Home General Discussion

in wall humidor

still working on getting an in wall humi built. question, since everythiung will be in the wall could the box part be built out of just spanish cedar w/a hardwood and glass face.

Comments

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Probably, but I think that before you install the box in the wall I'd line the inside of the wall with Tyvek or something similar as a vapor barrier.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How thick are your walls that you'd be able to build a humi fully into one? Or am I not getting the whole picture?
    j0z3r:
    How thick are your walls that you'd be able to build a humi fully into one? Or am I not getting the whole picture?

Standard interior walls are 4 inches thick, he's probably doing something sort of like an in-wall medicine cabinet, only made out of wood specifically for stogies.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    j0z3r:

Standard interior walls are 4 inches thick, he's probably doing something sort of like an in-wall medicine cabinet, only made out of wood specifically for stogies.

I kinda figured that would be the case and the only kind of cabinet you could full recess in the wall. The reason I asked is because sometimes people don't realize the thickness, or lack thereof, of a wall....I know how it sounds and I hate to assume anything, but some people aren't very practical, not saying that's anyone here, just asking a question. :)
    j0z3r:
    bacon.jay:
    j0z3r:

I kinda figured that would be the case and the only kind of cabinet you could full recess in the wall. The reason I asked is because sometimes people don't realize the thickness, or lack thereof, of a wall....I know how it sounds and I hate to assume anything, but some people aren't very practical, not saying that's anyone here, just asking a question. :)

People are hardly ever practical with cars, guitars, and guns, why should cigars be any different? Haha

• fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    im putting it in the wall that is on the closet. so it will be deeper than my standard wall. im pratical and calculated, no worries. your strandard type "a"........... tyvek, why the vapor barrier? just curious.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    fuentejps.... you have a PM.
    fuentejps:
    im putting it in the wall that is on the closet. so it will be deeper than my standard wall. im pratical and calculated, no worries. your strandard type "a"........... tyvek, why the vapor barrier? just curious.

With just the wood liner installed in the wall, you'll lose humidity from the outside of the cedar box into the wall-space. If you put the vapor barrier up this will more or less prevent this. That's as much as I know, but you can check out the thread that cabinetmaker has on the walk-in he's constructing; there's some good info there, and you'd be able to ask some questions about it.