Home General Discussion

Magazines about Cigars?

Am in the magazine business so you know I have to find out what magazines cover cigars. I started looking around at what magazines cover the cigar world, found a few print, and a few blog/online types. Wanted to ask what you guys and gals liked and disliked about your favorite cigar magazine. Brian

Comments

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Probably the fact that most of them think we wear Rolexes, drive Ferraris, and date Playmates.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    Probably the fact that most of them think we wear Rolexes, drive Ferraris, and date Playmates.
    Huh? You mean you don't ? Pfft. :)
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I think you're going to find most people here read none of them, and the ones who do, read them only intermittently and then only to glance at the reviews.

As zoom indicates, the cigar mags are focused on a demographic we're not part of. We're not the audience they're interested in, and they're not the information source we're interested in. It's one of the reasons we come here -- to talk to other, like, normal cigar smokers.
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I have a subscription to "CA" and I'm not really sure it's a cigar magazine. If it's 100 pages, about 85% is about things other than cigars. Only near the end of the magazine will you find the reviews and a couple of articles.

Funny that a magazine with the word "cigar" in the title doesn't really talk much about them.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I agree, I have a subscription to "CA" also and I do love to read the mag and check out all the cool gagedts and high dollar things out there that I can't afford, but there really isn't much about cigars in it. I like the reviews but don't learn a whole lot about cigars from it.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I used to have a subscription to CA, and because of reasons listed I no longer have a subscription. If you want to make a great cigar magazine, you have to have a lot of reviews and interviews with cigar makers etc.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Big Dean:
    I used to have a subscription to CA, and because of reasons listed I no longer have a subscription. If you want to make a great cigar magazine, you have to have a lot of reviews and interviews with cigar makers etc.
    ditto
  • I was worried that is what the cigar magazine market was like. I work for a auto magazine that covers just one make. For the last six years we have turned down any advertisement that isn't directly related to the cars. Just because our readers drive a German sports car doesn't mean they take their private jet on vacations. I was about ready to subscribe to the three cigar magazines I found, might just wait. Brian
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    To be honest I get more from Ccom's monthy newsletter than I ever got out of CA or any of the others.
  • Madurofan, Am awaiting my first issue of cigar.com's newsletter, the more info the better for me!

Brian
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    To be honest I get more from Ccom's monthy newsletter than I ever got out of CA or any of the others.
    Hey Maddy, I use to subscribe mostly for the cigar reviews, but felt they may have been some what slanted based on who provided advertisement revenue. I get far better suggestions, honesty, and REAL reviews here with all of you than I ever did reading CA magazine.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Brian, no need to wait.

http://www.cigar.com/catalog/index.asp
  • Sweet, and back issues too! :) Need to fire up a CAO and read tonight! :)

Brian
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there was one that i cant remember the name of... my shop carries it. ill have to go get it and subscribe. there were many times where i was there by my self in the lounge reading this waiting for friends to show up. It was about every aspect of the cigar world and nothing else. from growing to smoking to blending to brand names to how brands advertise. it was sweet. ill get there soon if i can.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I wanna know what that one is!
  • That sounds interesting Kuz, let us know.

The last couple of CA's I read I bought because they had other articles, wine and UFC(fluff btw), but I agree they need to get over themselves and change the name. Arrogent Aficianado, maybe...
  • I haven't yet picked up any of the cigar magazines... but can the cigar makers advertise?
    I know with my publication on cars, we don't do anythng but the car. NO FLUFF
    If guys like CAO, Cigar.com etc advertise, it opens up the door for creating a publication geared towards what WE want.

Brian
    madurofan:
    I wanna know what that one is!
    Perhaps it's Cigar Magazine ( http://www.cigar-magazine.com/ )... sounds like the description, and I just happened to receive a free copy today in my CI order. Some cool articles, and no ads for cars, cologne, or watches... just cigars.
    I got that same mag zoom, also with an order from CI...or maybe CBID. I actually found it pretty interesting, I'd consider a subscription.

Not to mention its about $40 for a 2 year script.
    It's only 4 issues per year.
    oh, really? well, still $5 a pop isn't too bad.