Home Cigar 101

CCOM humidor getting dry very quickly?

asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
Hey all, I got a CCOM 20 ct humidor with those magnetic seals about two months ago, and it worked great for a while - I spent about a week seasoning it, and then it held at a steady 65-70% with a drymistat tube. The last week or so, though, it's been steadily going down, for a few days it hung between 60-65%, but the last two days it's gone way down to 55-57%. This obviously is bad. I don't think it's my hygro (Springfield digital) because it's reading a lot lower than it did before, and I don't think a hygrometer can get that inaccurate in so short a time. Is it possible that either a) all the moisture got absorbed from the wood and I need to reseason or b) I've somehow developed a leak? I hope it's not b), that would suck...

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    asolomon:
    Hey all, I got a CCOM 20 ct humidor with those magnetic seals about two months ago, and it worked great for a while - I spent about a week seasoning it, and then it held at a steady 65-70% with a drymistat tube. The last week or so, though, it's been steadily going down, for a few days it hung between 60-65%, but the last two days it's gone way down to 55-57%. This obviously is bad. I don't think it's my hygro (Springfield digital) because it's reading a lot lower than it did before, and I don't think a hygrometer can get that inaccurate in so short a time. Is it possible that either a) all the moisture got absorbed from the wood and I need to reseason or b) I've somehow developed a leak? I hope it's not b), that would suck...
    Have you charged the Drymistat tube lately?
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    3-4 weeks ago, and I overfilled it so it's still plenty full - as in, the crystals are filling up the whole tube.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Not sure how the magnetic seal works, but you might want to do a dollar bill test to make sure you are not leaking. How many cigars do you have in the humi? A higher number of cigars helps with regulating the humidity.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    You mentioned magnetic seals.... I know magnets can play h*ll with electronics if they are in too close of proximity to each other. If all else fails, you may want to pick up a boveda calibration pack or do a salt test on your hygrometer to see if its still in calibration. Just a thought.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    asolomon:
    3-4 weeks ago, and I overfilled it so it's still plenty full - as in, the crystals are filling up the whole tube.
    Are the beads clear? if not, then you will need to charge it again.

"Long ashes my friends."

gdsim1:
    You mentioned magnetic seals.... I know magnets can play h*ll with electronics if they are in too close of proximity to each other. If all else fails, you may want to pick up a boveda calibration pack or do a salt test on your hygrometer to see if its still in calibration. Just a thought.

I saw a Boveda calibration pack at a B&M when I visited Chicago and am definitely regretting not getting one. Unless I find one at a B&M where's the best place to buy one online? It seems like a waste to pay shipping that's as much as the pack itself unless there was free shipping or there was a site that sold some good sticks too... unfortunately CCOM doesn't sell the packs :(
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i sent a pm to you.
    Okay so I've left college ( :( !) and have settled back in at home and have had time to make some observations: 1) A Boveda calibration pack is on its way :) 2) The hygro in the humi was consistently reading 60% +/- a bit, but when I took the hygro out and put it in open air during a particularly humid day it went up to 65%! I repeated this a couple of times and that's what happened. I was a bit surprised that the humi was lower than the ambient humidity, but I actually think this means that my humi has a good seal, no? I thought my problem was that the seal was bad, so this would be good news. It's possible my hygro isn't seasoned enough (a week of shot glass) so I've got the shot glass in there now seasoning it up. 3) I moved my sticks (just 5 or so) and the hygro to a ziplock bag with my Drymistat tube, which I'd been using as primary humidification. It's now reading 69% which is exactly what it read a couple of months ago with the Drymistat in a Ziplock. This lends support to the idea that my hygro hasn't become less calibrated recently. 4) Ordered another Drymistat stick for extra power in the humi! So all told it looks like my humi has just dried out inside and needs some more seasoning. It's only a 20 ct and I left a small dish of water in there for a week about a month ago. Now I have a shot glass in there so probably another week or so?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Calibrate your hygro again just to be sure.