Home Non Cigar Related

bought a welder!!!

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
its a miller 140 MIG. 669 for the welder, 150 in leathers and an auto dark helmet, and 180 for a bottle of argon/co2. now that im all ready to start welding, guess I better learn how to weld lol. any of you gents out there weld care to give a little advice?

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I was a welder for years before I got into woodworking. You'll only ever need the leathers if you run an innershield setup, lots of heat there. When I ran a MIG, I only ever wore a leather glove on my left hand and a regular gardening glove on my right hand.

Small circles, vertical runs downhill. Watch the puddle, it'll tell you if you are going too fast or slow. Buy a good grinder
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    So many times I have almost bought a welder. One of these days I will...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Can you light sticks with it? LOL
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Can you light sticks with it? LOL
    Yes, but you would not like the taste...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I was a welder for years before I got into woodworking. You'll only ever need the leathers if you run an innershield setup, lots of heat there. When I ran a MIG, I only ever wore a leather glove on my left hand and a regular gardening glove on my right hand.

Small circles, vertical runs downhill. Watch the puddle, it'll tell you if you are going too fast or slow. Buy a good grinder
    Same experience, used to make scaffolds, build truck parts etc. with a MIG, built rock quarry crusher stands, conveyors etc. for a couple years when I was young, before going into the military. Now I have an arc welder, which I put to good use yesterday after shattering the drive shaft on my bush hog. (not the first time) Don't know why, but I just love to do it. Stress relief, my day job now is ICU nurse, RN, and building things just makes me happy, and saves LOTS of money, for cigars, of course. Oh, yeah, listen to cabinet maker, one hour of welding usually means three hours of grinding and wire wheel.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I also find a lot of joy in building things, I work on computers as a profession, where I dont really get to see a finished product, its all virtual. its very satisfying to take a pile of raw materials and make something useful out of it. lot cheaper too, and since im a cheapskate it works pretty well.