Home Cigar 101

Problem with hygrometer

Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys I recently purchased a new xikar hygrometer. I calibrated it with the boveda kit, after the 36 hour mark the hygrometer was at a perfect 75 RH. I pushed the calibration button while it being inside the bag and took it out. While I let it sit in the humidor after about 6-7 the humidity was reading at 90 RH. I don't know if it's deffected ir what. I just place a drymistat tube with it. I have a small 20 ct humidor with less than 20 sticks. Has anybody had this problem before? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    silly question, but is it possible that the hygrometer is infact correct and your humidity is actually at 90%?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Perhaps calibrating it while it was already perfect at 75% screwed it up somehow?
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's not actually 90% what do you recommend I should do in this situation?
    Test calibration again.
    What shouldn I do if this happens again eventhough it shows 75RH? Maybe my humidity is really at 90% I just placed a drymistat tube yesterday. I opened the lid just right now and the humidity is at 65% I ordered a tube of beads from heartfeltindustries but they won't be open until the 26th of May so I'm gonna have to wait.
    If you opened the lid just now and it's at 65% what is the issue?
    It's ok I was just wondering why it was so high I moved my humidor to another place I left the drymistat tube inside hope it stays at 65.
    Just give it some time and see what happens.
    Thanks Mrpillow how's the weather in houston?
    Not bad, we had the big storm come through Friday night but it's warmed up a little today. Not looking forward to summer!
    Yeah I hear you man I hate the summer heat.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Definitely calibrate the hygrometer again, just in case.

A 20 count humidor can be difficult to keep consistent because you don't have a lot of cedar and there aren't many cigars in there. Anytime you open up that lid, you lose a lot more of the overall humidity than say in a 100 count. The beads should help!
    Thanks for the advice I will try to calibrate it again.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    As others have suggested, drop it back in the bag and see what it reads, if you have another Hygrometer compare it to that too. I've had my share of Hygrometer calibration issues, too!
    Yeah I went ahead and place it back in the boveda bag it read 75% after 24 hours I place it back in humi seems to be working good at 65% and 74 degrees.