Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidity and temp question

OrangeOrange Posts: 18

I just started into cigars with my buddy smokinsherlock and he is helping me a lot but I was just sitting around tonight and wondering about beetles and mold.

I live in the southeast so it is naturally humid in this area most times. I just opened my humidor (40 count) and it was 70 degrees and 67 RH. I have been using the foam puck that came with the humidor.

After reading several threads linking my type of humidifier to mold I bought 2 of the 72RH Boveda humidity pack and just placed them inside.

So do you think 72 is too humid for my area? the bags say it will keep it anywhere from 1 to 4 points lower than stated humidity.

Also are beetles just a temp problem at 75+?

For the record I us some celo some naked and it does smell good when i open it up.

Comments

• Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    Orange:

I just started into cigars with my buddy smokinsherlock and he is helping me a lot but I was just sitting around tonight and wondering about beetles and mold.

I live in the southeast so it is naturally humid in this area most times. I just opened my humidor (40 count) and it was 70 degrees and 67 RH. I have been using the foam puck that came with the humidor.

After reading several threads linking my type of humidifier to mold I bought 2 of the 72RH Boveda humidity pack and just placed them inside.

So do you think 72 is too humid for my area? the bags say it will keep it anywhere from 1 to 4 points lower than stated humidity.

Also are beetles just a temp problem at 75+?

For the record I us some celo some naked and it does smell good when i open it up.

The packs are good, especially for limited space. I am in Houston and it is a constant fight to try and keep my temp down. But a lot of the fellas on here have said if you buy your sticks from good places you really shouldn’t have too much to worry about as far a the beetles are concerned. As for the 72%RH packs, it all depends what your humi is actually holding at. I choose to keep mine anywhere from 65%-67%. I feel I get a better burn and more flavors peek through, at least for me. But like most of the guys will say, its all about your taste. If you like your sticks at the higher end of the RH spectrum, and they burn fine and taste fine to you...then you cant be wrong. Personal preference is the name of the game here.
  • Options
    OrangeOrange Posts: 18
    Thanks buddy. I'll try these bovedas out for now. It's fun to find out your preferences.