Home General Discussion

what cutter do you use?

the name says it all. what kinda cutter does everyone use? is there a favorite? i am looking into it and the xikar look very nice but i wanna get some info first. Thanks Hoagy

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've got a Xikar. It gets the job done, but cutters are one of those areas where I'm just not happy with the state of the market. For what one pays for a Xikar, etc., one should be able to get something much better.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Agreed on that note urby. I've got a Xikar double guillotine, xi5 is it? I've also got a punch cutter, though I grab the Xikar more often, the punch works well and has less risk of **** up.
    I forget which model I have. The Xi3, maybe? It's the one with the rosewood handles. Anyway, yeah, for what one pays for one of these, the product should be better. What one tends to get as one pays more for a cutter, however, is something fancier looking rather than something that works better.

To me, a cutter in the Xikar's price range should have heavier, sharper blades than it does. They should be removable, and you should be able to send them in for resharpening. There should be an indexed, adjustable backplate for setting cut depth. The cutter should feel sturdier and operate more smoothly; IOW, it should both be, and feel like a serious tool.

When I got my Xikar and played with it a little, I was frankly quite disappointed. It doesn't feel notably sturdier or better than the cheap Colibris I've had in the past. The action still feels basically like operating any desktop stapler. Is it better than the cheap Colibris? I guess. One hopes the blades will stay sharper, longer. But, honestly, how many cheap Colibris could I buy, use, and throw away for the price of one Xikar?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yes, exactly. I have the Rosewood handled cutter as well. I too was disappointed at paying $75 for a cutter that works well, but not as well as it could or even should at the price. Sure, its better than the little plastic one I had that I paid $2 for, but that much better? Not really.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I haven't used a cutter in years. I use my fingers. The "pinch method". I did a step by step with pictures a few years back on another forum. Let me see if I can find it.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I just use a regular old guilitine cutter. I guess it works well, but it is definately getting dull. I too was curious as to what would be a good investment for myself. What exactly does a punch do and how is it better or different than a guilitine?
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I prefer to use a punch, its a cleaner, more consistant cut overall. I leave the cutters only for the torpedo types.

Basically a punch punches a hole into the cap, instead of slicing off the a portion of the cap. It is easier to control I think.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I just use a generic double-bladed guillotine, that normally runs around ten bucks. I had a cheap plastic single-bladed and it sucked... smashed the cigar rather than cutting it. The newer double-bladed cutters have a heavier blade, and are well-sharpened. Much like hockey skates, stainless is stainless, and it's more in how well-maintained the blades are than all the fancy extras in something more expensive. As others have mentioned, the more expensive cutters perform marginally better, but I could buy seven of those cheapies and always have a better, sharper cut than someone trying to get their money's worth out of a premium cutter.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i use a punch for just about everything. no name brand or anything, i think i threw it in on some order from some random online site about a year ago to replace the other one i lost and got in a simaler way a year or two before.

...unless its a torpedo or something of the like. I have a cheap $10 double guillotine that i use. i almost never use it so its still fairly sharp after about 2 years. hasnt even come close to messing up a single cigar yet.
  • gelb13gelb13 Posts: 4
    I also use a punch cutter; two-piece, pull it a part like an ink pen. the only drawback is that I have to use a toothpick to remove the cap from the inside. Anyone have one of those self-cleaning punch cutters? Sorry, I do not recall the make.
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I too prefer the punch. I find that it's a cleaner method of opening up your stogie. When using a standard cutter, I find that you end up spitting out small bits of tobacco more often than if you were to use a punch.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    urbino:
    To me, a cutter in the Xikar's price range should have heavier, sharper blades than it does. They should be removable, and you should be able to send them in for resharpening.
    The blades are removeable, and you can send it in for free re-sharpening. Their website says to send the cutter in a padded envelope and they will have it back to you within 2 weeks.

Also, if you register your cutter on their site, they will send you a nice little leather sleeve for it. I have 2 Xi2's that I use for nearly all my smokes. I find the cut is cleanest if you gently twist the cigar as you close the blades.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    urbino:
    To me, a cutter in the Xikar's price range should have heavier, sharper blades than it does. They should be removable, and you should be able to send them in for resharpening.
    The blades are removeable, and you can send it in for free re-sharpening. Their website says to send the cutter in a padded envelope and they will have it back to you within 2 weeks.

Also, if you register your cutter on their site, they will send you a nice little leather sleeve for it. I have 2 Xi2's that I use for nearly all my smokes. I find the cut is cleanest if you gently twist the cigar as you close the blades.
    this post makes me want to buy a xikar cutter even though i dont need one. I already have a lighter of theirs and i love it. its good to hear that it translates to the cutters also.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I use the punch that is built into my Nibo lighter for everything except for Torpedos. I have a Double G that came with my travel pouch that I use for that.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I lost my xikar, so I've just been using my pocket knife.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I use a Palio fixed blade on one end and the other moves, works really well for me
    Scrambler:
    urbino:

See, this is why I should read owner's manuals. Thanks, Scrambler.
  • bwalkbwalk Posts: 6
    I use a $5 double-guillotine cutter that I got forever and a day ago at the B&M place I usually go to. But I keep a punch cutter on my keychain... just in-case. :-)
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    I love my Xikar. Ive got an Xi2 and looking to save a little to get a Xi3. I would highly recommend this cutter though.
  • HexnutHexnut Posts: 2
    I bought a Cuban Crafter cutter seveal months back and for the $, they rock. I got a Xicar Xi for my bday and it looks cool and is fun to click open and well made but the CC cuts easier and cleaner. My .02
  • ssemraussemrau Posts: 1
    I am a Palio guy, myself. Everyone who sees it wants to know where I got it and how they can buy one too.
  • stp900stp900 Posts: 5
    I use a Xikar Xi2 cutter exclusively, however my brother in law has a Savoy steel double guillotine cutter and it is soooo smoth.  IMHO, the cutter delivers a way closer cut than my Xikar.  I am looking at getting a punch cutter just to see if I like that better..always open to new types of cutters.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I use a Xikar V-cutter myself.  I haven't been smoking cigars very long, but I've tried various cuts and find I really prefer the V-cut... Except for the figurados of course... Those I just use a straight or angled guillotine cut...  Haven't decided if I like the straight or angled... Can't really tell much of a difference to be honest...
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I use a CCOM double guillotine that I got with one of their Friday deals about 4-5 months ago.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm not too keen on cutters, I really like using my punch.