Home General Discussion

Custom Sampler

So, i'm thinking of going with a custom sampler of some of the best to get a good variety of great taste, heres what im thinking to line up, what do you guys think?

Camacho 1962 Churchill, Natural -->
image Camacho 1962 Corona, Natural -->
image Camacho Pre-Embargo Pre-Embargo (Cigar.com Exclusive), Natural -->
image Cusano 18 Double Connecticut Robusto, Connecticut -->
image Graycliff Professionale PGX, Sumatra -->
image Gurkha Legend Churchill, Maduro -->
image Gurkha Regent Toro, Natural -->
image Gurkha Titan Titan, Maduro -->
image Montecristo Media Noche Churchill, Maduro -->
image Perdomo Lot 23 Churchill, Connecticut -->
image Rocky Patel Connecticut Churchill, Connecticut -->
image Rocky Patel Sun Grown Torpedo, Sumatra -->

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Depending on what you've already had, I might recommend some changes. But without knowing that, this looks to me like a good variety. I haven't had all of these, but I've had several of them, and they were all good.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

urbino:
    Depending on what you've already had, I might recommend some changes. But without knowing that, this looks to me like a good variety. I haven't had all of these, but I've had several of them, and they were all good.

I'm very interested in what you would change.  My palate isnt anywhere near as vast as many of the seasoned people here.  I do have a place in my heart for smooth connecticuts (it might show in the selections), but, i do enjoy everything else quite a bit and am trying to get a wide spectrum of great taste.

The wide spectrum is what I was thinking of. You could get a lot more cigars for the same money if you just got one Gurkha, or even two. But if you're really eager to try all those Gurkhas, then go for those.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

urbino:
    The wide spectrum is what I was thinking of. You could get a lot more cigars for the same money if you just got one Gurkha, or even two. But if you're really eager to try all those Gurkhas, then go for those.

Well, the c.com sampler deal is 12 of your choosing for 50, so i was thinking, i might as well try the ghurkas while i can get a great deal on them.  I cant really get more for the same money, given the natural limitations of the sampler.

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Vidarien:

urbino:

Well, the c.com sampler deal is 12 of your choosing for 50, so i was thinking, i might as well try the ghurkas while i can get a great deal on them.  I cant really get more for the same money, given the natural limitations of the sampler.

Actually it's 12 for 60... Which averages of course to $5 per stick... Unless you buy two, in which they knock $20 off which brings it to 24 for 100, or just over $4 per stick... Then it's well worth the money in my opinion... (In fact, I just ordered two samples myself)
    Vidarien:

urbino:

Oh, I see. I thought you were just putting together your own "sampler." I agree completely: might as well go for the premium stogies.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I've been waiting for them to add the Camacho Pre-embargo back to the selection, I might have to place another order and I haven't even gotten the last one yet...

Damn, I just bought a video camera this week, there went my budget.
    Scrambler:
    I've been waiting for them to add the Camacho Pre-embargo back to the selection, I might have to place another order and I haven't even gotten the last one yet...

Damn, I just bought a video camera this week, there went my budget.
    I know exactly what you mean... As soon as I saw that I thought, "Hrmmm... I'm gonna have to place another order" I've got a $26 credit anyway cause by mistake I didn't receive the 10% discount on the last two orders... I'm thinking I'll wait till friday and see what the special is too though... I had to have to place an order tommorow and friday too... LMAO Am I gonna have to buy aother couple humidors?!?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Because of this post I just ordered two samplers. Thanks guys :-( I also ordered 10 Gurkha Nepolese Warrior from another place. Now some of these are the same. There are certain ones I like and certain ones I have never tried. I have never had any of the Rocky Patel on this sampler (except the olde world reserve that I am smoking today) nor have I had the those Cusanos or Sol Cubano. I had the cuban cabinet and didn't like them at all. I've only had the Nubs once and wasn't thrilled and I have had some legends but never a Torpedo. The Pre-Embargos that I ordered before have yet to be smoked. I figured that them being in the sampler is too good to pass up. I had one Camacho 1962 and it was nice but it flaked the whole burn so I want to give it chance again. I really am going to get a chance to full up that new humidor.
    rwheelwright:
    Camacho 1962, Churchill, Natural Camacho Pre-Embargo, Pre-Embargo (Cigar.com Exclusive), Natural Gurkha Legend, Perfecto, Maduro Gurkha Legend, Churchill, Maduro Gurkha Legend, Toro (Box Pressed), Maduro Gurkha Legend, Torpedo, Maduro Nub, 460, Cameroon Nub, 460, Connecticut Nub, 466 (Box Pressed Torpedo), Cameroon Rocky Patel Olde World, Torpedo, Natural Rocky Patel Olde World, Torpedo, Maduro Rocky Patel Sun Grown, Torpedo, Sumatra
    rwheelwright:
    Camacho 1962, Churchill, Natural Camacho Pre-Embargo, Pre-Embargo (Cigar.com Exclusive), Natural Cusano 18 Double Connecticut, Robusto, Connecticut Cusano 18 Paired Maduro, Robusto, Double Maduro Cusano Corojo Vintage 1997, Torpedo, Natural Cusano Xclusivo (2004), , Connecticut Rocky Patel I-Press, Toro, Maduro Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Torpedo, Maduro Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, Toro, Natural Sol Cubano Connecticut, Torpedo, Connecticut Sol Cubano Maduro, Torpedo, Maduro Sol Cubano Sumatra, Torpedo, Sumatra
    rwheelwright:
    Because of this post I just ordered two samplers. Thanks guys :-( I also ordered 10 Gurkha Nepolese Warrior from another place.
    Stop complaining... I had a seisure just the other day and somehow with all the violent shaking and waving of my arms I accidently logged into cigar.com and placed another order for two samplers and some other items... This after just ordering two samplers the previous day... I need to get some medicine or something... This is the 5th time I've accidently ordered stuff in just the last 3 weeks... My wife is gonna stop believing me soon if I don't get it taken care of...

