Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Black Dragon

It's my first review so bear with me. Met with Marty (lilwing88) last Thursday at the local B&M event and had me 4.5 x 52.

Smell of the wrapper, oily an earthy which translated well into the cap: sweet leather and dirt...loved it!

Wrapper and filler rolled very nice. Looking at the end you can clearly see the long leaves bunched in the middle. Wrapper was perfect and the cap was a little larger than others I've seen. Not sure if that was on purpose but it would have taken a cut nicely.

It took the light well and the draw was nice. The flavors of the cap and smoke blended well. The smoke was milder than the cap but still had that pure tobacco flavor with a hint of the earth tone. Flavor was consistent to the end which was surprising: if I wasn't burning my fingers I would have smoked the whole thing...lol

The burn was good but there were a few relights and the wrapper burned a little uneven. To it's defense I haven't too many that didn't burn a little uneven so it's not a criticism. Ash was white and if I wasn't moving around I could have kept it on there and won the long ash contest.

Overall, one of the better smokes I've had and it redeemed Gurkha for me since my experience with the Grand Reserve. It's something I could smoke everyday.

It's not a scientific rating system but I rate cigars as:

Never Again (cat piss, dog's ass, old shoe, etc.)

Once in a While (flavored, infused, kick in the teeth or weak as hell)

Could Smoke Them Everyday (RP vintage 90', Casa Magna, Black Dragon)

If I Could Only Smoke One Brand For the Rest of My Life (Padron 1964)

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    nicely done. If you like the black dragon you might like the other dragons.. .fury, red, green, fire. I like the red/green/fire/fury then the black. For some reason the black just falls short on the flavors I like. It's still a good cigar.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I like the Blk Dragon Robusto. Should have had one today now that I think about it.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a smaller size in the Black Dragon. It started great. I loved the flavor, until about the half way point. It turned into a licorice or a strong anise flavor. I HATE that flavor and hate to put it out!
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    Poker Slob:
    I tried a smaller size in the Black Dragon. It started great. I loved the flavor, until about the half way point. It turned into a licorice or a strong anise flavor. I HATE that flavor and hate to put it out!

I didn't experience that. I thought the flavor was consistent. That's common in about every other smoke I've had. I had a Gurkha Shaggy last night and the flavor did change a bit but nothing drastic.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    cant wait to light mine up, i have two robustos and two tubos so i think tonight will be a tubo night! lol. ookay....edit time....i just had this stick...pretty much on my top ten list...it was awesome....earthy flavors which was full and robust! it had a slight burn prob with the wrap but nothing a torch flame couldnt fix in 3.7 seconds lol.... glad i have 3 others to enjoy!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, Tony. I'm glad you liked the Black Dragon. It's probably my favorite Gurkha. Although, the one I had after you that night had a tight draw. But the flavors were there. Just couldn't get as much smoke output as I'd like. But, overall, my Black Dragon experiences have all been good.

Did you try that Shaggy Foot, that night? I can't remember. I liked mine.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    lilwing88:
    Nice review, Tony. I'm glad you liked the Black Dragon. It's probably my favorite Gurkha. Although, the one I had after you that night had a tight draw. But the flavors were there. Just couldn't get as much smoke output as I'd like. But, overall, my Black Dragon experiences have all been good.

Did you try that Shaggy Foot, that night? I can't remember. I liked mine.

Sorry Marty, was catching up on some of the threads.

No, didn't have the shaggy that night (Joe did when he stopped in) but did have one a few days later. Not as mild as the Black Dragon but some of the same flavors. I liked it but thought the Dragon was a hair better. Definitely in my could smoke everyday category.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    There's one of these that's been staring at me every time I open the Humi. It's been in there almost a year, I'm hoping to make it that far, after the review - we'll see.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    ljl:
    There's one of these that's been staring at me every time I open the Humi. It's been in there almost a year, I'm hoping to make it that far, after the review - we'll see.
    I don't know if it is the same cigar, but Pheebs and I split a box of the Dragon Fury sticks. I believe they are from the Black Dragon line, they are a shaggy foot and they are mighty tasty too. I only have 5 or 6 of these left. One of those really good Gurkha's that are out there.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    laker1963:
    ljl:
    I don't know if it is the same cigar, but Pheebs and I split a box of the Dragon Fury sticks. I believe they are from the Black Dragon line, they are a shaggy foot and they are mighty tasty too. I only have 5 or 6 of these left. One of those really good Gurkha's that are out there.

The one I've had resting isn't a fury though I did seem to be lucky enough to stumble across one of those too somehow (lol)! I had to bury the fury in the humi in fear I would smoke it right away!!!