Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Sherpa - A Very Nice Surprise

This cigar was a very nice surprise for me. It definitely puts it in my top 3 mild cigars ever. I was actually quite amazed at the quality and all! More is here - http://wbfiller.com/gurkha-sherpa-toro-cigar-review-by-stan-bogdanov/

What do you guys think? Just one person put the Gurkha Sherpa as his top mild cigar in my other thread. I think I might choose this over a NUB Conny for example.... idk...

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. I still have a couple sitting around the humidor. I will have to revisit them again.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Ren, I am sad to say (although I guess it shows how palate's differ) that I thought this was one of the handful of worst cigars I have had. I will say I am not a mild cigar guy, so that makes me a bit biased----but thought it was one dimensional...and not a good dimension. Dry, papery, and burned hot. Wished I felt differently, and I may well be in the minority here----but it WAS NOT for me.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Ren, I am sad to say (although I guess it shows how palate's differ) that I thought this was one of the handful of worst cigars I have had. I will say I am not a mild cigar guy, so that makes me a bit biased----but thought it was one dimensional...and not a good dimension. Dry, papery, and burned hot. Wished I felt differently, and I may well be in the minority here----but it WAS NOT for me.
    My first and only experience with the Sherpa was very similar to Vulchor's. However, your review gave me new hope that the one I had was a bum stick.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I bought 10 and have had 2. I've had good luck with both. Will I bring it to a wedding? No. Will I have one throwing corn hole in the back yard? Absolutely.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I had a horrible experience with the only Sherpa I've smoked as well, and I don't mind a nice mild sometimes. Mine started out really nice, but it turned to one of the most bitter, acrid cigars I've ever had after about the first inch or so. It had at least 6 months of age on it too. I have 2 more, so I'll revisit one of these days and hope for a better experience next time.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Wow - I didn't expect an overwhelmingly negative look :)... I was surprised as well. I feel like I have had that cigar a while back and it wasn't impressive, but this one in particular did really good. One reason could be that it was very well humidified and resting for ONE whole year before I smoked it. That year could have proven really good for it. Mild cigars usually don't impress me a lot either, but this one did have pleasant flavors. Listening to you guys - I think Ima have another one from my local B&M to see if there is any difference. However - this one in particular, I enjoyed even more than the Casa Torano I had before...
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Sherpa CAFE, with some time in the humi? I will agree on. But the Sherpa itself? Not so much...

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Hey Renny, have you had a gurkha turk? I would say it's probably one of the better light smokes. At least the best from gurkha.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hey Renny, have you had a gurkha turk? I would say it's probably one of the better light smokes. At least the best from gurkha.
    I haven't actually :)... It is one of the reasons why I asked for people's favorite mild smokes. I want to try one now. I bet it is better than the Sherpa (especially hearing about all these unsuccessful experiences above). I think I might even have one sitting in the humi... Ima start by revisiting the NUB conny though...
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Sherpa Cafe. I have never tried the standard Sherpa.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    phobicsquirrel:
    I agree with the Squirrel on this one, had my first one last week and loved it.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I didn't like the Turk or the Sherpa, but I've only had one of each so the jury is still out...
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I had my first Sherpa today... I felt like I was smoking a cigar made from dirty hay scooped up out of a barn... It started mellowing out and not being so bad after the first half but I think it was only because I was getting used to having the taste of an ass in my mouth...

I'll definitely plan to try it again, because I truly love me my gurkha... but man, that thing really didn't do it for me...