was a lot stronger than I was use to.

I've so far stuck to mild and medium cigars and I guess I'll be sticking to them for a while, but I was wondering how long was it before you guys "graduated" to smoking full bodies cigars?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The first real cigar I smoked was a Sancho Panza Double Maduro, and I kept smoking cigars for a few weeks, just basically grabbing randoms from a local B&M, so I smoked some pretty full bodied cigars within the first week of my smoking. I think "strength" is a bit overblown on the internet sometimes. Don't smoke on an empty stomach. But the idea that you have to gradually build up to being able to smoke fuller cigars is a bunch of bupkus as far as I'm concerned.
  • bocardsbocards Posts: 32
    I usually buy the deals here...I like a variety of cigars and I guess in my ignorance I was smoking full, medium and mild from the start...I now try to smoke mild in the morning, a medium at lunch and a full after dinner ! :) Just my thoughts !
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I wouldn't be too concerned about "graduating" to full bodied sticks. Cigars are something we enjoy and find pleasure in. People have different taste, some like full bodied some don't. If you never enjoy full body cigars and you stick with a mild or med taste your whole life there is nothing wrong with that. Typically I think most people move to a fuller body or stronger smoke over time, but I know several BOTL that only smoke med cigars and have for decades, because thats what they enjoy. Remember this is not a race or a competition. Sit back and enjoy those med. cigars my friend. Hope I didn't misunderstand your question. Incidently I think I tried full bodied cigars soon after starting but I didn't enjoy them till years later. Its not something that happened overnight or over one particular stick, just over time my pallet changed, and it still does. I find my self enjoying cigars I didn't like before and vice versa.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    The first 2 real cigars I ever smoked were within hours of each other and the second was an El Cobre which is a pretty darn full bodied stick. I was fine, in fact the El Cobre to this day is probably my #1 fav stick. I have found that many sticks that affect others a lot don't affect me much at all. On the other hand, some "medium" sticks will hit me harder. I'm learning that strength can be subjective.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Stryker808:
    I wouldn't be too concerned about "graduating" to full bodied sticks. Cigars are something we enjoy and find pleasure in. People have different taste, some like full bodied some don't. If you never enjoy full body cigars and you stick with a mild or med taste your whole life there is nothing wrong with that. Typically I think most people move to a fuller body or stronger smoke over time, but I know several BOTL that only smoke med cigars and have for decades, because thats what they enjoy. Remember this is not a race or a competition. Sit back and enjoy those med. cigars my friend. Hope I didn't misunderstand your question. Incidently I think I tried full bodied cigars soon after starting but I didn't enjoy them till years later. Its not something that happened overnight or over one particular stick, just over time my pallet changed, and it still does. I find my self enjoying cigars I didn't like before and vice versa.
    Agreed. Try as many cigars as you can and stick with what you enjoy. Don't worry about body, wrapper, brand, etc.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Stryker808:
    Agreed. Try as many cigars as you can and stick with what you enjoy. Don't worry about body, wrapper, brand, etc.
    I agree too! I never really thought of it actually but I started off with medium to full cigars. I wouldn't worry too much about "full" body cigars, just smoke what your comfortable with. Also try to smoke the fuller smokes slower and even have some sugar with them, like maybe a coke or something along those lines. Might help.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    phobicsquirrel:
    sightunseen:
    Stryker808:
    I agree too! I never really thought of it actually but I started off with medium to full cigars. I wouldn't worry too much about "full" body cigars, just smoke what your comfortable with. Also try to smoke the fuller smokes slower and even have some sugar with them, like maybe a coke or something along those lines. Might help.
    Great advice from everyone. I would also add that Ive been smoking for quite a while now, and still find myself going thru "moods"... for example, Ive been in smoking milds & connecticut wrappers almost exclusively for a few weeks, because thats what is sounding and tasting good to me NOW. Next week, who knows?

Cigars should be what YOU enjoy stick to stick, and not about being able to wave the man card around because you smoke a particular wrapper and / or body. The people who try to make you feel that way are first cousins to the "label snobs" who will look down their noses at you because you're smoking a $X cigar when they're smoking a $20 cigar. All comes down to this - make you happy, and let the rest of the world worry about the rest of the world.

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1 here.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I remember getting back into cigars and starting to smoke Cuban Classics from DPG. I didn't realize how full bodied they were, but it was a personal favorite at the time. It is still one of the more full-bodied smokes to me, and it still kicks my butt if I don't grab a good meal before hand.

