Home Cigar 101

Water/oil stains in humidor?

KR1KR1 Posts: 9
Im new here and and this is my first post so bare with me.

I recently purchased a 50ct humidor from specs and started the seasoning process. I placed a ceramic cup with distilled water in and let it sit for four days. When I opened it up to check the humidity level I noticed that there was what appeared to be oil in the water, on the side of the cup and on the wood where the cup was sitting. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I removed the cup and placed my crystals in there and will let it sit for the next two days to make sure the humidity stays.
Thanks you for your time!!!

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not normal - never even heard of that before. If you bought the humidor from a reputable dealer, the spanish cedar is always kiln-dried, so the only source of the oil could be is the cup you used
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Not normal - never even heard of that before. If you bought the humidor from a reputable dealer, the spanish cedar is always kiln-dried, so the only source of the oil could be is the cup you used
    I would agree. To be honest I hate breaking in new humi's.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    You might want to have your water checked, just saying. LOL
  • KR1KR1 Posts: 9
    Should I air out the humi and see if it goes away or should I just use it the way it is?
    Thanks for the input by the way.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i wouldnt use it because if the oil comes in contact with any of your sticks it may ruin them. wipe down the inside of your humi and then i would try reseasoning it with a shot glass or a boveda seasoning kit.
    Well I just wiped down the affected area with some distilled water ( lightly of course ). Will see how this goes. Also thinking about getting some sheets of cedar that the shop has and placing one over the stains. I just want to use my humidor already!!!!! Lol. Been having to use my little 15 count and making sure the different cigs don't touch. :(
    Think I figured out what caused the stains..........cooking oil. :(
    I currently have three shot glasses of distilled water in there to speed up the humidification process. Hopefully any oil left will collect in the shot glasses. If nothing collects then I think I should be ok. If it does then I will continue the process until nothing is left. Then again I could be completely wrong and my humidor is screwed, lol.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    KR1:
    Think I figured out what caused the stains..........cooking oil. :( I currently have three shot glasses of distilled water in there to speed up the humidification process. Hopefully any oil left will collect in the shot glasses. If nothing collects then I think I should be ok. If it does then I will continue the process until nothing is left. Then again I could be completely wrong and my humidor is screwed, lol.
    Oil and water do not mix. Oil will not collect in the shot glasses. I would start over. Wood will soak up the oil. If it were me, I wouldn't use it. I would not want cooking oil on my sticks. Just be more careful on the next one.
    I decided to give the humidor to my girl. No reason to take chances with my cigs. Will just get another one and be more careful. Thanks for your input all. :)
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Just curious how you got cooking oil into the humi to start with?
    The bowl I used had some on it I'm guessing. Didn't notice it at all.