Home Cigar 101

Heartfelt beads

Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got my new 70 RH humidity beads tube. I was wondering how much distilled water am I suppose to put in the tube? It's the small tube.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Pacman84:
    I just got my new 70 RH humidity beads tube. I was wondering how much distilled water am I suppose to put in the tube? It's the small tube.
    Probably better to just place the tube in a container with a bowl of distilled water and let them soak up as much moisture as they will. Don't put the tube in the water, just beside it. Should take a day or two, but you won't damage your beads that way.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a small 20 ct humidor with no more room.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Pacman84:
    Then still do what laker suggested - but instead of putting them in your humi - put them in a tupperware container together with the lid closed - or in a ziplock bag. The reason you don't want to pour distilled water in there is the shock of the moisture can cause the beads to crack and dissolve - to make sure you get the most bang for your buck you want to let the beads absorb the moisture instead of pouring it over them.
    Ok. Would it also be ok to spray the tube with the distilled water?
    GadwinDuil:
    Pacman84:
    Then still do what laker suggested - but instead of putting them in your humi - put them in a tupperware container together with the lid closed - or in a ziplock bag. The reason you don't want to pour distilled water in there is the shock of the moisture can cause the beads to crack and dissolve - to make sure you get the most bang for your buck you want to let the beads absorb the moisture instead of pouring it over them.
    Hell YES ! I am sorry if I left you with the impression that this should be done inside your humidor. Definately use the tupperware or ziplock bag only.

Thanks for catching that Gadwinduil. That would have been a monumental mistake.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Pacman84:
    GadwinDuil:
    the shock of the moisture can cause the beads to crack and dissolve - to make sure you get the most bang for your buck you want to let the beads absorb the moisture instead of pouring it over them.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Alex Williams:
    Pacman84:
    GadwinDuil:
    the shock of the moisture can cause the beads to crack and dissolve - to make sure you get the most bang for your buck you want to let the beads absorb the moisture instead of pouring it over them.
    It's definitely a better idea to just let the beads absorb the moisture - because it helps ensure the survivability of your beads for a long time. You CAN just spray the beads if you want but you risk overfilling them (and they wont regulate the RH quite as well if they are overfilled) and as I mentioned before you could end up cracking the beads from adding too much moisture so quickly. If you must spray them, I'd suggest using a small spray bottle with a mist feature so that you're not adding too much at once. (I'm guilty of doing this with my beads :-P )

Patience truly is a virtue when it comes to cigars, So generally the best method will be the one which takes the most time. It really, really pays off in the end.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Pacman84:
    Buy a (much) bigger humidor!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Since we're on the subject, can I season the beads and the Humi at the same time? I have a Humi that has been Out of the rotation since my Coolidor project, but now I ordered some beads for it (couldn't pass on the 10% off deal at Heartfelt from last week). Right now the Humi is empty - is it OK to do the dish of water with the beads to get the humi going? I've heard great things about Boveda seasoning packs too, but figured since the beads are on the way...
    ljl:
    Since we're on the subject, can I season the beads and the Humi at the same time? I have a Humi that has been Out of the rotation since my Coolidor project, but now I ordered some beads for it (couldn't pass on the 10% off deal at Heartfelt from last week). Right now the Humi is empty - is it OK to do the dish of water with the beads to get the humi going? I've heard great things about Boveda seasoning packs too, but figured since the beads are on the way...
    If there are no sticks in the Humi, it should work fine. I would suspect that the Humi will take longer to season then the beads will to absorb moisture, but if you leave them for a week or so, I think you should be ok. You can always throw a Hygrometer in there after a few days to monitor the RH.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    TatuajeVI:
    Pacman84:
    Buy a (much) bigger humidor!
    +1
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna get me a 50-75 ct humi. I should have bought one the first time.
    How long should I leave the tube of beads inside the ziplock bag in there for? Sorry forgot to ask.
    Pacman84:
    How long should I leave the tube of beads inside the ziplock bag in there for? Sorry forgot to ask.
    Like I said above, about a week should be fine, but because of temp. . humidity variables where you live it is hard to say exactly this or that many days.
    Ok I will leave it for acouple of days. Do I do this every time I need to recharge the beads?
    Pacman84:
    Ok I will leave it for acouple of days. Do I do this every time I need to recharge the beads?
    Well, after they are charged you can get away with placing a Shot glass of distilled water into the humi and just letting the beads soak up the moisture.
    Ok will do. Thanks for your help.
    Before I put the beads in the humidor do I remove the water pillows and just leave the tube by itself with a shot glass of DW?
    Pacman84:
    Before I put the beads in the humidor do I remove the water pillows and just leave the tube by itself with a shot glass of DW?
    Either way should work fine, but you don't really need those water pillows at this point.
    I just placed the bowl of water with the tube next to it inside a ziplock bag yesterday. I'm gonna give it a few days before I put in the humi. Thanks for your help laker.
    Pacman84:
    I just placed the bowl of water with the tube next to it inside a ziplock bag yesterday. I'm gonna give it a few days before I put in the humi. Thanks for your help laker.
    You bet bro'. Should be good to go.

What do you like to smoke?
    I'll pretty much smoke anything. I really like any medium to medium full smokes. What about yourself?
    Pacman84:
    I'll pretty much smoke anything. I really like any medium to medium full smokes. What about yourself?
    Same here. Right now I am really into Nicaraguan tobacco right now.
    Yeah that's some good stuff. Have you tried the Cuban house blend from cccom by any chance? I'm thinking about ordering me one.
    Pacman84:
    Yeah that's some good stuff. Have you tried the Cuban house blend from cccom by any chance? I'm thinking about ordering me one.
    Yeah they are tasty, but I prefer the Brazilian. If you haven't tried one yet, do yourself a favour and get at least one of them as well. I would recommend the Corona vitola, the Churchills are pretty good too.
    Yeah I've actually have tried the Brazilian but the robusto. I will order the corona and Churchill. I like the house blends specially the purple label.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Pacman84:
    Well, after they are charged you can get away with placing a Shot glass of distilled water into the humi and just letting the beads soak up the moisture.
    This is what I do for my two humis, (400ct and 100ct) and it works perfectly.

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Pacman84:
    Yeah they are tasty, but I prefer the Brazilian. If you haven't tried one yet, do yourself a favour and get at least one of them as well. I would recommend the Corona vitola, the Churchills are pretty good too.
    Your best bet would just be the ccom sampler. That's what I did, and so far the red label is my favorite. Haven't had the brazillian yet...but I keep hearing good things about it.

"Long ashes my friends."

Yeah I just need to try out the blue, red, and cameroon.