Home Cigar 101

cigars in a tube?

hello fellas, i have a Question about cigars in a tube..id like some input..if i buy a box do they need to be humidified. should i leave them in the tube or take them out and put them in my humidor. thanks i cant wait to hear you thoughts...

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Definitely keep them humidified... your choice on leaving them in the tube. Some do, some don't. Some play it like a savvy politician and just take the tops off the tubes but leave the cigars inside.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm the latter. Take the caps off but leave them in the tube.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have started keeping them in the tube and never opening them ever. (well.... untill i light em)
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i have started keeping them in the tube and never opening them ever. (well.... untill i light em)
    Perfect answer.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Same here
    lets kick it up a notch...

i wont even buy it if the seal has been broken.

i figure, why take em out and open them up if the maker put em in there for a reason. if they werent SUPPOSED to be in there, they woulda put em in cello.
    Seal? I haven't had a lot of tubos(not really my thing) but non of the ones I've had have a seal on them.

This is kinda like the cello argument, it makes no difference how you do it. Taking the cigar completely out of the tube will change it because you lose the cedar wrapping but aside from that ...
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    im cap off and leave in tube
    madurofan:
    Seal? I haven't had a lot of tubos(not really my thing) but non of the ones I've had have a seal on them.

This is kinda like the cello argument, it makes no difference how you do it. Taking the cigar completely out of the tube will change it because you lose the cedar wrapping but aside from that ...
    hmmm.... every tubo (minus one) that i have ever had has a seal on em.
    links to show tobos with seal:

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=433
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=456
    hard to see on thsi one http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=529

I also have a RyJ ISOM that has a paper seal to show that the tubo has never been opened. the size is "short chruchill" for those who wanna look it up.

also, you are right. it is like the cello. Do what makes you happy. i like my frame of thought just like you like yours. who knows who is "right" and in reality, who cares? ... as long as we are getting enjoyment out of em. isnt that the point?
    kuzi16:
    also, you are right. it is like the cello. Do what makes you happy. i like my frame of thought just like you like yours. who knows who is "right" and in reality, who cares? ... as long as we are getting enjoyment out of em. isnt that the point?
    I couldn't agree more.

Hmm maybe I'm just forgetting on my domestic tubos. I did know that ISOMs always had a seal, just didn't mention it.
  • I remember going through all the 'cuban' tubos in the Hajji shops in Iraq. Most of them had been handled but all were dry. Now they were not kept in humidors. So, if they are kept in tubos and they are not in a humidor, how long should they keep? These had no paper seal on the outside and I don't remember there being a seal in the inside.
    i keep my tubos that are sealed in a humi so i dont knwo how long they would keep out of one.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    I remember going through all the 'cuban' tubos in the Hajji shops in Iraq. Most of them had been handled but all were dry. Now they were not kept in humidors. So, if they are kept in tubos and they are not in a humidor, how long should they keep? These had no paper seal on the outside and I don't remember there being a seal in the inside.
    In theory, a properly sealed tubo should keep indefinitely without even needing to be in a humidor since the seal should not allow any air exchange or loss of humidity...at least that's what I would tend to think, but I've been wrong on more than one occasion. If that holds true though, then the only factors needing to be controlled are temperature and exposure to sunlight.
    though they are sealed with paper and/or plastic and they are in a tube that is presumably closed tightly, i dont trust anything. I cant say for sure that there is zero air exchange, but it hink that is the goal. thatas why i still keep em in the humi.
  • I know a lot of the ones i saw had been opened before but I usually dug for the ones on the bottom. I would say that they don't RH well but I couldn't tell you how long it would last. Especially in these conditions. My advice...keep them sealed but keep them IN a humidor. Heck maybe even reuse the tubos for travel by having them rest in the tubo for at least a week prior.
    I imagine there has to be some air exchange, otherwise how would they maintain an RH?
    madurofan:
    I imagine there has to be some air exchange, otherwise how would they maintain an RH?
    in a truely sealed environment nothing goes in and nothing goes out. if the cigar is at 70% RH and its put in the tube whilel the air around it is at 70% and then we have a true seal there should be no deviation from 70% humidity. how could there be? the moisture doesnt just dissapear.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Magic moisture fairies take it.
  • Those Basstards...

You mean you don't have anti-fairy beads?
    They make anti-fairy beads? I just bought the regular fairy beads -- the ones that capture or release fairies, as needed. But mine don't do the capture thing very well.
  • They're smaller, almost like pixie dust.
    Oh, sure, bring pixies into it.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    in a truely sealed environment nothing goes in and nothing goes out. if the cigar is at 70% RH and its put in the tube whilel the air around it is at 70% and then we have a true seal there should be no deviation from 70% humidity. how could there be? the moisture doesnt just dissapear.
    I think it would be impossible to get a perfect seal with a cigar tube and if it was there is no reason to store them in a humidor. Second you would be correct I imagine barring any changes in temperature, which will raise or lower RH if I understand all this correctly. Finally this is purely opinion but I can't imagine that the cigar and tubes are taken into a room with perfect humidity allowed to settle at the RH and then sealed in that room. I imagine they are put in tubes on the rolling room floor which I doubt is at a perfect RH. I would think it is temperature controlled to prevent beetles and maybe some form of humidification is there but i doubt its at 70/70.
    No, perhaps the rolling room floor is not a perfect 70/70, but the freshly rolled cigars are likely to have a higher than normal humidity content, which would create the atmosphere inside of the sealed tube.
  • My smokes are'nt made in a sweat shop like my shoes are, I'm just disappointed now. The hard work and sweat should keep it at LEAST 70/70 in there.
    Joe,
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if the humidity was higher than normal(idk say 75%) wouldn't that mean the RH inside a perfectly sealed tube would remain at 75%?
    Perhaps maddy. I was throwing out a hypothetical scenario though, I really don't claim to know anything as far as this goes, just an idea of how it may work.
    j0z3r:
    Perhaps maddy. I was throwing out a hypothetical scenario though, I really don't claim to know anything as far as this goes, just an idea of how it may work.
    Me too.