Home Cigar 101

moldy/musty smell

I recently purchased a box of cigars and they smell like the crawlspace under my house (for real , just like that). They were a brazialian wrapper which I know is fermented but I am not sure if the smell is normal or if it is an underlying affect of perhaps mold inside of the cigars. There is no visible mold on them. The box they came in did not smell and I really only noticed the smell when I removed the cellophane from a couple. I have them segragated from others in a small humidor just in case. Has anyone else ever had this happen and are they trashed or what. I am a longtime cigar smoker but recently fell in love with brazilian wrapper (CAO Brazilia, my FAV). Not sure if some cheaper labels are similar to this.

Thanks for any feedback.  Ted

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I guess you are gonna have to try one out Ted. Probably not mold if they were stord right. Those Brazilian wrappers can have some interesting smells alright.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    If it smells "Just like the crawl space under your house" I would assume they have molded. 'Cause, thats what your smelling under your house. To me; "If it walks like Duck, Looks like a duck....."
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    thisnobody:

I recently purchased a box of cigars and they smell like the crawlspace under my house (for real , just like that). They were a brazialian wrapper which I know is fermented but I am not sure if the smell is normal or if it is an underlying affect of perhaps mold inside of the cigars. There is no visible mold on them. The box they came in did not smell and I really only noticed the smell when I removed the cellophane from a couple. I have them segragated from others in a small humidor just in case. Has anyone else ever had this happen and are they trashed or what. I am a longtime cigar smoker but recently fell in love with brazilian wrapper (CAO Brazilia, my FAV). Not sure if some cheaper labels are similar to this.

They're probably fine, but if you want to be safe you can leave them in proper humidity conditions for a while before smoking them. A lot of cigars have smells that may be extremely undesirable at first, but it doesn't normally carry through to the smoke, once lit it just takes on typical tobacco characteristics. For example, the Ccom Forum Label Natural literally smells like horse *** but it's one of the best med- to full-bodied sticks for the price that I've ever smoked.

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    thisnobody:

I'd say try smoking them. A little while back I bought a sampler of Gurkha Centurian from the DD - they literally smelled like low-tide at the pier when I got them; they just reeked of that day-old fish smell. But a funny thing - when I lit one up, the smell didn't translate into any of the taste - they tasted and burned great.

So light one of those suckers up - if you just bought it, it's probably not mold, but just a funky odor from the tobacco

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Smoke one.. And do it asap! If you feel they taste funny let the place you bought them know about it. Brazilia's wrappers are funky smelling anyway.