Home Cigar 101

Long term question...

Question: If I store multiple brands of cigars on top of one another in my humidor...is it possible over a longer time period that the tobaccos would blend oil and effect the overall taste/flavors therein? I keep the cello on unless they don't come with any..I'm concerned because my collection though small, is far ahead of my one cigar a week habit. Thoughts?

Comments

• Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    There are lots of threads on this subject already and opinions vary. My line of thought would be if storing for a LONG period of time (years),and naked, I would separate by wrapper. Connies with connies, maduros with maduros and so forth. If they have the cello and/or won't be in there together that long I wouldn't worry about it.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    As Duder mentioned there are quite a few threads about this but what I personally have gathered and understand is that while cello allows moisture and humidity into the cigar, it also blocks oils from leaving the cigars and mixing with other 'gars. Kuzi aka Cigaryoda mentions this all the time - and so far he hasn't steered me wrong.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ....well...

i got nothin to add.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    When I first came on board I stored some of mine naked. The day I realized I had accidentally damaged the wrapper of an $8 cigar I stopped. No more in the buff.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    docedwards:
    When I first came on board I stored some of mine naked. The day I realized I had accidentally damaged the wrapper of an $8 cigar I stopped. No more in the buff.
    This is exactly why I don't store my sticks naked!

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Just make sure there arent any infused sticks in there mixed in.
  • No infused sticks yet.. just being overly cautious. I'll do more research next time before asking a question...just don't have much time to browse through the archives.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Cigar Sherlock:
    No infused sticks yet.. just being overly cautious. I'll do more research next time before asking a question...just don't have much time to browse through the archives.
    With the number of threads, and posts here it is quite difficult to find information on any given subject. Add to that our knack for hijacking or derailing threads and it becomes almost impossible.

When a newer member asks a question that has been asked before (maybe many times) it keeps some of this information near the top of the threads and thereby makes it easier to find an answer.

The BOTL here, while they can sometimes get into very heated discussions about politics and such, ALWAYS seem to be willing to answer questions without any animosity. One of the things that make this place work so well, and fun to hang out in.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    laker1963:
    Cigar Sherlock:
    No infused sticks yet.. just being overly cautious. I'll do more research next time before asking a question...just don't have much time to browse through the archives.
    With the number of threads, and posts here it is quite difficult to find information on any given subject. Add to that our knack for hijacking or derailing threads and it becomes almost impossible.

When a newer member asks a question that has been asked before (maybe many times) it keeps some of this information near the top of the threads and thereby makes it easier to find an answer.

The BOTL here, while they can sometimes get into very heated discussions about politics and such, ALWAYS seem to be willing to answer questions without any animosity. One of the things that make this place work so well, and fun to hang out in.
    Who let Laker back on the forums? Shoo, laker, Shoo! :-P
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    GadwinDuil:
    laker1963:
    Cigar Sherlock:

Who let Laker back on the forums? Shoo, laker, Shoo! :-P
    SH IT... did I get banned (AGAIN!!!!). Why didn't someone tell me ?

Now I'm pissed. AND staying :)
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cigar Sherlock:
    Here - http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/148197.aspx

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am of the opinion that it makes no substantial difference. Other opinions will vary.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    docedwards:
    +2
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    If I had an aging humi with drawers instead of trays, I'd take them out of the cello to age them. I'm a digger, so anything in my regular humi would stay in the cello. I don't want the wrappers getting cracked and stuff like Doc and Hannibal mentioned.