Home Cigar 101

Homemade Humidor

Hey guys, this feels like potentially stupid question - but would a cookie tin lined with cigar box cedar be ok for use as a humidor? Are there any problems with the metal fouling the cigars as anyone knows? Thanks!

Comments

• GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I'm no expert, in fact I'm no veteran or even an amateur... But I would ASSUME that metal wouldn't be a good idea because the seams where the corners come together probably isn't as perfect as it could be, and making that tin humidified could cause the corners to rust...

I wouldn't want my cigars smelling/tasting like rust... but that's probably something that is easy to catch and avoid happening. For a temp humidor I would totally say it's worth trying, and I'd try it myself. But as a permanent thing I would be concerned.

If I were you, I'd skip the hassle, and find a friend with an igloo cooler that he'll sell you for a couple bucks, and convert that into your humi ;-)
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I'll second that, rust would almost certainly be an issue at some point due to the high humidy inside. Although I have a couple of little 'leatherette' cigar travellers I was thinking of doing the same thing to, at the moment I am using them as additional storage (without an internal cedar lining) and have a couple of humi pillows inside each but they can't keep the RH anywhere near 70% it's more like 59-60, fortunately I should get my bigger humi by Friday and can stop using them. But do still want to try the cedar lining thing to see if that helps them stay closer to 70%. Anyway back to topic, I called ccom a few weeks ago and Jeff (i think it was he) very helpfully suggested the igloo 'coolador' idea, I've also noticed a lot of posts about this type of thing. They hold a phenominal number of sticks (if you get a big enough one ;) ), you can keep them boxed, if you want to; and, if you're down here in the south where the temp is high and the RH fluctuates wildly the insulatiion and seals help keep the internal temp and RH very stable.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    On the cheap go with Tupperware if needed. Otherwise, pick up one of those samplers that come with a free 20ct humi. That will work for starters. However, my recommendation is to drop the cash on a 100ct. min. youll fill it in no time. trust me. Tin cans for humis don't sound good.
  • CopSniperCopSniper Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input. I ended up finding a tupperware type box ($2.50) which was the perfect size and shape to put a cigar box I already owned inside of, with enough room for one or two humidifer elements. And little distilled water for seasoning, a little propolyne-glycole in some floral foam, and viola! A Humidor for less than $5.00!
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Beware the foam, it puts you on the fast track to mold.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    trust me you will want a bigger one very very soon. started with a ten ct herfer then got angry lol cause i couldn't get anymore when it was full. got a 100 ct and still regretting it because it is almost full. get either a coolerdor or a 500-600 ct. i would definitely get one if i had the money
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    aron325:
    trust me you will want a bigger one very very soon. started with a ten ct herfer then got angry lol cause i couldn't get anymore when it was full. got a 100 ct and still regretting it because it is almost full. get either a coolerdor or a 500-600 ct. i would definitely get one if i had the money
    then wait till you start getting boxes, oh my they add up quick...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    phobicsquirrel:
    aron325:
    then wait till you start getting boxes, oh my they add up quick...
    it all starts with a couple singles, and then come the daily deal 5-packs. next you're doing three-way box splits on a weekend blitz, and then all of a sudden you start buying full boxes for yourself.

Don't bother with a 20 count - you're going to end up filling it in a week or two if you have the available cash. Grab a decent 150 count, a few beads, and a digital hygrometer. :)
  • CopSniperCopSniper Posts: 3
    I appreciate all the feedback. I ended up springing for a few baseline humidifiers to make sure it worked right without mold. I will be saving up for a decent humi, soon enough. I started with a 10 ct humi, ran out of room, needed over-flow after going with a pair of five packs, and will be looking for more room soon enough. Ha! This is addictive!
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    48 quart Igloo cooler from wallmart, $19. 1 Pound of beads from bargainhumidors $17. Decent digital hygrometer from wallmart $8. Peace of mind with properly stored stogies, priceless. I started with a 60 count and quickly grew out of it. I now have 5 humi's full and 2 coolerdors packed, I started collecting late October 09. This stuff is addictive!