Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliveros XL Bold

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Since this is the Daily Deal today and I needed to get some reading done, I decided to head out to my cigar lounge (aka.... car) and light up one of these Oliveros XL Bold Toro.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a accurate taste for the first half of the cigar because my wife had me put these Glade air fresheners in the car so it wouldn't smell like cigars when we went out in town. Well these things made the car smell really good but also masked a lot of flavors. About 1/3 of the way through, I put them in a plastic bag in the glove compartment and the flavors really started to open up.

The second half of the cigar was mostly filled with leather and spice with the occasional hint of cocoa and coffee. I'd say that the flavors were pleasant and tastey but the cigar was mostly one-dimensional.

The burn was perfect and the first ash didn't fall off until 2 inches into the cigar, and I had to force it off for fear of it falling in my lap.

Again, I'll say that this is quite a bargain considering the price of this cigar, especially with the Daily Deal. It's certainly not as powerful as they advertise as I'd rate this somewhere between medium and full bodied. It's certainly no LFD Double Ligero or MoW Ruination, but it's got enough kick for the full bodied fan and a good balance of flavors.

Sorry I couldn't produce a better review on short notice but I hope this helps some of you decide whether to purchase this DD or not.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Thanks for that Phil. I don't think I've had the XL Bold, have only had one Oliveros cigar actually, but this sounds like a good cigar for when you just want to kick back and smoke a cigar without really thinking about it...good price, good quality. I'd grab a fiver if I had the room for them, my eyes are always open for a quality cigar that doesn't cost an arm or a leg.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    Thanks for that Phil. I don't think I've had the XL Bold, have only had one Oliveros cigar actually, but this sounds like a good cigar for when you just want to kick back and smoke a cigar without really thinking about it...good price, good quality. I'd grab a fiver if I had the room for them, my eyes are always open for a quality cigar that doesn't cost an arm or a leg.
    These are tasty sticks alright. They are not over the top strong, but I believe they advertize them as Oliveros most powerful stick. About the same body as a Sol Cubano Cuban Cab., good afternoon stick.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have tried them and thought they were good. I picked up 10 sticks on that deal.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I have tried them and thought they were good. I picked up 10 sticks on that deal.
    I picked up 10 as well. The one I did the review on was my last one, so I definately needed to restock.
    I have sparked a couple of the XL Bold that i got, both were very good as I remembered them. That was a good DD.
    Haven't lit any of my new ones up yet. I might let these sit for a while since I really like these on the golf course.
    fla-gypsy:
    I have sparked a couple of the XL Bold that i got, both were very good as I remembered them. That was a good DD.
    I got jealous and decided to light one of mine up yesterday. Always an enjoyable cigar. I don't think I'll ever get tired of these.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I was gifted one of these the other day and tried it out Sunday night. Man was this a great smoke! The ash didn't fall off until about an inch and a half the first time and over 2 the only other! Delicious, great burn and draw. After looking at the price on these they are def a great value! I am def gonna have to revisit this cigar!
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I really like these as well, I need to revisit soon as it's been a while, but the first one I had was awesome!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Since this is the Daily Deal today and I needed to get some reading done, I decided to head out to my cigar lounge (aka.... car) and light up one of these Oliveros XL Bold Toro.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a accurate taste for the first half of the cigar because my wife had me put these Glade air fresheners in the car so it wouldn't smell like cigars when we went out in town. Well these things made the car smell really good but also masked a lot of flavors. About 1/3 of the way through, I put them in a plastic bag in the glove compartment and the flavors really started to open up.

The second half of the cigar was mostly filled with leather and spice with the occasional hint of cocoa and coffee. I'd say that the flavors were pleasant and tastey but the cigar was mostly one-dimensional.

The burn was perfect and the first ash didn't fall off until 2 inches into the cigar, and I had to force it off for fear of it falling in my lap.

Again, I'll say that this is quite a bargain considering the price of this cigar, especially with the Daily Deal. It's certainly not as powerful as they advertise as I'd rate this somewhere between medium and full bodied. It's certainly no LFD Double Ligero or MoW Ruination, but it's got enough kick for the full bodied fan and a good balance of flavors.

Sorry I couldn't produce a better review on short notice but I hope this helps some of you decide whether to purchase this DD or not.
    So now that your car smells like cigars again is your wife gonna be pissed?? lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I was not impressed by this stick at all. I picked up a 5 pack sampler a while back and tried a few. I thought the XL Bold was pretty bland and not very "bold" at all. I only made it 1/3 before tossing it. The Il Padrino wasn't bad but the label took off most of the wrapper with it and there was a big crack near the foot. I tossed the rest of the sampler. But I think I paid $7 for 5 of these, so no big loss.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    These are one of my cheapo dailies, and I like them a lot - especially when you factor price in.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Oliveros is one of those brand I always wanted to try but never have...
    I guess I'll have to change that.

Krieg:
    So now that your car smells like cigars again is your wife gonna be pissed?? lol

Well, fortunately, I have a garage now in the new house and I don't have to smoke in the car anymore. But, it's my car that I paid for with my money so if I want to smoke a cigar in it, and I sometimes still do when I'm riding around town, then I do so without fear of sleeping on the couch. If she doesn't like it, she can always take her truck.
    stephen_hannibal:
    Oliveros is one of those brand I always wanted to try but never have...
    I guess I'll have to change that.

Hey Stephen,

I'd definately recommend trying any of the XL line. The Double Maduro and Double Corojo are both pretty good as well. I like keeping some of the El Padrino's lying around to give to friends because they have the biggest, fanciest bands imaginable on them and they always feel special when I give them one. Plus you can pick them up super cheap on auction. It's an alright smoke as well.
    I have been pleased with the XL line. The double corojo and the bold were good sticks for me.