***Update*** Just found out they disabled my credit card since it was way over the limit and hasn't been paid in months... Nevermind, we're good... Stick out tongue [:P]
    rusirius:
    rwheelwright:
    Because of this post I just ordered two samplers. Thanks guys :-( I also ordered 10 Gurkha Nepolese Warrior from another place.
    Stop complaining... I had a seisure just the other day and somehow with all the violent shaking and waving of my arms I accidently logged into cigar.com and placed another order for two samplers and some other items... This after just ordering two samplers the previous day... I need to get some medicine or something... This is the 5th time I've accidently ordered stuff in just the last 3 weeks... My wife is gonna stop believing me soon if I don't get it taken care of...

***Update*** Just found out they disabled my credit card since it was way over the limit and hasn't been paid in months... Nevermind, we're good... Stick out tongue [:P]
    HA. You know, I have an addiction to ordering them. Even more than I have to smoking them. If I keep going this way, I'll never be able to buy a house! I do have a question though. If I order a sample do I still get the 10% discount? If so, I did not.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I would love to put together a custom sampler, but when I see the ring gauge sizes of most of those cigars I can't find 12 to put together that doesn't include the whole C.com line. Now I'm not knocking the house blends in any way, it's just that they are so cheap anyways, and available in their own sampler packs so I can't see adding them to a 12 pack sampler. Just don't get your money's worth.

I am liking the smaller 40 - 48 ring gauge size cigars it seems. I did however just score a couple of the Five Vegas 20 samplers from the advice and opinions from you guys here.

I have recently scored some Astral Grand Reserve Vintage 92's and I have now smoked 2 of them. They were SOOOO good that I tried to order a couple from C.Com. NO LUCK :( I did however score the last of some Vintage 1996's of the same brand. Looking forward to putting some age on these. I have noticed what you guys have referred to as Bloom on several of these cigars. Got to look into that a little more as I still am not sure why it is a good thing. But I do know these cigars are THE BOMB!!!! if you like a very well blended, aged, flavourful light to medium body cigar. Might have to make a couple available for passes or trades if there is any interest in them. (other then my own of course)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Couple of things Lake. The 5 Vegas are Cinco Vegas. Second Bloom or Plume, is actually just the oils from the cigar crystallizing. It is a sign that the cigar is at its peak, why exactly, I'm not sure.
    laker1963:
    I would love to put together a custom sampler, but when I see the ring gauge sizes of most of those cigars I can't find 12 to put together that doesn't include the whole C.com line. Now I'm not knocking the house blends in any way, it's just that they are so cheap anyways, and available in their own sampler packs so I can't see adding them to a 12 pack sampler. Just don't get your money's worth.

