Home Ratings & Reviews

Opus X

betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
I've smoked a few of these now, and I'm continually baffled as to how this tobacco was grown in the Dominican. Very strong, but with the signature flavors you enjoy from other Dominican tobacco. It's like regular Dominican tobacco on steroids. Any thoughts on this? Full review, as always, is on my website. /end plug.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I really like them. I think the **** is my favorite with the robusto in short 2nd's. The love affair is good as well. Hard to beat if you get them for close to msrp. I don't think they are as strong as people lead them on to be. I think cigars such as the DL chisel maduros are stronger but that's my opinion. Either way Opus's are very tasty. I wish I could get my hands on a OR of them, I've heard the blend has sort of wavered over the years.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yes, I've heard they are release green. I guess just letting them sit would sort it out just fine. I love how they are named, and would love to try all the strange ones.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    betasynn:
    Yes, I've heard they are release green. I guess just letting them sit would sort it out just fine. I love how they are named, and would love to try all the strange ones.
    I've got my eye on a couple of the A at my local B&M. They are just so ridiculously enormous. I would have to place them length-wise in the coolidor across several boxes, I think!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    I've smoked a few of these now, and I'm continually baffled as to how this tobacco was grown in the Dominican. Very strong, but with the signature flavors you enjoy from other Dominican tobacco. It's like regular Dominican tobacco on steroids. Any thoughts on this? .
    the weather and soil conditions in the dominican are not very good for wrapper leaf. the leaves often end up damaged or discolored and thus are unable to be presentable for a cigar.
    since the wrapper for the OpusX is dominican, and is presentable, this means that only the more hearty leaves are used. they are the ones that have the thickness and nutrients to stand up to the elements. this makes them strong as well. its much like the ligero leaf is stronger because it has more sun. the conditions make it a heartier leaf.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one Opus X so far, and I remember smoking it with a buddy of mine (who was also smoking one too) and thinking that "I don't see what the big deal is with these cigars, seems pretty tame to me." well, long story short, I couldn't finish it, lol. And I had a huge dinner before then.

"Long ashes my friends."

betasynn:
    It's strange, I've had several ****'s right from the shop and found them enjoyable. I had some lost city's right from the shop and enjoyed them. Though I had a love affair and magnum fresh and they weren't really that smoke-able, very harsh.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Krieg:
    I've only had one Opus X so far, and I remember smoking it with a buddy of mine (who was also smoking one too) and thinking that "I don't see what the big deal is with these cigars, seems pretty tame to me." well, long story short, I couldn't finish it, lol. And I had a huge dinner before then.
    Definetly sneaks up on you!
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Yeah I smoked a Perfection X on New Years Eve and I got sick as a dog ( it may have been all the shots however )
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    The Cank:
    Yeah I smoked a Perfection X on New Years Eve and I got sick as a dog ( it may have been all the shots however )
    ugh, mixing any cigar with shots does not sound appealing. lol.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive heard mixed reviews on here and from friends.
    Yeah shots would be a bad idea especially with an opus, all that perfection wasted...