Home Cigar 101

Tight Draw

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
This has probably been discussed before (did a "pet peeves" search, came up with bupkiss..), but I HATE a too tight draw! Received my Oliva Serie O torpedos yesterday that were ordered on the ccom daily deal. Of course, I HAD to have one right away. I like to use a punch, but of course I had to cut the torp....took off about 1/4 inch or so. The draw was WAY too tight. To make a long story short, I had to keep wacking the cigar with the cutter (about 1/8 inch at a time) until the draw imporved. Took off enough where you couldn't tell it was a torp. The cigar had nice flavors, but, man, it was like work! Got to the final 1/3 and just gave it up. I thought I remembered experiencing this before, so I went to my notebook, and sure enough, notes on this stick show "draw a little tight", but enjoyable. I am hoping it was just this particular cigar and they are not all so difficult. I know that torps can be a bit finicky....love the cigar, just HATE the draw. Any advice on this? Will rest improve draw?

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    gripnrip:
    This has probably been discussed before (did a "pet peeves" search, came up with bupkiss..), but I HATE a too tight draw! Received my Oliva Serie O torpedos yesterday that were ordered on the ccom daily deal. Of course, I HAD to have one right away. I like to use a punch, but of course I had to cut the torp....took off about 1/4 inch or so. The draw was WAY too tight. To make a long story short, I had to keep wacking the cigar with the cutter (about 1/8 inch at a time) until the draw imporved. Took off enough where you couldn't tell it was a torp. The cigar had nice flavors, but, man, it was like work! Got to the final 1/3 and just gave it up. I thought I remembered experiencing this before, so I went to my notebook, and sure enough, notes on this stick show "draw a little tight", but enjoyable. I am hoping it was just this particular cigar and they are not all so difficult. I know that torps can be a bit finicky....love the cigar, just HATE the draw. Any advice on this? Will rest improve draw?

1st yes, let them rest. The transportation - heated up and cooled down a few times, can cause a tight draw. Generally it is well received to rest anywhere from 2-6 weeks before smoking.

I typically fall into the trap of wanting to smoke 1 right out of the box too and typically find that my problem cigar ratio goes up exponentially!.

Also, you could have rolled the cigar between your thumb and forefinger a bit. Or once the torp was snipped you could have punched that cut. or Used the draw poker (some use a straightened out paperclip instead of buying the fancy dancy unit.....

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Storing cigars in an overhumidified environment can also cause a tight draw, since the humidity will make the fillers expand. 65% RH is where it's at.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys....all good suggestions. I'll let 'em rest and try again.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i ran into that with and opus i smoked the other day. cut barely anything off the first time. then cut a little bit more off and it drew so smooth. also +1 to the rolling of the cigar in the fingers. that helps a lot just make sure you dont do it too rough.
  • Ive ran into that problem a few times as well...Although it is difficult, I let my new smokes sit at least 3 weeks in the humi before i smoke em....
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Storing cigars in an overhumidified environment can also cause a tight draw, since the humidity will make the fillers expand. 65% RH is where it's at.

+1
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    When I get one that's too tight I'll look at the cut end and find the fattest leaf and pull it out. 95% of the time that fixes it.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I also keep mine 65-67% RH.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yeah I try to keep my smokes in the low 60s...
    Rarely have draw issues.

cabinetmaker:
    When I get one that's too tight I'll look at the cut end and find the fattest leaf and pull it out. 95% of the time that fixes it.
    wow, ive never heard of this before. .... Does that change the flavor profile of your cigar?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    sightunseen:

+1
    i agree to an extent. 70% shouldnt cause tight draw.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:
    sightunseen:

+1
    i agree to an extent. 70% shouldnt cause tight draw.

I've been keeping my RH at 70 and have had zero draw issues that would not also have happened at 65%...by that I mean too tightly packed or plugged. I did 65 for a good while and have come to find out I just like 70 better.
    Another thing to try is the **** cut. I think it was named after a sales manager at Altadis. The **** cut involves cutting torpedos at a 45 degree angle, thereby increasing the surface area of the cut. I've never done it myself. Anyone else done this? Not sure how much help it would be if the cigar was too tightly packed or plugged.
    sightunseen:
    Another thing to try is the **** cut. I think it was named after a sales manager at Altadis. The **** cut involves cutting torpedos at a 45 degree angle, thereby increasing the surface area of the cut. I've never done it myself. Anyone else done this? Not sure how much help it would be if the cigar was too tightly packed or plugged.

Why is that, did the guys briss go horribly wrong?

Fourtotheflush:
    sightunseen:

Why is that, did the guys briss go horribly wrong?

Hahaha. I think the sales manager's name was Richard. I'm afraid to Google the term while I'm at work.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    lol on that