Smoke a wide variety and figure out what your favorites are! Sure, I've set down some pretty awesome smokes here and there cause they were too strong, but that's alright. You'll smoke some awesome stuff!
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    TatuajeVI:

Smoke a wide variety and figure out what your favorites are! Sure, I've set down some pretty awesome smokes here and there cause they were too strong, but that's alright. You'll smoke some awesome stuff!
    This is the best advice. I have found that for me there are days when a full bodied cigar is exactly what I am looking for and other days when the same cigar drops me like a sack of bricks. Dont be turned off just because a cigar is full bodied. You might miss out on an amazing cigar.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Just let your mood and demeanor tell you what is right for the day. You will tune in to what will be enjoyable over time.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started off with a real Cuban and ordered a sampler which contained a huge variety. At first I really liked mild cigars and now I can't stand them. When I started I was smoking a huge variety because I had no idea what I was doing. I had no problems with handling the full cigars but I have had my butt kicked a few times recently after years of smoking cigars.

Basically there is no set determination as to what you will like or when you will start to like a certain thing. Try lots of things. Come on here and ask guys if I like this cigar what else do you recommend. Try sampler packs of everything and figure out what you enjoy. Trade the ones you don't care for. Just have fun.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I wouldnt worry about graduating to fuller bodied cigars.
    If you enjoy mild, enjoy them
    If you enjoy medium, enjoy them
    I would only move onto full bodied when you are ready. You also need to build up some tolerance IMHO.
    Up here in Boston there is pretty much a smoking season for me. If I start the year off with a full bodied cigar I am in trouble.
    I feel that I need to 'prime the pump' with a few mild/med before smoking full bodied cigars.

So basically dont worry about it, enjoy what your smoking.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man I've been enjoying cigars since last fall... and still don't really seek out anything more than a medium.
    I don't like the nicotine buzz...

• It's not that anyone is pressuring me to smoke full bodied cigars. It's more that I hear people talking about how good a certain cigar is and I want to try it. I've been smoking Oliva Serie G and I really like them. But I hear everyone raving about Serie V so I want to try them too.

The problem is that I can't seem to handle full bodied cigars and don't want to only smoke half of it or even less. It just seems like a waste of a good cigar.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That is a waste. Just be patient and your body will let you know what you can handle. Each person is different due to their size, smoking frequency, etc. They'll always be there, just enjoy the ones you have now. I've turned green before, it's not fun and it's not worth it.
  • bsjones7bsjones7 Posts: 15
    I can wake up and head out the door with a Lfd double ligero chisel on an empty stomach. It's really all about flavors n moods. So don't worry. Just stick with what u like. After all it's ur $ buying em
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bsjones7:
    I can wake up and head out the door with a Lfd double ligero chisel on an empty stomach. It's really all about flavors n moods. So don't worry. Just stick with what u like. After all it's ur $ buying em
    lol me too! I love me a opus **** with coffee on a sunday!
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Like everyone else said, really depends on my mood. Lately the mild just don't do it for me. Get me out of the stress of life and out on the boat with nice weather. I'll be lighting a nice mellow mild-medium. I'm new to cigars and just smoke whatever I can get my hands on. I have even tried highly "rated" cigars that I disliked so much I just stopped smoking. Best of luck finding what you enjoy. Thats all that matters
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i started 3-4 months ago with some mild sticks my local b&m recommended and loved them. started with a camacho conneticut churchill and it was great. month later or so i was smoking 5-Vegas 'AAA'. i know thats a full body stick. it didn't even phase me even on empty stomach. i also smoke cigarettes so that may contribute to the nicotine not affecting me as much. like everyone has said though, cigars are meant to enjoy. who cares what you smoke when. its about what you like and thats all. hope this helps
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    gdsim1:
    phobicsquirrel:
    sightunseen:
    Stryker808:
    Great advice from everyone. I would also add that Ive been smoking for quite a while now, and still find myself going thru "moods"... for example, Ive been in smoking milds & connecticut wrappers almost exclusively for a few weeks, because thats what is sounding and tasting good to me NOW. Next week, who knows?

Cigars should be what YOU enjoy stick to stick, and not about being able to wave the man card around because you smoke a particular wrapper and / or body. The people who try to make you feel that way are first cousins to the "label snobs" who will look down their noses at you because you're smoking a $X cigar when they're smoking a $20 cigar. All comes down to this - make you happy, and let the rest of the world worry about the rest of the world.

+1 to all this
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Alot of times I have found that sticks that are poor burning, or if I smoke while I am little anxious, or smokes in an poorly ventilated room can make me feel sick, even though I have handled the fullest of bodied smokes before. My advice to you is to keep trying if you want to, and make sure you don't always blame the cigar for making you a little ill. Most times the smoker is to blame. Go textbook smoke. Puff only once per minute. Drink something light and refreshing. Smoke in a well ventilated area. Draw nice and slow and even. relax and have fun!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    bsjones7:
    generally speaking im on board with this too. some days though, if my stomach is already screaming for food, i cant do that.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    bsjones7:
    generally speaking im on board with this too. some days though, if my stomach is already screaming for food, i cant do that.

I am not. I cannot handle super full bodied cigars without a nice full belly.

Sometimes even with a nice full belly, I have trouble with them.