I am liking the smaller 40 - 48 ring gauge size cigars it seems.
    Ahh, see for me I really like the large rings so the sampler is great... But yeah, I certainly wouldn't get the sampler and throw a bunch of house blends on there! No sense in paying $4 (or $5 if you only buy one) for a $2 cigar!!!
    rwheelwright:
    I do have a question though. If I order a sample do I still get the 10% discount? If so, I did not.
    Yes, it still applies... and I had the same problem with my last two orders... 10% didn't show up anyway so I emailed them... Marvin got back with me in no time and told me he'd take care of me... Placed another order yesterday and he fixed me right up... Made sure I got my discount, applied the discount for the past orders that didn't get it, PLUS fixed me up with a nice sampler that just happened to include a few of my favs just for my trouble... BTW... You f'ing ROCK Marvin! Thanks!!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Second Bloom or Plume, is actually just the oils from the cigar crystallizing. It is a sign that the cigar is at its peak, why exactly, I'm not sure.
    Are you sure about that? I could be wrong, but i thought that plume was more a sign that a) the oils are migrating around the cigar and that b) some have made their way to the top where they crystallize. I have also read that plume is not a definitive sign that a cigar is at its peak. IMO, the more oily a cigar is the better the chances of it developing plume, but that hardly means it has peaked.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    Second Bloom or Plume, is actually just the oils from the cigar crystallizing. It is a sign that the cigar is at its peak, why exactly, I'm not sure.
    Are you sure about that? I could be wrong, but i thought that plume was more a sign that a) the oils are migrating around the cigar and that b) some have made their way to the top where they crystallize. I have also read that plume is not a definitive sign that a cigar is at its peak. IMO, the more oily a cigar is the better the chances of it developing plume, but that hardly means it has peaked.
    i wouldn't argue with you on that as I am not sure why or how it forms. I just know that I've been told that when it forms Plume its peaking. However, I wouldn't take that as gospel either.
    I'm not sure myself, that's why I asked. If I understand correctly, the oils will migrate towards where the air is which is why you'll tend to see plume on top of the cigar, beyond that, I have no idea if it significant of anything other than that you have a cigar that is rich in oils.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Still, learnin', learnin', learnin'. Thanks guys.
    And I did it again... I ordered 10 Hemingway Work of Arts, 5 Hemingway Classics and 4 Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedos. ACK SOMEONE TAKE MY CREDIT CARD AWAY!
    rwheelwright:
    And I did it again... I ordered 10 Hemingway Work of Arts, 5 Hemingway Classics and 4 Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedos. ACK SOMEONE TAKE MY CREDIT CARD AWAY!
    Holy mackerel, what is that, about 200 bills?

Whoever takes his credit card, take mine too... I'm a spend-a-holic.
    Whoever takes their credit cards can bring them to me. Now that a pattern's established, I don't think the credit card companies will sneeze at a bunch of big cigar purchases.
  • Just to close up the original topic.  I ended up placing my sample order yesterday, but their sampler list changed and it didnt have the cusano double C or the graycliff or the ghurka titan :(

Anyways, i just swapped in a la aurora and and a cusano 10 and an additional commacho 62, and lived happily ever after (when they arive at least).

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Some nice orders there. I've been eyeing that triple maduro myself. But with two boxes and a few samplers arriving tomorrow it will probably wait for a while.
    zoom6zoom:
    Some nice orders there. I've been eyeing that triple maduro myself. But with two boxes and a few samplers arriving tomorrow it will probably wait for a while.
    Do try it though when you can. The Triple Maduro is likely to be the richest, creamiest cigar you've had... at least that was my experience. A very tasty cigar to say the least.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    could you elaborate on the "rich" statement? like full bodied? or round? or what? i keep passing this cigar up at my local shop even though it peaks my intrest. i just feel like i should learn more about it for some reason.
    HA! Good one. I'd say rich not so much in body as it is decidedly medium-full, but more in flavor. I think the flavor profile could be described as creamy and round, though I cannot recall specific flavors ...I certainly don't recall it being sharp or having any bite to it, it was very smooth. I think it is worth trying, depending on how much you are willing to spend on a chance.

btw kuzi, You are more than welcome to a couple of the Triple Maduros I have if you'd like to try the cigar. Or if you'd like to propose a trade, either way.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Couple of things Lake. The 5 Vegas are Cinco Vegas. Second Bloom or Plume, is actually just the oils from the cigar crystallizing. It is a sign that the cigar is at its peak, why exactly, I'm not sure.
    That is not true. I posted this a while back: Plume/bloom is formed by a sudden condensation of volatile oils on the wrapper of the cigar from sudden changes to temperature/humidity. The oils condensed are eventually re-vaporized, depositing minerals dissolved in the oil in a crystallized form. Current theory, of course. BTW, bloom/plume is no sign of age or reckless care.
    I have been wanting to try the Tripe Maduro for a while but it is always sold out. I found a place that had it and went for it. Now, as for Heminways, I have never had the work of art but have had the others and LOVE them. I like the Anejo's too but getting them in a Torpedo is both hard and expensive. I LOVE my torpedos.
    j0z3r:
    rwheelwright:
    Holy mackerel, what is that, about 200 bills?

Whoever takes his credit card, take mine too... I'm a spend-a-holic.
    With shipping it was around $180. I can't wait for the Grand Arturo Aniversario to come out. However, I hear that it is going to be around $60 each which I will not pay. I'll wait for them to come down.