Home Cigar 101

Age a cigar

rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
So I want to age a few sticks. Can I just set aside a shelf in my humi, or do I need to do something with them.

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Just let them sit there, not much more to it!
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Kuzi has a nice thread for that, I believe... Look up his profile. It would be great if you can get one of those $20 20-count humis and keep your cigars there. Generally - you can keep them at a higher humidity and even out of the cellophane if you are aging them. Preferably out of the cello...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    Kuzi has a nice thread for that, I believe... Look up his profile. It would be great if you can get one of those $20 20-count humis and keep your cigars there. Generally - you can keep them at a higher humidity and even out of the cellophane if you are aging them. Preferably out of the cello...
    I think it depends on how many years your planning on. A higher RH will age them faster, though a lower RH will let them age slower. I've heard 55 or 60 for aging cigars for a good period of time. I have a 25 count that I have several opus's, GOF"s, Anejo's and some other cigars that sits at 55. I plan on smoking them in about 4 years, that would give them about 6 years.
    55? Isn't that a bit too low. I'd be interested to see what others say as well... But I do agree - the higher, the quicker it seems....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    Kuzi has a nice thread for that, I believe... Look up his profile.
    no but age is something that i seem to talk about a lot.

if you want you can search through my posts using the search button and the key words would be "rest" "age" "fresh" "aging" and maybe "tubo"
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:

if you want you can search through my posts using the search button and the key words would be "rest" "age" "fresh" "aging" and maybe "tubo"
    Oh yeah - now I see the link in your sig was about blending... Sorry... But yeah - you do talk a lot about aging! You talk a lot about everything ;) :P!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Besides the RH another big difference between resting a stick in your humi and aging one in a dedicated aging humi is how often you open the humi. Constantly opening a humi (like your every day smoking humi) isn't as good as having an ager that more or less stays closed for long periods of time and doesn't get constantly new air.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I actually have a 75-100 count humidor set up for my "aging humidor." I keep it at about 72% humidity and it stays in a very cool dark place, at the bottom of my bedroom closet. I only check it every couple weeks to check the humidity and make sure it looks good. I have several Opus in there, Padron 26 maduro, Padron 80 Year maduro, Anejos, Fuente Aniv, Opus X Lost City, several Decades, a few ISOM's, Tatuaje Drac, Tat Boris, and several other more rare Fuentes and Tats and some I probably don't even remember. But the humidor is now stuffed full!
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:

Oh yeah - now I see the link in your sig was about blending... Sorry... But yeah - you do talk a lot about aging! You talk a lot about everything ;) :P!
    Hence his post count image
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    Renaissance_Man:
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:

Hence his post count image
    fo' real though...
  • CNafzCNafz Posts: 1
    Hello, New guy here, I got into cigars while I was down in Mexico (4 years) and was able to get Havana's

Not really up on the care and feeding of cigars yet but I'm paying attention to what everyone here is saying.

I never thought about the aging issue until today. About 4 weeks ago I smoked my last contra-ban Macanudo that had been 'stored' for about 6 months. I could not believe how great it tasted! I thought I just got a particularly good one and felt that it was a great way to end that collection yet sad that it was my last one.

I think I will pick up some more from here once my Humidor is finished settling in and as mentioned use my small one to do some aging!!

Great site, !
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    CNafz:
    Hello, New guy here, I got into cigars while I was down in Mexico (4 years) and was able to get Havana's

Not really up on the care and feeding of cigars yet but I'm paying attention to what everyone here is saying.

I never thought about the aging issue until today. About 4 weeks ago I smoked my last contra-ban Macanudo that had been 'stored' for about 6 months. I could not believe how great it tasted! I thought I just got a particularly good one and felt that it was a great way to end that collection yet sad that it was my last one.

I think I will pick up some more from here once my Humidor is finished settling in and as mentioned use my small one to do some aging!!

Great site, !
    Welcome aboard and glad to see you posting. Good bunch of leaf brothers here.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Just do what I do, buy more cigars that you can actually smoke and have to age the by default.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    undulac:
    Just do what I do, buy more cigars that you can actually smoke and have to age the by default.
    That's not difficult with CCOM Daily Deals to tempt us !