Home Cigar 101

How do you handle your "overflow" cigars?

WoodyOWoodyO Posts: 12
I went a little wild with my online purchases this month and it looks like my 75 count humidor is going to be overflowing soon. Also, I have a box of Acid Kuba Kuba maduro's coming that I don't want to mix in with my other sticks. I've heard the terms "tupperador" and "coolador" used, and I've seen desktop jars with humification disks in them. Would I be able to store those acid's in an airtight acrylic jar (similar to what most people store coffee in) with a drymistat tube in there? Thanks, -Lee

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have all my boxes in 3 large plastic bins. I have a 300 count filled with primarily opus X's, anejos, loose GOF's and Loose olvia V maduro's, and a few other cigars. I have loose cigars for trades and stuff in a smaller plastic bin, and I have 2 of the same sized for other loose cigars. I also have a mid sized plastic bin that holds gurkha triple ligeros, centurians, beasts, titans. That's filled to the brim. Right now I need another big bin as I have a box that I can't fit, and I had to empty my MOW box and put the cigars in another bin as the box is so damn big. I want to use my cabinet but I have no room to put it and we are moving soon so I don't want to take it out of the box that's protecting it.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Coolers and plastic bins are fine, just make sure you open them from time to time for ventilation, since plastic doesn't breathe. A proper humidor actually allows a tiny bit of air exchange so ventilating your coolerdor will help you avoid potential mold problems.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always send your overflow to me. I'll take fine care of 'em............

Marty

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I bought a pair of coleman stackable coolers, threw a single boveda pack in each and called it a day. I put singles and trades in one, and boxes in the other. I like the coolers because there's not a lot of temperature fluctuation.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    For now until I get a Havana Foot-Locker style humidor I keep my overflow in a couple plastic tupperware-style containers and some bags D:

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have a seasoned 20 ct. that I use when I blow out my 2 humi's.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Crossing my fingers that one day I may have that problem!!!
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    smoke em, but seriously coolers work really well for overflow, put in some cedar boxes or planks with some beads or gel and youre good to go
  • tkohlertkohler Posts: 70
    I had the same issue until I bought a 100qt cooler and 12 cedar trays for it, Now I should be able to fit about 400 singles just in the trays, and I just fit boxes along the sides, or take trays out to fit more boxes. I haven't found many cigars I really like to buy boxes tho, so haven't had an issue with overflow yet. Coolerdor works quite well, temp varies between 68-72 depending on how many times I open it, and I've got a pound of beads in there, so humidity sits at about 71-72 at the bottom, and 68-70 on the top (again, depending on how many times I open it).

Coolerdors are nice, as you can buy one large one, or a few small ones, throw some beads in, and its a spot for cigars. Then as your stash shrinks, you can use them as coolers. Stash grows, back to coolerdors.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Just get it over with and buy a new humidor. But this time, be smart and get one bigger than a 75 count! You know you're going to eventually need the room for more, so get yourself a cheap 300 count humidor! I went from a 50 count, added another 100 count, added a coolidor, and then added a 300 count. I've been working on smoking a lot more, and not buying cigars, so I've started to see a bit of room in the different humidors lately. :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    I've been working on smoking a lot more, and not buying cigars, so I've started to see a bit of room in the different humidors lately. :)
    ditto. its way more difficult than i thought it would be.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I bomb the hell out of people
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Tat. I started with a 150 ct. and moved up to a 300 ct. Both are totally full, so i got a huge cooler and tossed some beads in it. It holds over flow boxes and samples until I get a large cabinet. Or just make my house into a large walk-in humidor...oh yes, someday it will happen.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    TatuajeVI:
    I've been working on smoking a lot more, and not buying cigars, so I've started to see a bit of room in the different humidors lately. :)
    ditto. its way more difficult than i thought it would be.
    I tried doing this and came down with Pneumonia. So I couldnt smoke down my stack. I reorganized my humis and was able to eliminate my 20ct, so If I need to have overflow, I will use that 20. Still trying to smoke down my stash, but my CAD is tough to overcome and I want to order more!
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    My humi is pretty empty...

I'll lease you some space.
  • WoodyOWoodyO Posts: 12
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the stackable Coleman idea. The wife bought me my 75 count for Xmas last year, so I can't upgrade too quickly. I do have my eye on a small cabinet or coffee table humidor for when my garage eventually transforms into my smoking lounge. -Lee
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    sirfoster83:
    yep same here i have a 100 ct humi and its just about full so i think i may end up running into this problem shortly. hopefully not because i dont have enough money for a new humi now but my buddy just made a fridgador so maybe he will bless me with some space lol
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    aron325:
    sirfoster83:
    yep same here i have a 100 ct humi and its just about full so i think i may end up running into this problem shortly. hopefully not because i dont have enough money for a new humi now but my buddy just made a fridgador so maybe he will bless me with some space lol
    I dont know Arin. However we might be able to work out some sort of "rent" for the space.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    i just throw my over flow into my other humidor. Comes in very handy!

"Long ashes my friends."

• thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    im still working on it
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I have learned to exercise extreme self-control and now I stop buying when my two humis are full. Sometimes it stinks to miss out on a good deal, but really, unless you're Gypsy and smoke 5 cigars a day, who really needs more than a couple hundred cigars at once?
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    The acrylic cigar jars that ccom were giving away last month if you spent more than $100 work well for overflow of 20 - 25!!

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I have learned to exercise extreme self-control and now I stop buying when my two humis are full. Sometimes it stinks to miss out on a good deal, but really, unless you're Gypsy and smoke 5 cigars a day, who really needs more than a couple hundred cigars at once?
    I get that more and more from the wife. I use to be able to get away with getting cigars, but for some reason boxes really hit the amount you have home. Now she says, you have all these cigars and how long will it take you to smoke them? She has a point but what happens when they are smoked and you can't get them anymore?
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I have 2 humis: 75 count and a 150 count, when these are packed I use a standby cooler
    MrMoke:
    The acrylic cigar jars that ccom were giving away last month if you spent more than $100 work well for overflow of 20 - 25!!

yea but then you order more to fill that one don't you? that is if you don't have good self-control lol
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    aron325:
    MrMoke:

yea but then you order more to fill that one don't you? that is if you don't have good self-control lol

What's "self control" lol

MrMoke:
    aron325:
    MrMoke:

What's "self control" lol

lol good point.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I've got my original 50ct desktop and a 25qt cooler, both full to the brim. Something is gonna have to give here...
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Got a 50ct and a 100ct and only been in the hobby 3 months. Hopefully around xmas there's a cabinet in my future. At least by then I'm gunna need it. Untill then I got loads of Ccom bags and humi packs on stand-by.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    If I have overflow I smoke them as fast as I can. LOL