Home Cigar 101

problems with maduros

bobdbobd Posts: 71
I really enjoy maduro cigars, but sometimes I have trouble with keep the thick oily wrappers lit.  Any advice?  I am lighting incorrectly, does this just happen, more humi time??? thanks

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are keeping your RH at 70% then this has a tendency to happen. try keeping the RH at about65-68%. this tiny difference will have huge results on maduros.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    if you are keeping your RH at 70% then this has a tendency to happen. try keeping the RH at about65-68%. this tiny difference will have huge results on maduros.
    SO that's why mine have been burning perfectly as of recent! I was beating myself up for keeping the humidity lower than 70, but now I see it is paying off in another way... I have predominantly maduros in my humi...
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I have found the same issue with Maduros. I "dry box" the maduro sticks that tend to burn poorly. I use an empty 20 count humidor (an empty wooden cigar box works). Store the stick that you want to smoke in the empty 'un-humidified' box for anywhere from an hour to a full day. This will let the wrapper dry out just a little and allow it to burn better.

Do keep in mind that the cigar will not become too dry to smoke if it is stored on a box rather than left out on a counter. If you can get the humidity down in your humidor, that works....but if not, dry-box for a bit and it should work out fine.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    Big plus one. Nothing wrong with 70%, but keeping it a bit below really helps.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    I have found the same issue with Maduros. I "dry box" the maduro sticks that tend to burn poorly. I use an empty 20 count humidor (an empty wooden cigar box works). Store the stick that you want to smoke in the empty 'un-humidified' box for anywhere from an hour to a full day. This will let the wrapper dry out just a little and allow it to burn better.

Do keep in mind that the cigar will not become too dry to smoke if it is stored on a box rather than left out on a counter. If you can get the humidity down in your humidor, that works....but if not, dry-box for a bit and it should work out fine.

+1...... If you don't have a dry box, you can also put the stick in a zip-lock bag for a few hours. That way it'll stay fresh and dry just enough to enjoy.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    in all my experiences I can't say I've had a Maduro constantly go out, only time I have had that happen is when I'm smoking while playing Magic the Gathering since I tend to focus on what my enemies are doing more than I pay attention to my stick.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Send them all to me for analysis!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Send them all to me for analysis!
    +1 I can provide an unbiased opinion!
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Hayblet:
    in all my experiences I can't say I've had a Maduro constantly go out, only time I have had that happen is when I'm smoking while playing Magic the Gathering since I tend to focus on what my enemies are doing more than I pay attention to my stick.
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Though I have no room to name call, else Visara The Dreadful will tap and destroy me to teach me a lesson.