Home Cigar 101

Temp and Rh

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
I know I've asked questions a million times, so I apologize in advance. Since I've only had my humidor and really picked up cigars since mid Feb this year.

I keep my humidor in my kitchen and the temp stays at 75 when I reach home. In the morning time, its at 71. So what can I do to reduce the temp? I've moved it around the house few times and it shows the same temp. So this morning, I put a towel over it hoping it drops the temp a bit. Hope that is ok to do.

The other thing is my RH. I have the heartfelt 65% beads in there and it was holding pretty consistent until a few days ago, it around 63%. I've had the same amount of sticks in there cause I know it goes up and down according to how many sticks I have. So when it was doing that, I put the rest of the heartfelt beads inside, since I read, you cant have too many beads in there. So still, it around 63%. How or what do I do to make it go higher?

Will be smokin my MoW virtue on Sunday during bbq, thanks to Alex for granting my wish!

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    try placing a bowl of distlled water in there with the beads. They will soak up the water and your RH should start to go up. When your beads maintain RH at 63 (when the beads are rated for 65%) that shows the beads need more moisture.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Laker! I'm trying to make it harder than it is! (insert joke here..)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    It can never be too hard! lol
    I know I set my self up for that.
    zeebra:
    I know I set my self up for that.
    Yeah, it seemed too easy... Squirrels don't have much discretion... evidently, LMAO.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Since your Rh question has been answered I will take a stab at the temp one. Since it has gotten hot up here I have had to move my humidor around a bit to keep the temp down. I found that the bottom of a closet that does not have any walls that are exterior walls are the coolest. Mine was keeping around 75-73 now that it is in the closet I am staying at 65-68.
    Dustin1981:
    Since your Rh question has been answered I will take a stab at the temp one. Since it has gotten hot up here I have had to move my humidor around a bit to keep the temp down. I found that the bottom of a closet that does not have any walls that are exterior walls are the coolest. Mine was keeping around 75-73 now that it is in the closet I am staying at 65-68.
    When it gets really hot here, I take my desktops and put them into a large cooler. Then place some ice, ( I use empty milk cartons to make ice for camping and such, and these work great) inside a container of some kind, into the cooler. The ice will last for a couple of days at least and the temps stay down well below 70 degrees.

Here on Vancouver Island it can get HOT and VERY humid during the summer, and this works for me.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    My main humidor is constant at about 75 degrees, my coolerdor closer to 80. I have never run into any problems.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    my humi although i have only had it for 2-3 months stays at about 75-78 degrees in the summer so far. i did have a scare when i looked at it one day and it read 80 because i heard that is the breaking point for beetles so i moved it to the basement where it dropped to 66 degrees by the next day. when we turned the a/c back on i was able to put it back upstairs now staying at about 75 degrees. it does concern me a little bit because i did read this thing where it said 72 degrees was bad until i realized it was a sales pitch to get me to buy something. so take what you will from that. good luck hope this helps
    mrpillow:
    My main humidor is constant at about 75 degrees, my coolerdor closer to 80. I have never run into any problems.
    WOW !!! Seeing that 80 degrees... would scare the crap out of me... just sayin'
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My humi goes up to 75--77 regularly down here in Florida. No way to keep it consistently lower in the summer. I have never experienced a problem with it. Call me crazy but I have intentionally left some cigars in my truck on hot humid days to sample the difference in tastes. Some sticks actually taste better when exposed to higher temps for a few hours. Just saying!
    fla-gypsy:
    My humi goes up to 75--77 regularly down here in Florida. No way to keep it consistently lower in the summer. I have never experienced a problem with it. Call me crazy but I have intentionally left some cigars in my truck on hot humid days to sample the difference in tastes. Some sticks actually taste better when exposed to higher temps for a few hours. Just saying!
    Yeah I remember reading an article , I think it was in CA , but anyway the writter was talking about how different wrappers prefer a little higher RH then others. I will try to see if I can find it again. It was interesting.
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    Yeah I remember reading an article , I think it was in CA , but anyway the writter was talking about how different wrappers prefer a little higher RH then others. I will try to see if I can find it again. It was interesting.
    It is not just RH, I am talking temps that reach 100+ on a sunny day down here. Some sticks really respond and just ooze flavor if they get heated up ahead of time.
    fla-gypsy:
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    It is not just RH, I am talking temps that reach 100+ on a sunny day down here. Some sticks really respond and just ooze flavor if they get heated up ahead of time.
    FU Ck me. at 100+ degrees ooozing sounds about right, LOL. Do you take ANY measures during times like that or just ride it out? Have you found you have to protect some sticks while others do OK without any special handling?

I think if it was me, and my humi got to those temps... I would just have to sit down and smoke my way thru my humi before they were ruined ! LMAO
    Well all those responses and temps that you guys have is refreshing to hear!!! I was a bit concerned, but I guess its normal during summer. If it goes higher, then I will definitely do something to make it cooler and around 70%. So during the days, when I leave, I just put a towel over it where the sun does not hit, and its been around 73% and 67 Rh.

Thanks fellas!!!!
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:

Nice idea gypsy, I'm gonna see what the TX gulf coast climate can do to improve a gar!!!!

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Be careful. It can certainly get humid here, but leaving a cigar out in the humidity is an easy way to get a cracked or split wrapper if you aren't careful.
    mrpillow:
    Be careful. It can certainly get humid here, but leaving a cigar out in the humidity is an easy way to get a cracked or split wrapper if you aren't careful.
    The OPPOSITE of dry boxing...Truck sweating. That Gypsy... such a rebel :)
    laker1963:
    mrpillow:
    The OPPOSITE of dry boxing...Truck sweating. That Gypsy... such a rebel :)
    OK, I am just talking about leaving them from 6 am till lunch time out of the sun. The medium brown wrappers of some really respond to this, but not all of them. The very dark maduro and oscuro wrappers do not respond as well in my experience. Do not leave them in the sun, they will be toasted for sure. LOL