Home Cigar 101

Humidification?

sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
I've been using the foam humidifier that came with my humi. I've read that the floral foam style can have more mold problems. My question is whats the best humidifier to use? And where should I get it from? Humi is only a month old so I have some time but I would like to start looking. Thanks in advance. Also both the humidifiers that came with my humi are mounted on the tray on both sides of the hygrometer. Its only a 150 ct, do I need humidifier iin the bottom or will it be fine? FYI all sticks have been great other than a horrible trinidad that had many issue! Am I just being paranoid?

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    sirfoster83:
    I've been using the foam humidifier that came with my humi. I've read that the floral foam style can have more mold problems. My question is whats the best humidifier to use? And where should I get it from? Humi is only a month old so I have some time but I would like to start looking. Thanks in advance. Also both the humidifiers that came with my humi are mounted on the tray on both sides of the hygrometer. Its only a 150 ct, do I need humidifier iin the bottom or will it be fine? FYI all sticks have been great other than a horrible trinidad that had many issue! Am I just being paranoid?
    If the humidity is stable, I wouldn't worry about it yet. I've had the foam humidifier that came with mine for over a year with zero mold problems. If you want to replace it though, get some beads or a gel humidifier, such as Xikar. The beads can be bought through heartfelt industries, and everyone here swears by them. I personally am using a gel crystal humidifier from Xikar in my 125ct.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Yep - I think 90% of the responses to this thread will say beads - so feel free to order some right now and get on it! :)
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Thank you gents! I will look into both. As for placement does it matter in the 150 ct?
    Hm... Try to get it center-wise... But it wouldn't matter that much. Just don't cover it up in cigars! You can look also into DryMistat tubes. I have 4 of these - one in each corner standing vertical for equal humidification...
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hm... Try to get it center-wise... But it wouldn't matter that much. Just don't cover it up in cigars! You can look also into DryMistat tubes. I have 4 of these - one in each corner standing vertical for equal humidification...
    I actually was looking at Drymistat tubes right before I posted this thread. I was thinking about getting a couple to throw under the tray. Maybe one on each side of the divider. I've got the creative wheels turning now... Thanks bro P.S. keep the comics coming!
    sirfoster83:
    Renaissance_Man:
    I actually was looking at Drymistat tubes right before I posted this thread. I was thinking about getting a couple to throw under the tray. Maybe one on each side of the divider. I've got the creative wheels turning now... Thanks bro P.S. keep the comics coming!
    Great idea! They are good for this purpose. And thanks for the comics, glad you like them ;)!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I can't remember who but someone else mentioned beads from another place which were cheaper. I have HI beads and love 'em but they are sort of spendy.
  • I just purchased 3 boveda packs and they seem to be doing a great job...my local B&M recommended them
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    phobicsquirrel:
    I can't remember who but someone else mentioned beads from another place which were cheaper. I have HI beads and love 'em but they are sort of spendy.
    Here you go: Cheaper beads I bought a pound of them for my latest humidor and really love them. Don't remember who originally recommmended them, but they work just as well as the Heartfelt beads. Shipping was fast, and they came with a free mesh bag.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Renaissance_Man:
    +1 on the drymistat tubes. I prefer to keep my humi's closer to 70% than 65%. Using crystal gel, I was constantly fighting to get the humidity up where I liked it. Threw a drymistat tube in with it, and Ive been sitting a rock steady 69% since. I think they're excellent to stabilize and "bump" your humidity. Not sure how they would work as a primary source of humidity, but as secondary I definitely endorse them.

gdsim1:
    Renaissance_Man:
    +1 on the drymistat tubes. I prefer to keep my humi's closer to 70% than 65%. Using crystal gel, I was constantly fighting to get the humidity up where I liked it. Threw a drymistat tube in with it, and Ive been sitting a rock steady 69% since. I think they're excellent to stabilize and "bump" your humidity. Not sure how they would work as a primary source of humidity, but as secondary I definitely endorse them.

Funny you say 69%! I have noticed they always tend to stabilize it around there! Not 70, not 68 but 69%... I guess they were really well engineered...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Cigar Sherlock:
    I just purchased 3 boveda packs and they seem to be doing a great job...my local B&M recommended them
    That's what I've used for the past few years. For myself, they are superior to any other humidification device out there. Until I buy a walk in that is...
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Renaissance_Man:
    gdsim1:
    Renaissance_Man:

Funny you say 69%! I have noticed they always tend to stabilize it around there! Not 70, not 68 but 69%... I guess they were really well engineered...
    Considering I was struggling to maintain 65-66% before the drymistats, Im thrilled with a solid 69%. :-)

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Heartfelt, heartfelt, heartfelt........ nuff said.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    yea i have heard nothing but good things about beads. i use the humi gel from here and its working great so far. its up to you though
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I bought a 4 lb bag of off-brand unscented kitty litter at wal-mart for 4 dollars. Bought a couple of those $0.50 vending machine leggings and I put a handful of the litter in the leggings and cut it, then tie the open end... Spray with a spray bottle of distilled water every once in a while and viola! Humidifiers for 15 coolidors for less than 5 bucks.

Have used it about 1 1/2 months now with no issue whatsoever.
  • I have been hearing more and more about unscented kitty litter crystals made of silica sand, oxygen, and water....I'm going to put them to the test after I get done with my homemade humi
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    Here is a link to some VERY good quality beads used for museums that are 65 or 70 % rated and are half the price of the Heartfelt Industries beads. They also come with mess bags to store your beads in. Check them out. Several of us have been using them for a long time now with no complaints whatsoever.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    Cigar Sherlock:
    I have been hearing more and more about unscented kitty litter crystals made of silica sand, oxygen, and water....I'm going to put them to the test after I get done with my homemade humi
    i know that it is pretty much the exact same thing but i just cant bring myself to put cat litter in my humi. i would be way too uncomfortable with it lol. i have 2 cats so i know the way it smells after its used. i know it would be different in my humi but i just cant do it. ill stick with my humi-gel for now and then when that dies ill get some beads.