Home General Discussion

don peppin garcia (corojo)

so I just ordered a massive ccom order (for me at least) and I got the don peppin garcia sampler, then I was reading the ccom catalouge and it said that the ccom label corojo is rolled at the peppin garcia factory. is this true? and if so are they secconds of some sort or what. I should have gotten one to see how they compared. people, let me know what you know about this. and as soon as I get that order i'll be on the pif forum waiting to mooch and be mooched.

Comments

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in, but yeah, in a way... Not seconds... Seconds are typically the EXACT same cigar they just don't pass QA for some reason... Blemishes in the wrapper, etc... The ccom house blends are a mixed fill cigar... So basically they most likely take the trimmings they cut off the DPG's, use some "non wrapper quality" leaves as the binder, and then I'm not sure about the wrapper... Possibly a different "Stash" of leaves for the wrappers, or hell they could even be the same ones... I haven't really taken the time to compare the wrapper of the two...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in, but yeah, in a way... Not seconds... Seconds are typically the EXACT same cigar they just don't pass QA for some reason... Blemishes in the wrapper, etc... The ccom house blends are a mixed fill cigar... So basically they most likely take the trimmings they cut off the DPG's, use some "non wrapper quality" leaves as the binder, and then I'm not sure about the wrapper... Possibly a different "Stash" of leaves for the wrappers, or hell they could even be the same ones... I haven't really taken the time to compare the wrapper of the two...
    Thats essentially it. They are the clippings from Pepins factory mixed with some full leaves and likely similar wrapper and binder as some of the DPG's
  • The previous answers are correct. If you search down the forum a bit you'll find a thread called the "Ccom sampler" or something like that. Alex S. actually posted a very well written reply in that thread explaining the process for making the ccom house blends and the differences between the labels. Quite interesting.

The Don Pepin sampler is wonderful. You have to be careful though comparing them to the ccom corojo. The JJ is rolled in Miami. The 5 Vegas and Cuban Classic (my favorite!) are rolled in Esteli. The best example of a cigar he rolls in Miami, in my opinion, is the Don Pepin (blue label), which is not in the sampler.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Can't go wrong with the DPG sampler. The Cuban Classic is now my favorite cigar (just ordered another box). The 5 Vegas Miami is also excellent. The blue label is also very good and is probably closer to the ccom corojo than the others.